Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SAS Fight Secrets

So normally, any dvd series with any sort of "special forces, black ops bodyguard" ring to its name is bs. But I noticed that SAS Fight Secrets happens to be by Bob Spour, respected Muay Thai coach (and real SAS vet). I watched some of the clips, like this one

I've read others criticize the use of the palm strike (spour calls it the "Jap slap" here), but he seems to use it pretty effectively. Alot of what he's doing looks like it's Muay Thai minus kicks...

My main question is has anyone seen this dvd set, and is it worthwhile or is it just marketing junk by throwing "SAS" in the title?

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Spour is a noted Mauy Thai stylist and features in Martial Arts Illustrated in the UK. He is asserted to be ex-Regiment and it seems legitimate.

But so what? Their idea is more to get you down and out of the way as quickly as possible. You could be the Postman or Cook or car mechanic. It depends on your employment there.

Don't swallow it whole.

BTW, I also saw the adverts (downloads are blocked in the office) in MAI. It seems costly for what might be common sense and/or skill sets you may already possess. Good luck and let us know how you get on and your opinion.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 6:40am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this video was put together by Richard Gannon (Grannon?). He came in for some flak on here after a Systema video he put together was pulled apart by various parties. There were some spurious claims made as to Richard's background (being a cagefighter etc) and a general falling out between Richard and the Systema practicioner showcased (Paul Genge). This resulted in Richard admitting that his attacks in that video were compliant and not full contact as had been previously implied.
    When the SAS video was being put together I saw an early cut (posted on the Geoff Thompson message boards). The general consensus there was that it looked like a good video. Bob Spour is generally held in high regard and appears to have an extremely good reputation among combatatives practicioners. Interestingly, Bob and Richard were talking about a particular section of the footage which showed Bob landing a series of open handed blows to Richard's head (as the attacker). If memory serves correctly, Richard received quite a nasty injury from the blows (it may even have been a fracture to the skull).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 7:00am

Style: SD, JJ, Kettlebells

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have those DVDs, got them from Richie Grannon off of his eBay store and paid 15 (about 30 bucks?) so not that expensive.

The material is pretty good and Richie does take a bit of a hammering. I think the skull injury involved some kind of fluid from the brain leaking out of his nose. He wrote about it on the old Geoff Thompson forum.

The moves are very basic and simple and found in every system but Bob stresses awareness first and then maximum aggression in execution. Bob also has Muay Thai DVDs and a book available and he also teaches NLP. I've not trained with him but have met some guys who have trained with him and none had anything negative to say.

There's a longer review and discussion here:

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/Th...pour-t1148.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 7:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, it sounds like there's decent principles to learn. It did appear to me that one of the big benefits is the simplicity of learning (and ergo increased likelihood of responding with it when you get an adrenaline surge).

What about the neck manipulation? Is this basically clinchwork? Is there enough explanation there to actually do this yourself?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 7:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Don't swallow it whole.
    Good call, I always try to keep in mind that any special ops unit would prefer to just shoot an attacker. The only thing that made me give this even a second glance was noticing its basic, realistic and not based on a ninja-elitist-mentality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 7:20am

Style: SD, JJ, Kettlebells

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stjohnwayne
    Cool, it sounds like there's decent principles to learn. It did appear to me that one of the big benefits is the simplicity of learning (and ergo increased likelihood of responding with it when you get an adrenaline surge).

What about the neck manipulation? Is this basically clinchwork? Is there enough explanation there to actually do this yourself?
    Bob has an MT background so I imagine there are elements of clinchwork there. I've only ever done a little regular kickboxing with no clinches before so I couldn't say for sure.

There are only really 4 moves on the DVD - palm, elbow, knee and head/neck control. He also shows gunting from FMA in the knife section but that's a bit more technical. The other stuff is all pretty well explained and easy to follow.

Bob has also done some specific clinchwork DVDs. Look him up on youtube for the preview clips

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually started by ordering his book "The Science of Eight Limbs" to start. If I like the training plan included in that, I'll probably spring for the dvd's later

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 8:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here I thought the secret of the SAS was to bring bigger and more guns to the fight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the secret of that SAS vet is just to use Muay Thai, I guess. So, cheezy name, but good practical content.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast