Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Before we can give you any advice we need to know why you didn't like BJJ.
    don't get me wrong i learnt a bunch of really cool stuff for the short time i did it,but it wasn't my thing i guess...
    Last edited by rooseveltdon; 9/07/2007 11:40pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 11:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    Too much mental work, I guess.

I'm sort of kidding. But yeah, Judo would be leaps and bounds better than hapkido.
    No ysc87,there was nothing mentally demanding in it I just didn't like it.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The quality of hapkido school varies wildly from place to place. If you found one that does full contact, I'd say go for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the way Krav maga goes about training; the techniques are simplistic which is good, and they do use the elbows, knees, western style punches, and basic blocks...so it's a good art for the average person. They use high stress application to aid in retaining the trained reaction in a real altercation.

Now if you're already trained in standup, and train in this sort of way...probably a waste of time for you. I'm itching to go back to BJJ...there's a guy at my gold's gym that is trying to get me to go but is charging like 140 per month on a group rate. Plus the sessions are when I'm at work....so no go for me (right now).

Judo is a great and proven art, but then again, so is BJJ. One deals with mostly standup grappling, the other mostly ground fighting. Up to you really what you prefer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    I like the way Krav maga goes about training; the techniques are simplistic which is good, and they do use the elbows, knees, western style punches, and basic blocks...so it's a good art for the average person. They use high stress application to aid in retaining the trained reaction in a real altercation.

Now if you're already trained in standup, and train in this sort of way...probably a waste of time for you. I'm itching to go back to BJJ...there's a guy at my gold's gym that is trying to get me to go but is charging like 140 per month on a group rate. Plus the sessions are when I'm at work....so no go for me (right now).

Judo is a great and proven art, but then again, so is BJJ. One deals with mostly standup grappling, the other mostly ground fighting. Up to you really what you prefer.
    yeah i had the same problem here,the little time i practiced BJJ cost quite a lot,however i think i would rather want to know more about stand up grappling than groung fighting or at least have a good mix of both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 1:48am

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great... here we go again

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 2:50am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DngrRuss1
    great... here we go again
    Hey man !

:icon_thum

ON TOPIC

Seriously check out all the places you are interested in . If you did Muay Thai you will know what good training looks and feels like .

But I don't think you will find your MT strikes in Krav ... I have heard that it varies school to school as much if not more than Hapkido does .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 6:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having studied kuksool, a hapkido derivative I can say "skip hapkido".

Or, what the hell, study both hapkido and Krav and mix them, appoint yourself
    a "grandmaster" of your own hybrid style....

K R A P K I D O
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Its the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 8:03am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rooseveltdon
    P.S and which one would be better to try hapkido or krav maga?
    What are you trying to accomplish - variety? fill some gap in your training? something else?

Hapkido is (AFAIK) Koreanified aikido (maybe aikijustsu, based on what some TKD folks who do hapkido have shown me). You'll get standing throws/jointlocks/maybe chokes. How resisting are the opponents? I suppose it depends, but I think the average is "not very"

Krav Maga is a catch all for fighting methods from the Israeli military. There is a huge legal mess between a large Krav organization in California and anyone else who uses the term. I think the best thing you can say is "buyer beware"

You have an advantage to the average consumer. You likely can recognize good training vs bad. Go and watch. If you like what you see, then you are in good shape.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, HKD, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    The quality of hapkido school varies wildly from place to place. If you found one that does full contact, I'd say go for it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Full contact" in the context of Hapkido. In wrists and joint locks you apply force until the opponent taps. If he doesn't tap you break his wrist/elbow/shoulder.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast