Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 12:36am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 good months of grappling is all you really need, which came directly from someone I know who's a BJJ brown belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 1:14am

Style: Defense Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to be good you have to train a lot. If you just want to survive I'd say learning to sprawl, clinch and guardplay is a good start, but if someone passes your guard you're in trouble. Most likely you need to learn lots of other stuff too.

It's hard to say how long does this take. If you're natural talent and you train hard, you might learn the needed grappling in few months. If you're fish out of water and lazy/busy it might take several years to learn decent sprawl, clinch and guardplay.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 5:22am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard Joe Rogan say that Greco was the best style of wrestling for MMA in the latest Couture fight. I found it an interesting comment at the time, for the reasons mentioned above about leg attacks etc.

Kind of like saying it's best to do a narrow set of skills very well rather than do a wide range of things half well. Also interesting because that's Randy's striking strategy as well - pretty much only uses boxing most of the time.

Mind you, he's been vulnerable to double legs before - Ricco Rodriguez springs to mind.

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 11:26am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long? As others have stated, it depends. I'd guess with lower level local circuits, 160 hours of mat time under a good well-rounded grappling instructor might be sufficient to allow you to survive. This would be about six months of training for 6 hours a week. Or a year's worth of training at 3 hours a week.

This is assuming that you're reasonably athletic and intelligent, and that the coach is good. It is also assuming that you'll be fighting someone with a limited amount of experience. It is also assuming that you are a dominant enough stiker to pull out a win via striking, and are just learning enough groundwork to survive and stand back up.

Those are some pretty big assumptions.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 1:49pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    And, also...

In greco-roman wrestling, you are not allowed to attack the legs. No leg attacks = no takedowns.
    well, the argument can be made that hip tosses, and other throws are considered takedowns as it does put a person on the ground. That's what I was getting at when I said I thought you meant leg attack takedowns.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    i wasn't aware asking how much training or what styles of grappling can complement a proficient striker to make the fighter effective in MMA was that stupid, guess i am just way off.

and... wow. that was some... interesting stuff forgetit.

"find a real MMA coach" is pretty easy to say without factoring in there is only 1 MMA school in the entire country.
    I did not mean to say that to have the meaning of, "stupid"! I mean "Dum" in that measureing a unit of time and proficent skill is a large subsubject of thought! In no way does dum mean stupid! Dum means that you are seeking something you are unaware of! Stupid means you will not even try to understand.

In some ways the answer of first train with a MMA coach or a BJJ instructor! So you can some what creat a list of things you want to practice over so much time to improve your skill. The reason everyone is like "what do I say to this" is because each person want and needs differ. Notice most skilled martial artist in the UFC and WEC are very intelligent people. Several have atleast a Bachlor degree.

A simple suggestion, go to a BJJ school get a list of requirements and techniques. Than go to MMA gym ask for same thing say you are thinking about joining but you need to know what will be taught. Take list diffine what you like by looking on internet or talking to somone that has the skill already. Creat after that your own defined list of what you feel you need to be proficient. This takes more than just one weakend to become aware of just what you need and want. When you can approach it like a grown man and accept the boring stuff like the preparing the idea. You will be able to improve quicker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123