Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are there promotions at seminars?

Can a student get promoted at a seminar? For example, say Joe was a student at a MA school for 2 years. Joe quits school and goes to seminars. Can Joe get promoted by higher ranking black belts at seminars? Are there any MA that prohibit this? Are there MA where this is easy?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 8:20pm

Style: Goju-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think my brain just exploded with the wave of stupidity in his post.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowgunner
    I think my brain just exploded with the wave of stupidity in his post.
    Cowgunner, just for you- :new_blowi

How is it a stupid question?

There are threads here about people who get a black belt in a MA like Kempo, then they go find a Taekwondo school where the teacher agrees to a quick promotion to black belt in the new style. Why? Because they share a great deal in common and there is no reason to do the basics over. There are other threads about how some schools and styles that will NEVER promote in the black belt ranks unless the student recreuits new members. I'll find the thread if you want-- about the guy with a black belt who couldn't get promoted until he agreed to give a % of his new schools revenue to his old teacher and then he got promoted up the ranks quick.

Back on topic--

What is the point of a seminar?

Is it just to teach a techique? Can't you get that in your home school?

Is it to network and meet people? Do the 6th degree bb school owners look for new black belt students to recruit?

Is it to make money? Is this how a black belt makes extra money without opening a school?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is an interesting link about cross promotions-

This guy trained Taekwondo to a 3rd degree brown belt. He then quit Taekwondo because of an injury that prevented him from kicking. He recieved black belts in Kempo and Judo. He then found his old teacher and he got promoted to third degree black belt in Taekwondo based on his past experience in other martial arts.

http://www.ntfadallas.com/emann.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:23pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJson
    Here is an interesting link about cross promotions-

This guy paid for a belt in Taekwondo to a 3rd degree brown belt. He then quit Taekwondo because of an injury that prevented him from kicking. He bought black belts in Kempo and Judo. He then found his old teacher and he got promoted to third degree black belt in Taekwondo based on his fat wads of cash.

http://www.ntfadallas.com/emann.htm
    fixed.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's probably because judo rocks the **** out of TKD.

Serious answer, judo fights in a completely different range from TKD, there are practically zero transferable skills. Kenpo is striking, but from what I've seen it's very different as well. If the guy got promoted based on that then it just shows how fucking weak the ATA is, and why you should avoid it like the plague.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:32pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't just become a black belt in judo out of nowhere. As far as I'm aware, black belts are reserved for judoka who teach or compete in judo professionally. A judo black belt can not be earned so easily.

Furthermore, giving somebody a belt in TKD because they did judo is like saying someone's good at soccer because they play tennis. That may be try for badmitton, raquetball, squash, ping-pong and other similar games, but not soccer.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't compete in judo professionally, it's an amateur sport.

The requirements for black belt vary from organisation to organisation, it's difficult but not nearly as impossibe as you think. Advancement usually requires contest wins over opponents of a similar level, needless to say this can add up to quite a few wins by the the time you get to 1st dan.

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Trad JJ colleague (Dan Grade) is also a BJJ stylist and was promoted by Royce Gracie at a seminar in the UK about 18months ago. He based the promotion on observation of the student.

Perhaps this is what you have in Mind? Don't be fooled though, if a notable BJJ BB promotes you, it will be because you are worth it (you will carry his lineage so you better be good at BJJ).
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast