Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kemper boyd
    any martial art that is taught correctly and practiced with aliveness will serve you, but if you want to be a well rounded fighter you need to have both stand up and ground fighting skills ... that's the reality today ....

It was actually the reality 5,000 years ago, its just that it took one skinny Brazilian to get our attention.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Useful for what? Kendo is useful for something.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Useful for what? Kendo is useful for something.

If you are ever accosted by a shinai wielding assailant, you are set.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaFighter
    A lot of people who watch MMA and BJJ practitioners automatically assume we don't understand the difference between the sport arena and the concrete arena.

We understand that there are no rules or refs in the street. Don't worry, we'll still bust you in the balls, crush your throat, beat you in the back of the head, not stop the strangle or joint lock just because you tapped if you want to fight us outside the Dojo. The thing is, We probably have had better training to set you up to pull off these simple moves or concepts.

Also, try keeping your pride in check, having situational awareness/assessment, and just be a nice guy and you'd probably never have to worry about grappling two people at once.

The best MA for you is the one you enjoy. There is not bullet proof system. However, the facts are in. The best fighters are the well rounded ones that participate in full contact sparring.

That's such a typical BJJ answer,i did have the chance to spar with MMA guys in the gym and on one occasion i got into a real fight with one of them,i beat him with a well placed vertical elbow hit.. while he tried to take me down so you can stop riding helio gracie's genitals,moreover while i believe that it is good to have a good knowledge of ground fighting putting too much emphasis on it while disregarding striking is stupid and about the better training that's just crap, BJJ is not the only martial art that does full contact sparring so get off your high horse,kyokushin and muay thai (muay boran especially) as well as many other arts have full contact sparring as well moreover everything you said you "would do" would have to be done on the ground,chances are that by then you would have received more than enough punches and elbows on the face to forget your name while trying to execute a take down...like i said earlier having good knowledge of ground fighting is good but putting too much emphasis on it while lightly "cross training" in order arts and lacking good striking is dumb,and about the whole situation awareness and been a nice guy thing,dude...no one goes out of the gym looking for fights but chances are from time to time that at some point you may have to defend yourself and then what? you will "assess" the situation and deem it retarded to fight two guys and run because you can't grapple with both of em?
    Last edited by rooseveltdon; 9/05/2007 10:51am at .

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only Fantasy Warrior knows the answer, as he never trained in any of them.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:48am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rooseveltdon
    It has been said that eighty percent of fights end up on the ground,but i believe that is because eighty percent of the people who get into fights do not know how to fight while on their feet.
    Thats never been said. The original number was closer to 60% and that was from a LAPD report about cops arresting people, not street fights.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's such a typical BJJ answer,i did have the chance to spar with MMA guys in the gym and on one occasion i got into a real fight with one of them,i beat him with a well placed vertical elbow hit.. while he tried to take me down so you can stop riding helio gracie's genitals,moreover while i believe that it is good to have a good knowledge of ground fighting putting too much emphasis on it while disregarding striking is stupid and about the better training that's just crap, BJJ is not the only martial art that does full contact sparring so get off your high horse,kyokushin and muay thai (muay boran especially) as well as many other arts have full contact sparring as well moreover everything you said you "would do" would have to be done on the ground,chances are that by then you would have received more than enough punches and elbows on the face to forget your name while trying to execute a take down...like i said earlier having good knowledge of ground fighting is good but putting too much emphasis on it while lightly "cross training" in order arts and lacking good striking is dumb,and about the whole situation awareness and been a nice guy thing,dude...no one goes out of the hym looking for fights but chances are from time to time that at some point you may have to defend yourself and then what? you will "assess" the situation and deem it retarded to fight two guys and run because you can't grapple with both of em?
    tl;dr

Paragraphs Plz!
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:52am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either you can fight or you can't. Now, you can morbidly obsess over it, and "become" a decent fighter, but your style won't save you if you have genetically low threshold for pain or a glass jaw, or a body that injures easily. Sorry, these are the breaks. If you aren't fast, you can't become a sprinter, either. I'd go with BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, kickboxing or wrestling. Now, if you are an instinctive badass, you might not need much training. If not, all the lessons in the world aren't going to help you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Thats never been said. The original number was closer to 60% and that was from a LAPD report about cops arresting people, not street fights.
    Nope it has been said several times in support of BJJ i do not believe it myself,but it has been said you can google it if you want

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope it has been said several times in support of BJJ i do not believe it myself,but it has been said you can google it if you want
    You should take this up with the guys in the DHS forum,

they are well equiped to answer your questions and give you stats.

Good Luck,

:5bye:
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast