I used to do weight lifting more consistently in high school, and one of the things my gym teacher told me was that you don't want to overtrain, i.e. working the same muscles over and over without giving them recovery time as this could lead to actually decreasing strength.

I've been taking BJJ for the last 5 months. Right now, I go to my BJJ gym 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I'm so sore I have to take a couple days to rest, other days I'm fine to roll the next day. My level of soreness sort of dictates whether I go the next day, because I don't want to overtrain.

Now this thought originally came up because I was looking into MT/MMA training camps in Thailand. A lot train for 3-4 hour sessions, twice a day, six days a week. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm used to going only 2-3 times a week, and if I'm sore, I rest. Well, training that amount of time in Thailand seems like I'd be sore everyday. But if that's the same training regimen everyone else goes through, does that mean overtraining isn't as much of an issue as I think it is?