Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Baji, MuayThai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Personal Security

Before anyone says 'search function', I have already read a thread called Private Security and some of the other related ones. To me this is an LEO/Military question so I am posting it here. Also, I don't suffer from any 'teh deadly' fantasies: Iím just a guy with a military background that needs some career counseling.

I am basically wondering if there is anything legitimate to this business at all. I am sure you have a lot of these 'bodyguard' schools advertised on the internet but I am rather suspicious.

Of the ones that seem most reputable are ESI and Center for Advanced Security Studies Not that I am buying into anything, itís just that they seem the least fake. Besides a BBB report (non member) its hard to get any kind of independent information about these schools, so if you have any first hand (or even second hand) experience with these companies you would be doing me a great favor.

From reading the other thread it did seem that were a few people with some experience in this business so anything you can tell me would be great. How realistic is it to get into this business and be legit?

P.S. If the font color seems weird itís because I accidentally changed it. :confused3

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martialmind, your question is a very valid one. There are many people out there trying to make a buck on certifications in personal protection industry.

I've been in the industry are about 15 years. With your military background, you should break in a little easier than most, but having a criminal justice background would help also private investigations license class a must.

ESI has been around for a long time and has a very good certification program, and it is taken seriously in the industry I know a couple of the graduates from ESI and they've done very well.

Another way of getting into personal protection is through private security and private investigation firm that can sponsor you to obtain your class license that's how most of us have started. Make sure the firm or private investigation company is a good one see who their clients are. You might have to deal with serving papers, insurance investigation, and so on in the beginning with some firms. Or you can look for firms that only deal in protection services.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 12:33am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kooler has it pretty muhc on the nose. In florida Most of your PP work is done By PI's which requires 2years of inturning or 6 months of police akademy and 1 year as an intern.

Very few people here in florida do much in the way of PP with a security firm unless your firm gets a contract for a major event and theres stipulations for PP on individual's. Then getting that work in all honesty is a matter of 3 things. How presentable you are tot he public,How much the bosses like you and finaly how well qualified you are to do the job. But secuirty firsm in florida that do PP work can only do it for a limited time since None PI license holders can't carry Conceled except for a set limited time.

My suggestion is check the states laws on where you plan to work and then figure your probably gonna need a PI license if you want to do PP work on a regular basis.

PP= Personal protection
    PI = Privite Investagtor

quick reply with no spell checkl
    Worthless

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 2:04am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The good, steady work is like anything else for that type of person, it's all in who you know. In fact, if you're willing to sacrifice a few years to the Secret Service (depending on your civilian record) you might have a better chance. What's five years protecting over payed politicians when it will help you protect wealthy private individuals down the line, making a lot more.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 4:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, to recap: ESI has good enough credibility to get a foothold in this business?

"Another way of getting into personal protection is through private security and private investigation firm that can sponsor you to obtain your class license that's how most of us have started. Make sure the firm or private investigation company is a good one see who their clients are. You might have to deal with serving papers, insurance investigation, and so on in the beginning with some firms. Or you can look for firms that only deal in protection services."

Kooler, is there anyway you could toss me a few leads to potential sponsors?

Also, dose anyone know specificly about Center for Advanced security studies. Their website is brief but they give you what I though an informitive packet upon request. I have also spoken on the phone with them a few times. (same with ESI)

http://www.bodyguardschool.com/index.htm

So far everyone has been very helpful, so thanks. If you can perhaps provide some more specific details on places to get started I would be much obliged.

Also, in all honsety, I would prefer to work outside the US as have spent more time outside it than in the last 6 or 7 years.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 6:31pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gavin DeBecker & Assoc. is an excellent firm with a very unique and pragmatic approach to personal protection.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 6:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Gavin DeBecker & Assoc. is an excellent firm with a very unique and pragmatic approach to personal protection.
    Thanks SFGOON.

Just one question: is this a group that you have worked with personally?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 8:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not here to encourage you or discourage you about getting involved in personal protection.

But let me give you little insight about it. Not like you've seen in the movies. Everybody wants the title prestige the stigma about being a bodyguard or being a part personal protection business.

For one. It is a job, and you have to be certain kind of person to be happy in this job. This is definitely not a nine to five job. So, if you have a girlfriend. You might have had one. After getting a job in personal protection. Also, if you're married hope she understanding. See its your duty to protect and serve, but you really serve more than you protect, you are at your beckin call to the principle.

For whatever he or she needs. Also, I hope you like standing in one place, for long periods of time. Sometimes all you get to eat are protein bars, if you're smart enough to pack them. What trying to say it's not very glamorous, or what you may think. Of course, that Depends on who you're principle is. If you go into it as a career and not as an image thing to impress people you'll do well.

So do your research really look into it before you decide to go forward. ESI, and many other agencies that provide certifications for personal protection can get expensive. I don't want to go through something, and spend all this money and they realized, that is not what you thought it was the first place.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 8:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I understand of the field, most of it is standing watch and running errands for assholes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Im not looking for excitement, just trying to get paid for what I know.

*spelling edit
    Last edited by MartialMind; 9/11/2007 9:02pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialMind
    From what I understand of the field, most of it is standing watch and running errands for assholes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Im not looking for excitement, just trying to get paid for what I know.
    Wow, that a reality check LOL! Yeah. That pretty much sums it up. Well, if you have that understanding our mindset going in. You'll do a lot better than most. You'll see tons of guys dropping out. Once they learn what job is all about. Also, there are many pluses to the job, but that takes little time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast