Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 12:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj , wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lloyd irvin mcdojo?

a while back i was looking into bjj schools and i found abunch of lloyd irvin schools. web sitewww.llordirvin.com . any way it seems like some good fighters have come out of his school but i got allittle suspicious when is saw a ad in ultimate mma magazine about his school where the add said " they say it takes 10 years to get your black belt in bjj, i say thats a bunch of crap". ive always been a little suspicious of chains schools but it seems like he has a lot of students. what orginization is he under. iknow that there has been a couple post about lloyd irvin but i want to know what you guys think about him. im not trying to bash him but i want to find out the truth. so if anyone knows any thing about him id appreitiate some feed back

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a typo in the link that you gave, here's the site: http://www.lloydirvin.com/

On the above site there is an ad that says: "Discover How To get your BJJ Black Belt in 3 years". It leads to this website. Getting a BJJ BB in 3 years? And at the top of the page it says:

"After Receiving His Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt In Only 4 Years And Defeating Two Gracie's Mike Fowler Finally Reveals How His Instructor Got His Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt In 3 1/2 Years, A Judo Black Belt In 1 Year And A Sombo Black Belt In One Year."

Private lessons with Lloyd Irvin are $1500-2500 an hour (source). Who has that kind of money? Would even pro athletes dish out that kind of money?

There is a list of accomplishments on this page, though I'm not sure where to begin verifying information.
    Last edited by Erdrickgr; 9/12/2009 12:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 12:52pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Brandon Vera train with Lloyd Irvin for his decision loss to Keith Jardine? I know I remember Rogan mentioning Irwin during a Vera fight, but just not which fight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 1:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah vera trained with him

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a link the WorldwideGrappling site that SamboSteve started about his SAMBO

http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/gr...2&page=1&pp=10

Here is a link from Sherdog questioning his legitimacy.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/ll...-legit-686440/

I'll let you read them and make your own conclusions

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is hilarious. While Lloyd does have good jits he is a marketing whore...

YouTube - Supplies!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 2:54pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing to remember is that Lloyd has multiple locations in the northern Virginia area. So does Pedro Sauer, so does Leo Dalla, and so does the Yamasaki academy. Bottom line, if a person had the money and time and was willing to commit to putting in the work, they could earn their Black Belt in BJJ in a few years. Hell, maybe even shorter than that. There literally a ton of schools in this area and in addition to the multiple big name schools, there are several others that have legit BJJ backgrounds that are not huge names. That doesn't even take into consideration the Sambo schools in the area and at least a half dozen of Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling schools, or Judo programs. A person could easily train 5 or 6 hours a day in grappling if one was willing and had the means.

Earning a blackbelt in an art such as BJJ and hopefully any martial art, should be about skill, not time in grade. If you know the techniques and can consistently beat your fellow students at the same belt and below, then what is to stop someone from being tested for higher rank?

I read somewhere that Joe Lewis got his blackbelt in just 18 months, but I don't think too many people would have wanted to step in the ring with him in his prime. He dedicated himself to his training in a way that few others were prepared to do. Combine that with his god given talent and you have someone that can earn a blackbelt quickly when compared to others. That doesn't make anyone a fake in and of itself.

Now, if they can't back it up, that is another thing entirely.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 3:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the feedback.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 3:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but are the belts that he gives you legitemate like gracie jiu jiustu or is he giving belts under his own system. and if he does give belts under his own system are you getting the equivelate of what the gracies are giving or is his system just a way to get more people to go to his school because they can get there black belts faster. a watered down blackbelt doesnt mean anything. i believe that he could of gotten all those acheivements but im talking about his schools.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 5:26pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lloyd Irvin is a very well recognized BJJ practitioner and teacher and to my knowledge was Leo Dalla's first blackbelt. I cannot imagine a legitimate BJJ organization not recognizing rank earned through him. Maybe there is something I am not seeing here?

As for the other arts, there is so much cross over between many of the grappling arts that it is not surprising that one could learn more quickly than other students.

I guess the bottom line is this. Can the person in question back it up? Can his/her students? If they can roll and they have a history of producing students who can fight, I could not care less how long they studied.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast