224947 Bullies, 3899 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 93
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Tonuzaba is offline
    Tonuzaba's Avatar

    C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,596

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 7:14am

    supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOOD NEWY I GAVED UP ZE WINGTSUN COZ RUNNINGDOG BEATED ME UP HURR HURR

    CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

    "Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
  2. Askari is offline

    The Bottom Brick

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 7:20am


     Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I have the one oddly positive series to relate. And yes, at the time, I was an instructor of the deadly __ing __un.

    1) Instructor was a cross-trained multi-styles of kung-fu and western boxing.

    2) We sparred, and a number of us (including myself) fought in tournaments and worked in bars as bouncers.

    3) The problem was never, could I hang with another stand up stylist that had trained for about as long as I had, and I could easily win against an idiot at the bar, the problem was that I got my ass handed to me by a Jiu-Jitsu fighter.

    4) Asked my __ing __un instructor what I should do about it, he told me to start cross training Jiu-Jitsu.

    5) It was a very long time ago, now I am a JJ stylist.
    Last edited by Askari; 9/09/2007 7:29am at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
  3. Backdraft is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UmeŚ, Sweden/ Paris, France
    Posts
    1,235

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 9:28am


     Style: Shootfighting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HazelIsNuts
    No alternatives where I live. And hey, its only 10 bucks a month, three days per week, one and a half hours.
    Wich part of "just quit anyway" don't you understand? I promise, you'd be better off doing nothing then having to spend months unlearning **** when and if you find a good school.
  4. twistor59 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 10:29am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little while back I decided to try a MA. Didn't know anything up to date about MAs at all. Some internet sources said WC was very effective, and not kicking-based was good for me since I have short legs, so I joined a WC club. The lessons I did concentrated on a thing called the "arrow walk", which the instructor was very keen we did right down to the last detail, also "rolling hands" drill (lok sau ?). Did a bit of punch and simultaneous block and counter.

    The thing for me was that ALL the movements felt extremely unnatural. I couldn't see how even after 10 years of drilling, these would ever feel natural. I watched the advanced students doing their forms - couldn't understand the fighting applications of them at all.

    Only lasted about 6 lessons in all - after more internet searching (a bit more thorough this time), I joined an MMA based club (yeah my legs are still short, so I can't kick anyone above the thigh!). Now I sweat, ache, get bruised every week, but somehow I think I'm enjoying it. Wierd really.
  5. kikkuchiyo is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    81

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:19pm


     Style: Anything that works

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first MA was Wing Chun. One day, as I watched "Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story" I realized that there were remarkable similarities between the dummy form I was being taught by "Sifu" and the one performed by young Bruce in the film. "There can be only one explanation!!!" I thought. "I'm learning the same type of WC that Bruce knew!!!" Keep in mind I was 12 at the time. When I was 13, my science teacher taught us about Occam's Razor* and I realized that "Sifu" was in fact a massive LARPer; He had been teaching me techniques from kung fu movies. Thank god I never actually got into a fight... On the upside, it drove me away from CMA forever.

    *Occam's Razor is a theory against unnecessary hypothesis. The Backbone is "entia non sunt multiplicanda pra eter necessitatem" or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity( i.e. all things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the right one). By definition, all assumptions introduce possibilities for error; If an assumption does not improve the accuracy of a theory, its only effect is to increase the probability that the overall theory is wrong.
  6. Uri Shatil is offline
    Uri Shatil's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greater Boston
    Posts
    744

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 10:40pm


     Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HazelIsNuts
    No alternatives where I live. And hey, its only 10 bucks a month, three days per week, one and a half hours.
    Where do you live?

    There are Judo clubs that cheap everywhere.
  7. Munacra is offline
    Munacra's Avatar

    I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,292

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 11:34pm


     Style: Gentleman Adventurer

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, my Judo club comes out to about $2.91 a month.
  8. Vankuen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    141

    Posted On:
    9/09/2007 11:43pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Maybe I have the one oddly positive series to relate. And yes, at the time, I was an instructor of the deadly __ing __un.

    1) Instructor was a cross-trained multi-styles of kung-fu and western boxing.

    2) We sparred, and a number of us (including myself) fought in tournaments and worked in bars as bouncers.

    3) The problem was never, could I hang with another stand up stylist that had trained for about as long as I had, and I could easily win against an idiot at the bar, the problem was that I got my ass handed to me by a Jiu-Jitsu fighter.

    4) Asked my __ing __un instructor what I should do about it, he told me to start cross training Jiu-Jitsu.

    5) It was a very long time ago, now I am a JJ stylist.
    I concur that not all WC places are bad. Most of my wing chun training was on a more personal level though. While in my early teens my father married a hawaiian woman, who had two sons. They were raised in the "rough" areas of Hawaii. Thus I started learning wing chun from my step brother. The training was nothing like what I later found at commercial schools though. I didn't learn any of the forms, nor did I really do much chi sao. My step brother felt that the techniques in wing chun were good, but that there was a lot of crap too. So I learned the punches, parries, trapping, kicks, etc...through actual two man work, sparring, and the like. I also simultaneously trained in muay thai with my stepbrother's best friend (he was from thailand). So my early chun and muay thai training were kind mixed together.

    Later, I went to a few commercial places, but didn't stay long. I didn't like having to go back and simply do chain punches, or footwork, or the form set the entire class. And athough I got pretty good at chi sao, I didn't particularly like doing it (I also noticed that those that were very good at it, often times weren't very good at full contact fighting--though I feel that this is because they spent all their time practicing chi sao in place of sparring).

    The best wing chun place I found though, was a wing tsun place of the Boztepe camp. The class consisted of basic exercises, a little bit of form work, and the rest of the time was focus mitts, bag work, partner work, or sparring. The end of every class was a 30 minute circuit training program. The instructor was an ex-bouncer (who now was a lawyer and owned his own nightclub) and was in VERY VERY good shape. The class wasn't against learning other techniques that were proven in fighting, I often times found myself on my back and the training evolving into grappling. The instructors good friend was a judo/jujutsu stylist who would come in from time to time to give us some tips about ground work as well.

    I didn't stay there though...because although the training was good, I honestly didn't feel like going through the politics and money costs of going through the ranking system. Not to mention that I have a broken wrist with a screw in it. The chain punching on the wall matts was doing a number on my wrist.

    In any case--my wing chun hypothosis is that it provides some good threories and relatively simple tools. I think that idea of simultaneous block and attack is a good one, I think the ideals of efficiency are well intended, and I think that some people can become very effective with it. But it's nowhere near being as dependable as other arts that train with a better regimen.
  9. WorldWarCheese is offline
    WorldWarCheese's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,121

    Posted On:
    9/10/2007 12:23am


     Style: Muay Thai n00b

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikkuchiyo
    My first MA was Wing Chun. One day, as I watched "Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story" I realized that there were remarkable similarities between the dummy form I was being taught by "Sifu" and the one performed by young Bruce in the film. "There can be only one explanation!!!" I thought. "I'm learning the same type of WC that Bruce knew!!!" Keep in mind I was 12 at the time. When I was 13, my science teacher taught us about Occam's Razor* and I realized that "Sifu" was in fact a massive LARPer; He had been teaching me techniques from kung fu movies. Thank god I never actually got into a fight... On the upside, it drove me away from CMA forever.

    *Occam's Razor is a theory against unnecessary hypothesis. The Backbone is "entia non sunt multiplicanda pra eter necessitatem" or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity( i.e. all things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the right one). By definition, all assumptions introduce possibilities for error; If an assumption does not improve the accuracy of a theory, its only effect is to increase the probability that the overall theory is wrong.
    Elementary Science Class: 1
    _ing _un: 0
  10. HazelIsNuts is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    9/10/2007 9:31am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Styles

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    Where do you live?

    There are Judo clubs that cheap everywhere.
    I already did Judo for a long time and want to do some striking stuff. Training Luta Livre for ground and takedowns now and have no alternative other than to do the Chun for strikes and defending strikes.

    No Boxing there, TKD is th3 L0L here, Muay Thai not available, Karate is a McDojo.

    And in my eyes WT is not worth less than nothing. Not much more though, but definitely not less.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.