--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob needing help

At the start of the week I decided I wanted to study martial arts. I am a full time college student with a lot of spare time on my hands. I'm sure this question has been ask dozens of times but I can't seem to find any old post on here about it. I am wainting to study Karate.... I think.... I would really like to study an art that was mostly hand striking with some feet, and if the fight went to the ground I would also have ground fighting skills. So I guess my question is what martial art and which style in that art would be the best for me to get stand up fighting with mostly hands but some feet and good ground fighting? Any help at all would be apprecatied and I know everyone has there oppinion about which art is best but I would really like facts not oppinions.

Style
    Hillbilly Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreen02
    At the start of the week I decided I wanted to study martial arts. I am a full time college student with a lot of spare time on my hands. I'm sure this question has been ask dozens of times but I can't seem to find any old post on here about it. I am wainting to study Karate.... I think.... I would really like to study an art that was mostly hand striking with some feet, and if the fight went to the ground I would also have ground fighting skills. So I guess my question is what martial art and which style in that art would be the best for me to get stand up fighting with mostly hands but some feet and good ground fighting? Any help at all would be apprecatied and I know everyone has there oppinion about which art is best but I would really like facts not oppinions.
    Pleasure to meet you,

Karate's focus is pretty evenly divided between hands and feet but I suppose you could just choose to fight with your fists more. I don't think anyone's going to stop you.

Your best bet would be to cross-train or find a Karate school that teaches more than one discipline. All the flavors of Karate I am familiar with do incorporate throws and sweeps however there isn't really any focus on ground-fighting. If you find a school that also has a judo or jujutsu class though you're set. There aren't many legitimate styles out there that are "complete" and I would recommend carefully considering the claims of any style that would attempt to convince you that it can make you an all-around fighter with no cross-training. Anyway, my two cents. Hope this helps.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am seio nage-ing this throw into Newbietown

Style
    Jiu jitsu, Judo, Akido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and Akido these styles focus on throws take downs and ground fighting as well as the mastery of movement. if u can find an sensei like mine who is a former Marine he can incorperate some of his prior training into ur teaching. that is where u would get ur striking.

JQ

Style
    danzan ryu/drunk fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    greetings.have you looked at wadu ryu or akijujitsu.good combo off hand.grips and throws.do you have a good hapkido instructor near you?wadu is cool very circular and simple techs.tuff call.check out the locator here and see if any schools near have been checked out.or just go for the free lesson and see what floats and what sinks for ya.cheers.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is also an article on BJJ. SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews section, which might yield something more specific to your area.