Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 9:02pm

Style: Wing Chun, C&R

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fight Like a Girl Yeah

Jsut wanted to know peoples oppinion of this.
    Would you endorse this for your Wife or girlfriend or Sister or Daughter or Cousin or Mistress or Friend With Benefits?

or would you like to simply punch this guy in the face for spouting a new Mcdojo aimed at our voulnerable wimmin?
    LOLZ

http://www.fightlikeagirl.com.au/index.htm

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 2:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well they offer no pics or videos and the only thing to really go on is that it's krav maga. Krav maga...hmmmm. A browse of krav maga pics on google reveals things that range from the reasonable to the outright absurd. If I had to take a guess then I would say it's probably silly but that's only because so many martial arts are silly that it kind of becomes the default position to take. If there were some pics or videos then there could be a better assessment.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 2:19am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 6:55am

Style: Wing Chun, C&R

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD Chick you sighing at my general stupidity, The Class or both?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The FLAG site links here - http://www.tacticalkravmaga.com.au/ - so presumably they're affiliated with Tactical Krav Maga Australia.

There's a preview for a training DVD on the other site. Looks OK but IMO there are too many "freeze and re-set" moments; inevitable for safety in contact drills and demos, but not the best advertisement. I'd prefer to see them wearing better protective gear and going literally all-out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:58am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple.
    get your SO / FWB / Mistress

Teach her how to pull guard and butt scoot towards you.
    then give her very active 1 on 1 in different transitions.. or positions if you will.
    from guard.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA HA! You have noticed that some grappling positions resemble sex! It's funny because girls are no good at fighting, but they're good at having sex with me! HA HA!

Good one.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry
    Jsut wanted to know peoples oppinion of this.
    Would you endorse this for your Wife or girlfriend or Sister or Daughter or Cousin or Mistress or Friend With Benefits?

or would you like to simply punch this guy in the face for spouting a new Mcdojo aimed at our voulnerable wimmin?
    LOLZ

http://www.fightlikeagirl.com.au/index.htm
    From the website:

Sounds like most women. That is, someone who does not want to fight but if left with no other choice, wants to eliminate the threat and then break contact and move away from the danger. A healthy attitude and one that FLAG will help develop and encourage. Fight or flight is the choice that we as humans have developed. As people we’ve also unfortunately developed a ‘freeze’ response to danger. FLAG will eliminate this response from your mind, and focus you on flight or fight.

That sounds like a very valid premise. After all, that's what you implicitly learn when you spar for real. However, without having anything like a video of their sparring sessions, it's hard to tell. I would not go on to call them mcdojo or bullshido without knowing more.

I've already run into a couple of schools that are fruity-looking (with weird bullshit here and there) that are churning decent (or at least ok) fighters. Web presentation and demo clips (however fruitshitty they may be) are not necessarily sufficient to judge a school.

BTW, easy on the "LOLZ" if you want your post to be taken seriously ;)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 5:36pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using statements like "developed by Military Special Forces" seems suspect to me. Anything designed by or for the military has a different focus than one that could be used for effective self defense. The only useful self defense that should be taught to non-MA people is how to avoid situations that could require the use of martial skill, and perhaps a few escapes so that they can get away from an attacker. MA'ers should avoid anything that isn't trained "alive", if they are looking for effective self defense; instead of a program that claims that just by taking their courses you will magically loose your fear of a life threatening situation.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 11:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a quick article in the local paper about this on the weekend. From what they were describing, it sounded like typical wanky "just kick his nuts up past his lungs then gouge his eyes out" RBSD stuff. But I don't know whether that was just usual hyperbolic journalism, or because the class actually was crap. The bit that sounded good was lots of "stress simulation" situations. If they do this properly (i.e. not the way most self defence class I've seen do) that could be useful in getting over the classic freezeup - like the bit from their site that El Macho highlighted.

And lets face it, most women in Aus face much less probablility even than women in the States of really being involved in a violent situation. 9 out of 10 chicks in one of those classes will probably never have to use any of the stuff they learn, and the 10th will probably fail to pull it off under real pressure or against a guy 20kg heavier anyway. So you're mainly talking the confidence benefit that comes from that type of training, a bit of fun, and a slim chance of one day getting out of a dangerous situation.

Where some of it bothers me is where they get a false sense of confidence from it. Some girls I know (mate's sister's friends etc.) have done a few kickboxing classes and a bunch of SD courses, and they think they're safe to just hop on the train by themselves at 1:00am on a Sat night. I doubt they'd act like this if they hadn't had a big dose of "grrrl power" at their deadly SD class.

Anyway, just my $0.02...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast