Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 4:22am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably as soon as they're old enough to walk into your room and start playing with it.

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 4:46am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the best way to teach a kid about the seriousness of a firearm is to take them hunting. Don't give them a gun yet. Shoot and kill an animal, preferable cute. Then make them hold onto the feet while you gut it, and skin it. If they cry, smack them in the mouth (edit: Ok, i'm not being serious but at least explain the situation to them here).

They'll get the picture in one morning that guns are fucking dangerous while they watch bambi tranform from a beautiful woodland creature, to a dead smelly mass of blood and fur, and finally into bloody chunks of meat. They may also resent you for the rest of the afternoon, but what the hell? You successfully expounded on five important concepts at the same time: Guns are not toys, death is permanent, everything living eventually dies, sometimes people kill to eat and don't whine while daddy is covered in blood.

Edit: to me shooting something that isn't living doesn't quite completely relate the story to them. if they want to go practice shooting, why not, but for it to really drive the message home, take them out to actually kill something with the gun.

They'll get the message when they watch the creature die exactly how dangerous guns are and what the true value of killing is. For fun, it's not much, but for survival it is vital.

P.S. Seriously though, if you don't know anything about hunting... FOR GOD'S SAKE, START WITH SMALL GAME AND DON'T TAKE YOUR KIDS WITH YOU WHILE YOU ARE LEARNING!!!!
    Last edited by Sun Wukong; 9/09/2007 4:56am at .
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 9:53am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    What age should you start teaching kids about guns?

“Teaching” is a pretty general term. What do you mean by teach?

My daughter is only 1 ˝ years old and I am already teaching her. Does this mean I let her handle firearms or take her to the range?

NO!

I teacher her age appropriate things. Sometimes she will see my weapon while it is holstered on my hip and she will try to grab at it. I calmly tell her no and remove her hand. This is all I can do at her age, but it is a start.

If you want to know when a child can handle or fire a gun then it really depends on the child. Every child matures mentally, emotional, and physically at different rates. A child needs the physical strength, dexterity, and motor muscle control as well as a certain amount of psychological maturity.

Only you can say when your child is ready.

:eatbabies

poser

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 10:29am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_ketchens
    They'll get the picture in one morning that guns are fucking dangerous while they watch bambi tranform from a beautiful woodland creature, to a dead smelly mass of blood and fur, and finally into bloody chunks of meat. They may also resent you for the rest of the afternoon, but what the hell? You successfully expounded on five important concepts at the same time: Guns are not toys, death is permanent, everything living eventually dies, sometimes people kill to eat and don't whine while daddy is covered in blood.
    Good point, except I myself wouldn't want to kill to eat unless I absolutely needed to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Good point, except I myself wouldn't want to kill to eat unless I absolutely needed to.

I don’t mean to troll, I am genuinely curious. Are you a vegetarian? Do you eat meat?
    If you do eat meat then you are killing to eat, you are just paying somebody to do the dirty work for you.

:virus:

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 11:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome stuff. People who are gun-phobic have almost always NEVER been shooting themselves. People who have grown up around guns generally have massive respect for the damage they can cause.

Whereas ignorance is often fatal - when I was a nipper, a kid on my soccer team got blown away by his best friend while fucking with his father's "unloaded" gun.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Whereas ignorance is often fatal - when I was a nipper, a kid on my soccer team got blown away by his best friend while fucking with his father's "unloaded" gun.
    My point exactly.

I've been fortunate enough that I didn't have a personal example to offer up earlier. Tragically, that's far from universal...
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 1:02pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and for the sake of humor, this is how the Brittish take on gun safety. You poor, poor bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7jr0S1frWM

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 1:10pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Awesome stuff. People who are gun-phobic have almost always NEVER been shooting themselves. People who have grown up around guns generally have massive respect for the damage they can cause.
    I'd agree with that. It's the people who have never handled a gun that do the stupid stuff. I had a "non-gun person" pick up and point a handgun straight at me while they checked it out. They didn't understand why I got upset at them. That incident gave me the excuse to go take a safety course. I had learned to shoot as a kid in scouts, but hadn't learned safety in a systematic way.

There's a difference (in Canada anyway) between rural and urban populations. People from outside large cities get exposure to guns and at least some idea of gun safety a potential risks. Urban people generally have almost no exposure to guns, no idea of gun safety, no idea of the potential risks and seem to be the most eager to use them if they have a chance.

A story a firearms instructor told me was this:

His neighbour came over and said "I saw someone sneaking around Fred's house. He's out of town, it must be a burglar. Why don't you grab your guns and we'll check it out!"

The instructor answered: "Instead, why don't we just call the cops?"

It turned out to be a relative who was checking on the house.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Oh and for the sake of humor, this is how the Brittish take on gun safety. You poor, poor bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7jr0S1frWM
    Reminds me of the Million Mom March propaganda that was flaoting around a few years back.

:new_snipe :icon_chee
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast