Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 5:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very true.

Either way, I'm still definitely looking forward to getting Bob Spour's (the actual ex-SAS guy) Muay Thai book, apparently its on backorder or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2009 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stjohnwayne View Post
    Bob Spour's (the actual ex-SAS guy)
    Or is he?

He has been exposed by ARRSE ( http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/index.p...ARRSE2#2588359 ) as a Walter Mitty. Total fraud. No substance to his military claims whatsoever. Every time he's been confroted with it, he's done some SAS ninja invisibility trick.

SF-marketing = Bullshit until proven otherwise.

Necroed this old thread as it already has a nice context, and this is more of an announcement for anyone who might search bullshido to check him out. It may be academic anyway as the guy he sold his DVD's through has washed his hands of him and no longer sells the stuff. Anyway, there's your most up to date info on Spour.

EDITED TO ADD

This guy beat me to it while writing. [url] How's that for typical!
    Last edited by Jebuyaga; 5/19/2009 10:41am at .

Posted On:
    5/19/2009 10:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stjohnwayne View Post
    Well, if he is ex-SAS, then there's no use riding him about the fact that he mentioned the fact that some of their training is classified. It's not like he's trying to sell something.
    well he sells sas survival courses and the dvd the threads about so he sells at least 2 things of the back of dead soldiers. as for being classified its pretty much been proven that he couldnt of been in the sas on other forums the most compelling piece of evidence being you have to do parachute training with the raf to get into the sas and he never did along with alot if the dates ect of his supposed service with the sas being wrong .

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 7:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin\BJJ\TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know the British goverment makes her operatives sign a clausule of secrecy, or whatever its really called, forbiding ex-operatives to share SAS classified or not info to the general public.

I remember one guy who wanted to write a book about his life in the SAS and the goverment forbid him.

Alowing a guy to teach to the whole world via internet about close combat training in the SAS in my mind can mean two things:

a) he never was in the SAS to begin with

b) he isnt really teaching anything that is remotly close to what they learn in SAS but bits and pieces of other MA or sport MA

thats my 2c

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 8:23am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The penalty for violating the terms of such a contract is that the government can confiscate any earnings made from the disclosure. You can't be held criminally liable for disclosing unclassified info under common law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 8:57am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must conffess that Im not familiar with the penalties one might face after sharing such information with the public...

Still,common sence would sugest that if you have an elite task force trained to deal with the most delicate situations against a wide array of hostile individuals and/or parties,then it would be unwise to reveal details about the way they are trained since it would be available to the "enemy" to.

For example,if I was in IRA,I would buy all those CD-s and books and stuff,and watch all the shows about SAS on Discovery and History channel,and if that was really detailed inside information about the special forces of Britain,it would take away some of SAS-s "edge" against IRA in some situations.

This example is ofc just a means to get my point accros,not a real scenario...

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 9:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    The penalty for violating the terms of such a contract is that the government can confiscate any earnings made from the disclosure. You can't be held criminally liable for disclosing unclassified info under common law.
    Doesn't quite work that way in the UK:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Secrets_Act

The notion that military hand-to-hand, however, is some kind of issue of national security is pretty much pure silliness. The US training manual, for example, is freely available on the internet. The British Military do little-to-no training for unarmed fighting because they have lots and lots of guns and prefer to use those.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 5/20/2009 9:15am at .

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 9:13am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taliel View Post
    As far as I know the British goverment makes her operatives sign a clausule of secrecy, or whatever its really called, forbiding ex-operatives to share SAS classified or not info to the general public.

I remember one guy who wanted to write a book about his life in the SAS and the goverment forbid him.

Alowing a guy to teach to the whole world via internet about close combat training in the SAS in my mind can mean two things:

a) he never was in the SAS to begin with

b) he isnt really teaching anything that is remotly close to what they learn in SAS but bits and pieces of other MA or sport MA

thats my 2c
    You obviously know very little then. Andy McNab, Chris Ryan, Barry Davies, Gaz hunter, Lofty Wiseman (hint only one of those is not a nom de plume). Of course classified stuff is not for publication, but any old bollocks they trot out will be bought by someone and there are no restrictions. SAS are soldiers not operatives, you are possibly thinking of Spycatcher by Peter Wright in your scrawl above, he was Former Assistant Director of MI5, Stella Rimmington former Director of MI5 had her autobiography published no problem with no Govt. outcry.

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor View Post
    You obviously know very little then. Andy McNab, Chris Ryan, Barry Davies, Gaz hunter, Lofty Wiseman (hint only one of those is not a nom de plume). Of course classified stuff is not for publication, but any old bollocks they trot out will be bought by someone and there are no restrictions. SAS are soldiers not operatives, you are possibly thinking of Spycatcher by Peter Wright in your scrawl above, he was Former Assistant Director of MI5, Stella Rimmington former Director of MI5 had her autobiography published no problem with no Govt. outcry.
    Well I stand corrected then,and really might mixed up the MI5 novel with an SAS one.
    I have a lot of bits of info around my brain and lack in-depth info in matters such as this.

And I agree that in the millitary today hand to hand combat has little significanse,hence no goverment would probably really care who teaches what and were.

Still,I dont know why all those self-defence videos today with all kinds of credentials for their instructors leave such a bad taste in my mouth...
    Makes me biased right from the start as such clear exploatation of todays market mentality makes me say "bullshit" before I even watch the video.

That,and encouriging people that stay all day in the house watching TV and surfing the web,scared of the outside world, to react in a confrotation by hitting necks,gouging eyeballs,hitting spinal cords etc. seems like a liability to the public safety.

But I might digress to much,just saying that me being biased might got the best of me while trying to express my thoughts on the matter...

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 2:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having obtained the DVD series (hoorah for ebay) I thought the stuff taught was ok, nothing exactly groundbreaking, but not bad. However, after having a browse through ARRSE (the Army Rumour Service in the UK) mentioned earlier any questions about the authenticity of Bob Spour can pretty much be laid to rest by looking at
    www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2445041/tvs-sas-hero-bob-spour-is-a-fraud.html

Appologies if the link doesn't work, but this is my first post on Bullshido (first time poster, long time lurker!), but the title pretty much gives away the gist of the article.
    As I said when I was teaching underwater knife-fighting and trumpeting in the 22nd Delta SEALS SBS cadet rangers, "Don't bullshit, you'll get found out one day".
    Words to live by.......
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast