Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 2:49pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah too much often results in joint laxity. It can be detrimental to strength and general health too as you could over extend a joint.

Thomas Kurz speaks about it in his book

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 4:31pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Yeah too much often results in joint laxity. It can be detrimental to strength and general health too as you could over extend a joint.

Thomas Kurz speaks about it in his book
    I have over-stretched ligaments in just about every joint, and it blows tremendously. Tendons remain tight, but joints remain unstable. It's all of the problems with none of the benefits. If you do sufficient strength/endurance training to protect joints along with flexibility exercises it shouldn't be much of an issue. Just don't push stretches beyond minor discomfort.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 4:43pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm... interesting topic. Actually the PT in question told me I might have problems later because I was more flexible than most. She was somewhat right, although I have lousy hip flexibility these days.

Actually, I think my flexibility helped save me from a broken wrist when snowboarding. I did the typical forward faceplant and forgot to make a fist as you should. I plunged wrist-first into fairly firm packed snow and my hand bent back almost to my forearm. I think that is the most common fracture, followed by clavicle from the same type of fall.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the things Pavel talks in his books (IIRC) is that flexibility training MUST go together with strenght training. It's worth noting that some of the most flexible class of athletes (namely ballet dancers and gymnasts) happen to be among the strongest as well.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 4:58pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The consensus at the time (mid-90's) had shifted to stretching *after* workout with just warmup before. That is still the consensus these days, right? I seem to recall this discussion here, but not sure.

Also, my PT friend suggested that I not stretch toooo much, due to my innate flexibility. I haven't trained BJJ, so rubber guard or anything like that is not part of the picture. Still, I think I could use a little more hip flexibility, I can't kick for ****. Too much time at the computer, plus a cycling background don't help.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKtheTANK
    great vid, is there any more continuation to this out there?
    Nope I'm affraid. I have Bravo's new book (Mastering the Rubber Guard) where he devotes his first chapter to flexibility drills. If I get a chance, I may scan a few of them and post them. Or you should gloss over it at B&N over a cup of coffee. Pretty good read. :icon_thum
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:39pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and half of the foreward is on the benefits of smoking pot. I glanced over MtRG, and I agree, excellent book.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12