Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: danzan ryu/drunk fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wtf?slappy kenpo?

just asking a question,is speed slapping the norm for american kenpo.having watched the videos from such people as larry tatum and some shaolin kempo...:thefinger i was woundering is that part of the art or more bs?it does'nt seem practical.all speed no torque or power.do they teach slapping in chinese kenpo?am trying to get an idea if its something new to the american styles of kenpo or taught that way in every system.and what would the benefits of "speed slapping"be in a real fight?:new_beamm
  2. TKDBot

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, in sorte diabol! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:46pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is where this question belongs if you seriously want the answers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the input,ill post it in the correct section.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and yes i am trying to get a good undertsanding if the slappy stuff is the norm or just bullshido.would like to get a good cross section of the different styles,tracy's,castro's,ussd..ect.it just seems so uneffective.cheers.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 7:24pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by that post?

Are you asking if slapping is a part of most ke?po styles?

That'd be pretty goofy, if you ask me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 7:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats what i was asking.from an observation of some of the masters,larry tatum the tracy's system.it seems the do a lot of what i'll call speed slapping.is that the norm or bullshido?what could it be effective against.in danzan ryu you are taught to hit through the target,same as boxing or other arts i would assume.but this speed slapping...baffling.i was asking if its just an american kenpo thing or if all the styles practice it that way.i have heard that kenpo is known for their speed hits but slapping,just seems none effective.no torgue,or momentum.just speed and a slap.to me it seems counter productive,looks cool on you tube but in a real fight you would get owned doing that crap.cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 2:42pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by in sorte diabol
    thats what i was asking.from an observation of some of the masters,larry tatum the tracy's system.it seems the do a lot of what i'll call speed slapping.is that the norm or bullshido?what could it be effective against.in danzan ryu you are taught to hit through the target,same as boxing or other arts i would assume.but this speed slapping...baffling.i was asking if its just an american kenpo thing or if all the styles practice it that way.i have heard that kenpo is known for their speed hits but slapping,just seems none effective.no torgue,or momentum.just speed and a slap.to me it seems counter productive,looks cool on you tube but in a real fight you would get owned doing that crap.cheers.
    I know this is an old post, but the "SLAPPING" in real American Kenpo is more rebouunding off yourself instead of wasting energy trying to stop a strike returning to yourself so you can, for lack of a better word, bounce it back to your next strike. These guys who SLAP their opponents are trying to impress. We do similar strikes, but the are handswords, palm thrusts and backfists executed with as much force as possible. I have worked with Frank Trejo and I can tell you straight up, he don't slap. Tatum I have also seen hardly touches his students as in, RARE that he makes contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 3:03pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by draygin
    I know this is an old post, but the "SLAPPING" in real American Kenpo is more rebouunding off yourself instead of wasting energy trying to stop a strike returning to yourself so you can, for lack of a better word, bounce it back to your next strike. These guys who SLAP their opponents are trying to impress. We do similar strikes, but the are handswords, palm thrusts and backfists executed with as much force as possible. I have worked with Frank Trejo and I can tell you straight up, he don't slap. Tatum I have also seen hardly touches his students as in, RARE that he makes contact.
    Somehow I doubt the logic of the self-slapping would stand up to serious bio-mechanical inquiry.

It would be a fun study to conduct however.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:51am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You would have to present more resistance to stop a returning strike into a forward strike if you stopped it in mid air. If you took the rebound, which all science knows to be true, you would not be relying on muscle it would be physics. It's not the ignorant self slapping for those who do not comprehend, it is not wasting the energy to stop an object in motion. Some Newton **** Spock. I believe the mass of the body would outweigh the mass of the arm. But studies could be in order for that. After all, it is feasible for an arm to weigh 200 lbs and a body to weigh 160 lbs. Wait, no it's not.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast