Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Intro

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro

I've studied a few forms, nothing for a long time. My main interest is my daughter is in kung-fu now under Dr. James T. Parker of Bai Kai kung fu in Clayton, NC. Just reading up. Hi yall from the south, by the way.

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, Cayvmann. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    many; box,TKD,croty,BJJ..
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My child starting in MA has really rekindled my interest too. Kind of makes me think... well if I were to start again what would I take...

And, welcome.:occasion1

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!!!!:qleft2:

Style
    San Da, Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they do San Da?, San da seems particularly good for girls for some reason. Not sure why, toughest girls ive sparred have been in San Da.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not as far as I know, but she's just been there for about a month.

Seems good for the kids, but the "master" Sai Jo, I think they call him, talks all the bunk I can't stand. Like if you are in good shape you won't ever get sick. He was sick a couple of weeks ago, but I guess he'd have to believe he was sick for it to be true. He also says drinking water is what builds muscles, sheeesh.

And the whole load of crap about power not deriving from muscles, I can't stand that.

Bigger muscles = bigger potential for power, sorry that's how it works. Don't see any stick-boys in ultimate fights do ya?

I'm not saying you can't get more power without getting bigger, but there is an upper limit to the amount of power you can generate with a given amount of muscle.....

BUT, she's having fun, and it helps strengthen her for her ballet classes. Plus they try to instill discipline and positive attitudes,.

He teaches grappling, but I haven't had time to see it....
    Last edited by Cayvmann; 10/18/2007 6:30am at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, for the most part, I'm sure it's a good school,, otherwise I wouldn't take my daughter there.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann
    By the way, for the most part, I'm sure it's a good school,, otherwise I wouldn't take my daughter there.
    if you've got a guy teaching an inherently suspect style & spouting transparent bullshit, why would you be sure of that? seriously.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what I expect to get out of it. I made a promise that she could take a martial art, if she had good grades last year. She lived up to her end. I let her pick the school. We went to a few and she liked this one best. At her age the exersize aspect is all I expect from this class. If she shows continued interest, which is iffy with kids, I'll get her into something else later. The basics they are teaching her now, outside of the BS philosophy, are about what she'd get anywhere, from my limited experience.

Plus there's not a lot close to where we live, that's much different.

I'm kind of used to hearing that the style I'm learning has thousands of years of history. Until I look up real history.... There's a certain amount of crap with any "traditional" system. Fake history, etc. Kids eat that crap up.

By good school, I meant relative to some of the others I've seen locally. Yeah, a defeatist attitude

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no doubt it's fine for a child, so long as she enjoys it. fyi, though, WC is among the most widely derided & bullshit-heavy styles (in the opinion of most here, anyway). if you're an adult looking for anything more than exercise & recreation, I'd encourage you to read up on WC here & consider your options

Page 1 of 2 12 Last