Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:10am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

6 pack

I used to have 6 pack abs. That was many beers and hamburgers ago. I have changed my diet and started exercising again. Running, pushups, crunches, etc. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to shed belly fat and sculpt ab muscles?

:5help:

poser

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:31am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found out about these: Janda Sit-ups. Apparently, instead of a $150 Pavelizer you can put heavy weights behind your feet/legs for resistance, but I've only been doing them for like 2 days so I don't know yet.

Apparently they're killer.

And dragon flags are also pretty badass-looking. I can't even do one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't spot reduce fat. Do more time on the track and less time with the fork.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    And dragon flags are also pretty badass-looking. I can't even do one.
    I can get halfway through the eccentric phase of the exercise before failing pretty hard. They are definately badass, but you need a pretty strong core to crank one out.

Really, if my understanding is correct, you can't decide where you lose fat. Your body will burn it off wherever the hell it likes. So just keep working at it, stick to your diet, and eventually those abs will show through.

Having a nice set of abs isn't so much about packing on muscle as it is getting cut. Of course, adding muscle will be all the better, but you won't see anything till the extra baggage is gone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to look good, I could kick myself for being lazy the last few years! I'll just keep working at it like you said. I think the running will be best for fat burning (I run 3 - 4 days a week, 2 miles at a time), what do you all think?
    P.S. Those Dragon Flys look brutal, there is no way I could do one! Thanks though!

poser

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 12:18pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The diet is also an important factor, as is your body type. For example, a person who is more ectomorphic (me) will have a much harder time than a mesomorph (John Basedow).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 1:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am Ectomorphic (I think). 5' 8" & 150lbs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 4:36pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High intensity intervals for the fat loss. Period!

http://www.buildingbodies.ca/Cardio/...Training.shtml

EPOC and Weight Management
    Because the body continues to expend energy after exercise, EPOC plays a supplemental role to an exercise program in weight management. Currently, researchers are interested in the effect different forms of exercise have on EPOC.
    The evidence suggests that a high-intensity, intermittent-type of training (interval training) has a more pronounced effect on EPOC (Haltom et al. 1999). Also, it appears that resistance training produces greater EPOC responses than aerobic exercise (Burleson et al. 1998). The research suggests that high-intensity resistance exercise disturbs the bodyís homeostasis to a greater degree than aerobic exercise. The result is a larger energy requirement after exercise to restore the bodyís systems to normal (Burleson et al. 1998), and thus an explanation for the higher EPOC. The underlying mechanisms that cause the higher EPOC observed in resistance exercise include elevated blood lactate, and an increase in circulating catecholamines (epinephrine and norepinephrine) and anabolic hormones.
    Inspecting the data from several investigations, it appears that EPOC accounts for postexercise expenditure of 51 (Haltom et al. 1999) to 127 (Burleson et al. 1998) kilocalories. Since a pound of fat is equal to 3,500 kilocalories, the effect of EPOC on weight control must be regarded in terms of a cumulative effect over time.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/epoc.html

Hit the weights too, if you're not already. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest.

The ab exercises are a moot point, your abs are there, just hidden by fat..

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH
    I am Ectomorphic (I think). 5' 8" & 150lbs.
    Dude, you are underweight. You should be considering packing at least 10lbs of lean mass rather than trying to get a 6-pack. I'm not dissing you or anything, but I can't for the life of me think why you have a hard time getting a 6-pack at 150lbs, 5'8" other than not having enough lean mass.

To get "toned" (I hate that term), you need a certain amount of lean mass, combined with a strict diet (strict diet not always being "low fat") and training regime. No way around it. But regardless, you need a certain amount of lean mass. How much? That depends on the individual.

Also, you have to consider other things. If you are looking for a 6-pack just for the aesthetics of it, then go for it. But if you are engaged in any form of sports, be mindful. Some people can have them no problems. Others actually suffer a deteriorion in their performance the moment their body fat levels drop a certain level.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I am small, but according to Army standards I am within tolerable limits and not officially considered underweight. I have always been small. The most I ever weighed was 160 and that was mostly body fat.

Even back a few years ago when I had my six pack I weighed less than I do now. But I was in good shape also. I could do 50+ push ups without stopping and run 2 miles in about 13minutes. Being a young soldier at the time I tended to get in a lot of fights and almost always won. People thought that because I was tiny they could take me. But I was always much faster than most people. I would land a good couple of punches before they could even get one off, and if they took it to the ground I was flexible enough to quickly wiggle away. I have choked out many people twice my size. Now donít get me wrong, the Lord knows I have been on the receiving end of more than a few @ss whoopings!

Even at that time I could not seem to put on weight. I went to the gym and even had an Army trainer work with me, to no avail.

However, I would like to put on some muscle. Teh El Macho, any suggestions?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast