Posted On:
    9/06/2007 1:33am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joe Lauzon to fight Jason Reinhardt at UFC 78

"When's your next fight, Joe?"
    I get this question a lot... and until now I couldn't talk about it. I will be fighting Jason Reinhardt November 17th at UFC78 in New Jersey. Reinhardt is a Miletich Fighter (same team as Jens Pulver and Spencer Fisher) with an 18-0 record... with 14 wins coming by submission and 4 wins coming by TKO.

This is only about a 4 hour drive from Boston and I am planning on bringing an army to this one. This is the closest the UFC gets to us, and its a great opportunity to see the UFC live in person.

I did an interview with Loretta Hunt of the TheFightNetwork, so read more about it
    http://joelauzon.com/index.php?view=readMore&id=27

Interview below....

What's happening in the world of mixed martial arts now ...

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)
    Photo Courtesy of UFC.com

The day that Joe Lauzon can call himself a full-fledged professional fighter has finally arrived. This Friday, the 23-year-old Bridgewater, Mass. native cuts the shackles of his nine-to-fiver as an IT network administrator at a Cambridge-based software development company. Lauzon will then set sail for Hilo, Hawaii to begin a two-and-a-half month training camp with former UFC welterweight champion B.J. Penn. The Team Aggression/Bishop Boxing representative will seek the guidance of the pound-for-pound favorite for his Nov. 17 lightweight match-up against Jason Reinhardt at UFC 78 in Newark, N.J.

"This is the first time I have been able to train 100% for one of my fights and not have to deal with a normal day job or live in a house of horrors," says Lauzon.

Lauzon (15-3) entered the “The Ultimate Fighter” residence for its fifth season after clocking in the underdog performance of 2006 when he knocked out former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver (21-8-1) in a clean 48 seconds at UFC 63. Marooned in the secluded two-story reality TV series set nestled off the Las Vegas Strip, Lauzon says it was the combination of no outside contact, extreme boredom, and being forced to live with your next opponent that made his time there strained.

“You couldn’t even ice injuries without fear of the other team seeing,” he says.

Quiet and methodical, Lauzon meticulously took notes on all his housemates’ cage habits and became coach Penn’s first student to win his preliminary bout. Lauzon was eliminated in the show’s semi-finals, but struck up a camaraderie with Penn, who dominated the show’s rival coach Pulver at June 23’s “Ultimate Fighter 5” finale. That same night, Lauzon submitted castmate Brandon Melendez (8-6), but tore the meniscus in his right knee. He underwent surgery on Aug. 1, and was back in the gym 11 days later.

A 2006 graduate of Wentworth Institute of Technology with a Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Lauzon has utilized his keyboard savvy to win over the youngest generation of MMA fans on popular Internet boards like MMA.tv. He successfully convinced a number of them that he was going to move up to the UFC's welterweight division to challenge judo phenom Karo Parisyan next, though the fine print also stipulated the Kool-Aid guy would be in his corner. A testament to his popularity, Lauzon escaped the ruse unscathed.

Fun and games are over now and the real work begins next Monday in Penn’s MMA Academy, a remodeled former sugar cane factory on the big island. Penn will likely journey through the camp with Lauzon, along with “TUF 5” assistant coach Tony DeSousa. Penn is tentatively scheduled to headline Nov. 17’s event, though his opponent will no longer be UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk. Sherk appears before the California State Athletic Commission Oct. 31 to appeal a positive steroids test registered after his July 7th UFC 73 title defense to Hermes Franca.

Lauzon met future opponent Reinhardt (18-0) waiting in line to take his medicals for “TUF 5.” “He had a good record, though it had no real names," he says. "Then he told us he beat up some guy in a ‘Steak and Shake’ and got banned for life from the entire chain. I thought, ‘This guy might get on the show.’” Reinhardt didn’t get the final nod, but he did earn a shot in the Octagon.

“[UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva is probably sick of Jason emailing him, and it's my job to shut him up,” says Lauzon. “That’s how I got the fight with Jens, and that’s how Jason is getting in now. He is praying for lightning to strike twice, but it’s not gonna happen.”

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=4736
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aww... and I was hoping Joe really would fight Karo.

Oh well. It'll still be a good fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 2:00pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is he gonna have the Kool-Aid man in his corner? Awesome regardless, I've been waiting to see him fight again.

Dave

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 5:28pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to MMAUniverse and Sherdog, Reinhardt usually fights at 135.

:icon_scra
    Last edited by maurice; 9/06/2007 5:33pm at .

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maurice
    According to MMAUniverse and Sherdog, Reinhardt usually fights at 135.

:icon_scra
    He's 5'6" as well... Joe's gonna look like Tim Sylvia next to this guy. Only without the moustache and funky knees.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go joe go!

I went to 63, I might make it to that one.
    I'll be at 77.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    The day that Joe Lauzon can call himself a full-fledged professional fighter has finally arrived. This Friday, the 23-year-old Bridgewater, Mass. native cuts the shackles of his nine-to-fiver as an IT network administrator at a Cambridge-based software development company.
    You mean to tell me Joe was still working a nine to five while he was training to fight Jens Pulver?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:00pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty much

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that makes me feel all the worse for what I've done with MY training

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reinhardt is tiny, but he never, ever looks like he doesn't want to open up your gut with his fingers and scoop out your liver so you can watch him eat it. Even when he smiles, his lips say "hi" but his eyes say "I will eat your beating heart and add your strength to my own."

This will be a classic matchup of Creepy vs Creepy and I'll never in my life really be rooting against Joe, but really, I hope Jason wins his debut. He's waited and worked for a long time for this. He was supposed to get his shot against Huerta last year and then picked up a neck injury. Huerta went on to bigger and better things (like the cover of SI) and that had to grate on Reinhardt.
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 9/10/2007 8:45am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast