Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 1:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu/Yang, Yu Wang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for good Tai Chi Chuan school/club near St Paul

Hey, newbie here. I used to train in Tai Chi Chuan in NYC, and some other stuff that I didn't get really great at. I'm hoping to find a good group/school/club/backyard that does form, push-hands, and fighting. I know this last bit is sadly rare in today's TCC environment.

If it matters, I studied the Cheng form and push-hands under Frank Detrich (from Herman Kauz, from Cheng Man Ching, etc.) but I know I'd be starting all over. I have a smattering of other experience, for which I would point to my profile if I could figure out how to get there myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT: And if nobody knows anywhere specifc, any suggestions on how to find a good school/teacher?
    Last edited by muranternet; 9/07/2007 1:58am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 7:16am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look in the Minneapolis/St. Paul phonebook, there's a listing for a Wu Lung tai ji school. They teach Wu style taijiquan, and have some close affiliation with the heads of the style, if I remember correctly. I visited their school once (GF's family lives near Minneapolis, so I'm looking for good schools whenever we visit there), and was glad to see that they had gloves, heavybags, etc., which at least points in the right direction. That said, I only played with them for an hour, so I can't say much about how they are overall.

If you DO find a good taiji teacher out there, please give me a heads up, since I"m in that area every few months and would love somewhere to drop by for an evening or two.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 3:18pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a student of Eddie Wu (head of Wu family) there, but he has moved. There may be some others there, possibly the group Bugeisha mentioned.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Most of the schools I've found in searches look typically watered down, or just plain strange (anyone heard of Dark Raven?).

Does anyone have experience in Wu and Yang? What sort of differences can I expect transitioning to Wu? (I have no Tai Chi experience outside of Yang forms.)

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 6:00pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have done Chen Man-ching style Yang, then you will find Wu style quite different. Single-weightedness, forward lean, and parallel stance are a few challenges you will face. All for the better, IMHO. The style practiced by the Yang family today is closer to what we do. Wu learned from Yang and we consider ourselves to still be Yang style. The Wu form is a somewhat modified version of the Yang small-frame form.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 6:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! A quick question on...

Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    If you have done Chen Man-ching style Yang, then you will find Wu style quite different. Single-weightedness...
    Am I interpreting this correctly as avoiding a 50-50 weight split front to back, as opposed to 70-30? I was taught mostly 70-30 unless you're transitioning or in a single leg pose, and to avoid 50-50/double-weighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha
    If you look in the Minneapolis/St. Paul phonebook, there's a listing for a Wu Lung tai ji school. They teach Wu style taijiquan, and have some close affiliation with the heads of the style, if I remember correctly. I visited their school once (GF's family lives near Minneapolis, so I'm looking for good schools whenever we visit there), and was glad to see that they had gloves, heavybags, etc., which at least points in the right direction. That said, I only played with them for an hour, so I can't say much about how they are overall.

If you DO find a good taiji teacher out there, please give me a heads up, since I"m in that area every few months and would love somewhere to drop by for an evening or two.
    I finally got a call back from the teacher at Wu Lung. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and in fact we knew some of the same schools/people (CK Chu, etc.) and had similar philosophies about "fluffy Tai Chi" (his term but a good one). I'll try to check out his classes this week. Should be interesting. It's a little distressing too, as I've already checked out Warrior's Cove and thought they were very good and their judo guy may be one of the best teachers I've ever watched/talked to. Decisions decisions...

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muranternet
    Thanks! A quick question on...

Am I interpreting this correctly as avoiding a 50-50 weight split front to back, as opposed to 70-30? I was taught mostly 70-30 unless you're transitioning or in a single leg pose, and to avoid 50-50/double-weighting.
    I do an offshoot of Wu. The way I've been taught to avoid double weighting is to have all my weight on one leg with the other foot just lightly touching the floor, except in a couple of postures like single whip.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 3:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah thanks, that makes sense. One more annoying question before I go to check this school out: for those of you who teach/study fighting Tai Chi Chuan, what should I be looking for to make a decision regarding training? I'm a little clueless about Wu to know what to look for in correct form and fighting practices.

Sorry for all the questions but for me this is a pretty big decision. I don't really have enough time to go to both schools right now.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 3:10am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They ought to spar with hard contact regularly.

The seniors there who are roughly your own size should be able to manhandle you with apparent ease.

Ideally, they will compete in full contact events like san shou and will have a veriable record of success.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast