Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

your opinions on which martial arts are truly useful?

It has been said that eighty percent of fights end up on the ground,but i believe that is because eighty percent of the people who get into fights do not know how to fight while on their feet.

A lot of people watch UFC and automatically assume that MMA and BJJ are the ultimate forms of combat,yet they do not keep in mind that on the streets there are no refrees and rules do not apply (try grappling two guys at once)

People watch movies and automatically assume that whatever martial art they see is the ****. But the truth is, There is only one Bruce Lee and only one chuck norris,these people got to that level through training and constant practice,the martial artist makes the martial art and not vice versa(going to jeet kun do school will not turn you into marshall law or Bruce lee).

Different Martial arts came to existence for different reasons,and as such certain martial arts have became obsolete if you look at them from a self defense level...I am sorry but trying to pull the five animal kung fu with someone in harlem or new orleans will only get you killed these days.

this is being said I just wanted to know your opinions on which martial arts are truly useful from a self defense stand point and don't give me the whole experience slash "years of training" speech,people have jobs and families they are not going to leave everything to go and train in a chinese monastery for thirty years

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sports. Except TKD.

Funnily enough we've never discussed this before.

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:44am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxings gotta be up there. HIt hard then run.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 5:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    Boxings gotta be up there. HIt hard then run.
    Indeed - and there's lots of video evidence on YouTube to back that up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FVD0BR2Mc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 7:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA's that train in a competitive resisting environment in a ruleset that allows for full contact for both striking and grappling.

Grappling isn't as useless as you think on the street, it allows for YOU to be the one planting the guy onto the ground, and it gives you the skills to get off the ground if you are put there, which is better than not knowing wtf to do and getting soccer kicked in the face.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 7:34am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    Indeed - and there's lots of video evidence on YouTube to back that up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FVD0BR2Mc
    Roo-fu FTW!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 8:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any martial art that is taught correctly and practiced with aliveness will serve you, but if you want to be a well rounded fighter you need to have both stand up and ground fighting skills ... that's the reality today ....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 8:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dux Ryu Ninjutsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rooseveltdon
    A lot of people watch UFC and automatically assume that MMA and BJJ are the ultimate forms of combat,yet they do not keep in mind that on the streets there are no refrees and rules do not apply (try grappling two guys at once)
    A lot of people who watch MMA and BJJ practitioners automatically assume we don't understand the difference between the sport arena and the concrete arena.

We understand that there are no rules or refs in the street. Don't worry, we'll still bust you in the balls, crush your throat, beat you in the back of the head, not stop the strangle or joint lock just because you tapped if you want to fight us outside the Dojo. The thing is, We probably have had better training to set you up to pull off these simple moves or concepts.

Also, try keeping your pride in check, having situational awareness/assessment, and just be a nice guy and you'd probably never have to worry about grappling two people at once.

The best MA for you is the one you enjoy. There is not bullet proof system. However, the facts are in. The best fighters are the well rounded ones that participate in full contact sparring.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno where this "80% of fights end up on the ground" thing comes from. As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm not a bouncer or anything, but in my limited experience back from my misspent youth, 0% of fights go to the ground. Unless you count knocking the other guy down and putting the boots to him. I repeat, 0% of real street fights I've ever witnessed (not many, admittedly), ended up on the ground.

Oh, back to the original question. As other posters have said, any ma where live (near-) full contact sparring makes up a significant part of the curriculum, will serve you well.
    Last edited by GoneSouth; 9/05/2007 9:26am at .
Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast