Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bringing Aliveness back to Traditional MA's

Hi, I study Isshinryu Karate in Granite Bay (Sacramento), CA at Joslin's East West Karate.

Back in the day, Masters Joslin (yes, there's two of them, Dave and Ron) had their black belts do a lot of full contact sparring in competition and in the dojo. When they trained, they did so bare knuckle, outdoors.

Now, black belts don't compete full contact anywhere near as often as they did ten years ago. Most of the competition the underbelts do is point sparring (which I have a lot of experience in). I believe the change happened when they expanded their dojo, from having a few dozen guys (in their 20's and 30's) training out of garages to having a few hundred people (of all ages) in two permanent dojos.

We do continuous sparring, and a few locks and takedowns with resisting opponents (not as much as BJJ, however), but I wouldn't consider our traning to be "alive".

How might I approach my instructors if I wanted them to revert to the old ways, which were much more alive?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:41pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go up to him, start cursing at him, and try to kick him in the face. You'll get some good aliveness like that.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want aliveness you have to ask yourself why you are hanging around Isshin-ryu clubs. What did you have in mind for alive training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 10:23pm

Style: MM to tha A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cut out the middle man and go straight to MMA. It's going to end up looking like MMA anyway, only minus the technical skill.

That's all I realized from watching people try to bring "alivness" into their TMA. Cut out the middle man.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 11:20pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might be better off getting a few people from you're school that want to train the way you do, and doing some sparring on the side.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 11:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    You might be better off getting a few people from you're school that want to train the way you do, and doing some sparring on the side.
    Agreed. Then you'll see that Aikikat was right.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 1:20am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On an unrelated note, I've been watching some of those professional footballers on TV. Me and my friends have a friendly touch football game going down at the park but I've been looking to bring some more intensity into it so it's more like the pros.

Any advice on how I should do this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 1:41am

Style: Tae Kwon Did

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    On an unrelated note, I've been watching some of those professional footballers on TV. Me and my friends have a friendly touch football game going down at the park but I've been looking to bring some more intensity into it so it's more like the pros.

Any advice on how I should do this?
    I believe that either you start tackling them until it turns into something like the pros, or get some people who want to play tackle football and wait for your friends to join in. Also, if you get paid thousands of dollars, I heard it helps intensify everything you do.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 2:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You wouldn't be dissin' the way we play touch football. Me and some dimmak mates get together to play T3h Death Touch Football. It's far too dangerous for tackle. (besides we have the anti-tackle.)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 2:31am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast