228144 Bullies, 4724 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 29 of 29
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    9/06/2007 9:07am

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tabwyo, your avatar, what the heck??? LOL.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  2. Donkey_Fizzle is offline

    Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    between the moutains and some sagebrush
    Posts
    1,697

    Posted On:
    9/06/2007 11:26am


     Style: Kick Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DrF. McGulicutties contribution. The avatar that is.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
    Status: Semi retarded... I mean retired
  3. Nid is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,530

    Posted On:
    9/06/2007 12:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    That's all I was saying. For someone who is just starting out all the advice can be a bit overwhelming. Because of the complexities, people can often be intimidated and not ask questions. It has nothing to do with the quality of advice, just the quantity. This is why Kein's sarcastic response was a bit unnecessary.
    I was affirming your statement.

    You should absoloutely be vigilant of all the nonsense terms and advice given, the basis of which is ultimately little more than "it worked for me".

    :jerkit2yf

    Especially when it comes to PT, if you say to yourself: "This doesn't make sense. I'm not sure the contributer fully understands what he's reccomending." 99 out of 100 times you'd be right.

    In reality, absent of your proprietary task, the body doesn't respond in the multitude of ways which one would gather from a forum like this. There are basic responses so basic stressors.

    Splitting up different kinds of strength...it's all bullshit. All of it. They are not found at the physiological level.

    Endurance strength
    Explosive strength
    Anearobic strength
    Speed strength
    Loose power
    Static strength
    Etc etc

    These are a matter of perception or external performance. Not changes inside the meat of your muscle. Why is that an important distinction? Because external performance cannot be effectively controlled for study very easily given the vast differences (besides a cubic inch of muscle tissue) which exist *between* individuals.

    And why is THAT important? Because there *are* principals which apply to everyone. What gets in the way of articulating them is comparing the wrong things, like: "After I spar with weighted gloves, my hands feel so much quicker." Mother of ****, what insight!

    Good litmus test for anything: How do you measure it? That puts people into SUCH a tizzy. Ahhhhh.....pro-athlete this, power-lifter that.
    Last edited by Nid; 9/06/2007 12:42pm at .
  4. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    9/06/2007 1:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I misunderstood your initial post.
  5. Emevas is offline
    Emevas's Avatar

    Dysfunctionally Strong

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788

    Posted On:
    9/06/2007 8:56pm

    supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Look up West Side for Skinny Bastards. I have read the plan and it seems good. It was designed apparently as an alternative for new PL'ers but the guy found it more useful for training athletes who already had other training priorities.

    It is a 3 day program (where WestSide is 4 I believe). It also has more unilateral exercises as he thinks they are good for sports (can't disagree).
    Yeah, I've used WS4SB before. It's definitely a nice plan, although it's RE and lacks RE/DE on the lowerboyd, which was what I was getting around.

    RB: Thanks for your perspective. I figured it'd have to be cut down to a full body in order to accomidate it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
  6. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    9/06/2007 10:51pm

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I was affirming your statement.

    You should absoloutely be vigilant of all the nonsense terms and advice given, the basis of which is ultimately little more than "it worked for me".

    :jerkit2yf

    Especially when it comes to PT, if you say to yourself: "This doesn't make sense. I'm not sure the contributer fully understands what he's reccomending." 99 out of 100 times you'd be right.

    In reality, absent of your proprietary task, the body doesn't respond in the multitude of ways which one would gather from a forum like this. There are basic responses so basic stressors.

    Splitting up different kinds of strength...it's all bullshit. All of it. They are not found at the physiological level.

    Endurance strength
    Explosive strength
    Anearobic strength
    Speed strength
    Loose power
    Static strength
    Etc etc

    These are a matter of perception or external performance. Not changes inside the meat of your muscle. Why is that an important distinction? Because external performance cannot be effectively controlled for study very easily given the vast differences (besides a cubic inch of muscle tissue) which exist *between* individuals.

    And why is THAT important? Because there *are* principals which apply to everyone. What gets in the way of articulating them is comparing the wrong things, like: "After I spar with weighted gloves, my hands feel so much quicker." Mother of ****, what insight!

    Good litmus test for anything: How do you measure it? That puts people into SUCH a tizzy. Ahhhhh.....pro-athlete this, power-lifter that.
    So, in short, what would you suggest as answer or partial answer to tabwyo's question?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  7. LI GUY 1 is offline
    LI GUY 1's Avatar

    GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,561

    Posted On:
    9/07/2007 2:29am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Yeah, I've used WS4SB before. It's definitely a nice plan, although it's RE and lacks RE/DE on the lowerboyd, which was what I was getting around.

    RB: Thanks for your perspective. I figured it'd have to be cut down to a full body in order to accomidate it.

    I know it lacks certain things, but I think the point is tat it is made for athletes. I never used it BTW, maybe I will try it out soon. I believe it lacks certain things from a traditional strength program because of the athletes other training practices.

    For example, I remember reading on PowerLifting articles that box squats although great for power lifters would be a waste for athletes who use lifting/power lifting for strength gains. I don't remember if this is WS4SB's approach but it's just an example of how all the details of a traditional strength program may not apply to athleteswho use the program as a supplement to other training.
  8. Nid is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,530

    Posted On:
    9/07/2007 9:20am

    supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How would you work out if you wanted to gain in overal muscle stregnth and endurance yet avoid any weight gain?
    How would I answer that?

    Short answer:

    I'd say grow more muscle with very abbreviated strength training, lose the equivalent weight of fat with careful accounting of one's calories, and pursue your sport as much as your body and schedule will allow.

    In the outside chance one happens to grow more muscle than he wants, and or loses more fat than he wants, then ditch the strength training.

    That tends not to happen, however.

    Now, are we talking a specific routine?

    And this is where (you may not guess), I'm almost infinitely flexible.

    My rigidity lies in my insistence on refraining from fanciful NONSENSE TERMS. Nonsense marketing terms. "Speed strength". Jeez, who doesn't want that? Sounds awesome. That's such a convoluted by-product of so many things, and certainly not a measureable physiological property. Yes, it can be crudely explained as performance happenstance, but it's way out there at the end the line where the individual meets his task. Not where all human processes churn and metabolise.

    This is where the onion meets my ointment, and the armadillo walks alone. :XXonlyamo
    Last edited by Nid; 9/07/2007 9:25am at .
  9. SunTzu is offline

    Skinnyweight

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,320

    Posted On:
    9/07/2007 11:01am

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    I know it lacks certain things, but I think the point is tat it is made for athletes. I never used it BTW, maybe I will try it out soon. I believe it lacks certain things from a traditional strength program because of the athletes other training practices.

    For example, I remember reading on PowerLifting articles that box squats although great for power lifters would be a waste for athletes who use lifting/power lifting for strength gains. I don't remember if this is WS4SB's approach but it's just an example of how all the details of a traditional strength program may not apply to athleteswho use the program as a supplement to other training.
    The reason WS4SB doesn't have a second lower body day is because it's based off of programs designed for athletes who are doing drills and other sport-specific activities and may not have enough time to recover for another LB day.

    tabwyo, I found this, might be a useful template for you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.