Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 7:49pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am at the Russian Kettlebell Challenge

It is t3h hard. Review to come on Monday, after an 18 hour nap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 11:20am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bear crawl up the length of a football field?

I've heard its insane

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here it is;

The Russian Kettlebell Challenge is two things - informative and rigorous. The RKC is an extremely professional, high quality organization which was apparent from day one. The head instructor was unable to attend on Friday (he had jury duty in LA) and his staff was able to compensate for his absence without a hitch. Timelines were strictly adhered to, and lectures were followed by small group instruction by a senior member f the RKC staff. The ratio of instructors to students was roughly 2.5/1 which insured their availability.

The instruction itself did not have a great deal of breadth. We were taught only six exercises, and they were the most basic. Swings, Turkish Get-ups, military presses, cleans, snatches, and front squats were that were covered. Most of the instruction focused on correcting form techniques, and students are expected to demonstrate perfect form in addition to being able to correct it for others. There is no written test. Your knowledge must be applicable and teachable.

There were several gut checks throughout the course. The graduation workout was tough, don't get me wrong, but what truly handed me my own ass was the first one which consisted of 200 swings in 10 minutes. I was showing teeth and screaming to keep going to the amusement of my instructors. Other workouts were switching between swings and Turkish Get ups for 12 minutes, or ladders of military presses. The worst was 20 snatches followed by wheelbarrows for 10 minutes. The body is exhausted from the beginning making humility an unspoken requirement for completion.

The overall mood of the course is one of hard work and study, but in a very positive, encouraging and respectful atmosphere. I myself failed my snatch test all three times, but this failure was met with nothing but positivity, reassurance, and further coaching. I will be granted my RKC as soon as I submit a video of myself passing the snatch test to my instructor. I noticed that most of the people who were unable to pass the test failed due to their small hands, (I have girlier hands than my wife,) and any future attendees with this issue should have their snatches dialed in at least 20 above what is required. Also, come in WELL underweight for the amount of snatches you want to do.

Overall, it was an extremely positive and educational experience and I would recommend it to anyone who has the physical and emotional fortitude to learn and concentrate while exhausted. It's not for everyone, and there were a small handful of individual who dropped out of the course. Be in good shape before you show up and be prepared to learn the basics all over again. Thank you for reading my e-soliloquy, and should you have any question I will gladly answer them in this thread.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha, welcome to the club, comrade. I did the RKC in Oct 04. Aside from the fact that our instructor/student ratio was about 5:1, it sounds just like I remember it. The snatch test was a killer, and the Oct 04 RKC was the first one where the new snatch requirements were instituted. I didn't realize this until I was there, and needless to say, I was less prepared than I should have been. I failed my snatch test on the last day of the seminar. But the experience was still fantastic.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much did it cost? Do thy teach you if you know nothing or is it a certification course for instructors??

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you know nothing, do not go. It is a certification curse for instructors and you are expected to be familiar with all the foundational exercises and have practiced for at least a year before you attend. Prices range from 1,000 to 1500$ depending on how early you register.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    ...It is a certification curse for instructors...
    Hahahah, fitting typo...:icon_joke
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa