Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 4:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm..... Why are you trying to "fix" the situation in the first place? You are NOT their Social Worker. I understand you want to help these friends, but putting yourself in a place where you do not understand what is going inside of yourself first is going to end terribly.

Tell us, what does it do for you to "help them see the light?"

Are you any way scared for their safety?

Do you want a group that you know will effectively help you train?

Are you a little embarrassed that they CAN still challenge you after all of your training? Doesn't that SUCK?

I am trying to be as serious as possible.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 4:50pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to get smaller friends.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:07pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slindsay
    I find msyelf wondering what sort of Martial Arts training leaves you outweighed and outmuscled by a group of 10 guys and feeling you can't take any of them.

Edit: I mean I agree they are LARPing MMA here, I just think that you haven't got a leg to stand on if you reckon they can all kick your ass and you want to advice them, on how to alter their training.
    I'm at 158 now, which is the heaviest I've ever been in my life (thank you kung-fu training +10 lbs.). I don't think I'd have a problem with some of them, but I would be the smallest. I've rolled with only a couple of them, and they can't, for the most part, submit me (I've even given some actual purples trouble because I'm wirey and hard to catch). Even when I pull knee-on-belly and get a mount, I can't muscle them into a sub and I don't have the technique to do it properly. The problem though is that I wouldn't be able to take the biggest of them on the ground, and I have a feeling that's the only thing that would make them go "****, that 150 pounder just schooled our bestest heavyweights. Maybe we should actually train something."

Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    Hmmmm..... Why are you trying to "fix" the situation in the first place? You are NOT their Social Worker. I understand you want to help these friends, but putting yourself in a place where you do not understand what is going inside of yourself first is going to end terribly.
    It's really just that I'm annoyed. The whole "TUF Noobs" getting to me sort of thing. I mean, ****, I ordered UFC 3 on PPV.

Are you any way scared for their safety?
    Actually, yes. And I've advised them to avoid neck cranks, knee-bars, heel-hooks, and slams. From when I've seen them, they don't "tap early, and tap often" in order to learn. They go all out in order to "win". So yes, I'm afraid for their safety.

Do you want a group that you know will effectively help you train?
    Yes to that too. I'd like that they could actually help me with technique instead of retard strengthing me.

Are you a little embarrassed that they CAN still challenge you after all of your training? Doesn't that SUCK?
    And, yes. :P But I don't really train the ground, and I can't just go in and punch them all in the throat (from what I gather, they do light striking mainly on the ground, and leave out the head). But yeah, it does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampa
    Solution:

Step 1: Add free Saturday class to your training repetoir for both expanding your ability and the fun factor.

Step 2: Kill them.
    Best solution yet. :qcheerlea Maybe I also need to actually get up early and check out their "New and Improved 6 a.m." class.

Dagon

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:35pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the best way to fix this problem may be to do the exact opposite of what your doing now. Instead of trying to get them to see that their training methodology is competely flawed you should instead encourage their behavior. You should go so far with your encouragement as to arrange fights for them in a local MMA event. Once they enter the event....

Problem solved.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    I'm at 158 now, which is the heaviest I've ever been in my life (thank you kung-fu training +10 lbs.). I don't think I'd have a problem with some of them, but I would be the smallest. I've rolled with only a couple of them, and they can't, for the most part, submit me (I've even given some actual purples trouble because I'm wirey and hard to catch). Even when I pull knee-on-belly and get a mount, I can't muscle them into a sub and I don't have the technique to do it properly. The problem though is that I wouldn't be able to take the biggest of them on the ground, and I have a feeling that's the only thing that would make them go "****, that 150 pounder just schooled our bestest heavyweights. Maybe we should actually train something."

It's really just that I'm annoyed. The whole "TUF Noobs" getting to me sort of thing. I mean, ****, I ordered UFC 3 on PPV.

Actually, yes. And I've advised them to avoid neck cranks, knee-bars, heel-hooks, and slams. From when I've seen them, they don't "tap early, and tap often" in order to learn. They go all out in order to "win". So yes, I'm afraid for their safety.

Yes to that too. I'd like that they could actually help me with technique instead of retard strengthing me.

And, yes. :P But I don't really train the ground, and I can't just go in and punch them all in the throat (from what I gather, they do light striking mainly on the ground, and leave out the head). But yeah, it does suck.

Best solution yet. :qcheerlea Maybe I also need to actually get up early and check out their "New and Improved 6 a.m." class.

Dagon

How about before you go, take about 15 minutes to remember how much you give a **** about your and their safety, and reflect on how much you enjoy proper training? I feel it will help with the possible mourning that may have to happen if they are LARPing.

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are these the kind of guy's to stick at things or are they going to do this for a few weeks and then move onto something new?

If they stick at it, sooner or later they're going to start thinking about getting proper training, even if it's just to get one over on the others. At that point you can remind them where they can get that training.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Tang Soo Do angle because if they are really sparring with each other their quickly going to work out that it's crap.

The injury issue is more of a worry but if they really are going at it hard it'll rapidly become a self limiting problem.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 6:41pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres a solution. Find someone who does fight MMA, get that person to come by during one of their LARPing sessions, and have that person challenge them. That should clear things up a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 7:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working and schooling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you mention any type of conditioning to the guys? Just the slightest whiff of cardio or weights is usually enough to take the wind out of a poseur's sails. Granted, you say they have muscle, but do any of them hit the road?

Seriously, the whole avoiding the real stuff is pretty annoying too. It's kinda like offering to take a free ninjutsu class with an aquantance who is a ninja/ swordsman/ weaponmaster/ raptor-style creator/mutant/ dungeonmaster/ chud baby, and having him puss out. Avoiding the real deal (is there such a thing with ninjutsu? ) is a sign that your buddies won't stick with their "Fight Club". Well, that or someone getting seriously hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 8:08pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I am reading they just do some wrestling and light striking only to the body, with the wrestling aspect being more prominent. Yet at the same time they do not wish to actually train in a structured way and have some unrealistic views of some martial arts. All sounds like good excuse for some male bonding to me.

Though saying that it would be pretty cool to have a local group of people from different background to spar with on a freindly basis, but by what you say of their attitude and lack of experience one of them will probably get fucked up sooner or later.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    Heres a solution. Find someone who does fight MMA, get that person to come by during one of their LARPing sessions, and have that person challenge them. That should clear things up a bit.
    We had a Pro MMA ( 6-3 if I remember correctly ) , BJJ black belt napping at our KY Throwdown ... why ? ... because frankly , he could have slammed the lot of us face down then picked and choosed how he was gonna make us hurt .

The three of us at the Throwdown who actually train with some regularity wouldn't have been able to do **** about it except tap often and hope he chose not to chase us if we ran away ,

Getting someone who "knows" and wants to see what you know , again forces you to face some things you may not have known .

I trained with blues and purples for the most part . They come to play with me in their stand up , and occasionally end up taking me down and showing me how to defend (somewhat) fairly aggressive submissions and some basic escapes .

So here I am in a black belt's low loose guard going ...." uhhhhhhhhhhhhh ".... in my head I am thinking of everything I have read , done , drilled , or practiced . Which prompted " uh yeah man ... you aren't spazzing out or struggling ... I have no idea what to do in your guard "

Talk about embarrassing .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast