Posted On:
    9/04/2007 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Treadmill vs Open air running...

Sorry if this seems an odd Question.

I use the treadmill pretty much everytime i'm at the gym. Last holidays i went home and didn;t have on, so i just ran outside.

I ran for a similar distance and the roads at home aren't steep or anything, but it seemed harder. I was wondering if it made a difference as to wether i used the treadmill or just ran outside??

Thanks alot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 9:28am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read something, somewhere, at some point that said if your running on a treadmill you should set the incline. Running perfectly flat on a treadmill (while still providing a physical benefit), does not provide the same resistance as real-world running.

So if your running inside, ramp it up!

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 10:30am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a marked difference between running on a Treadmill and hacking it on the hills/streets. The Treadmill is easier and you can modify the incline and rigour at the touch of button.
    Out on the Road, the pavement is harder and you feel the shock up through the body. I say this irrespective of road camber, as my usual route also involves inclines, grass swards off-road and park trails. You are also watched by others who will see you foaming at the mouth, struggling, etc. It's a damn sight easier in the gym.
    I no longer bash out 8 miles in 42 mins (easy at the time for me) as I'm much older and heavier and currently have an ankle injury. It's only 3 miles or so these days and I try for a feeling of well-being but the first run I did not having run for 6 months was bloody awful. I suffered and felt the after-effects for a couple of days. Then it got better and I started to find my rhythm in both pace and breathing (then I injured my ankle.....)...and it Rained and was damned Cold.

Treadmills also 'give' in other words, they will 'bounce' and absorb some of the shock of you running.

Take it easy

Edit - It was 8 miles in 42 mins - I was a footballer (soccer player) so plenty of cardio fitness but no upper body strength. I filled much later (not much good at football though these days...)
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 9/05/2007 4:26am at .

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 5:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I usually am running on an incline. I may start alternating between the two. Its the start of spring here, so its not too bad to be outside running ('fresh air' probly good for me ), though i live on uni and there alot of students around...

Sorry about you're ankle man, hate the injuries.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 6:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu, BJJ - injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always preferred outside, it's where I do most of my cardio work. Run around uni, road running is good, but try to vary the terrain unless you have really good running shoes. Bit hard on the knees.
    A good rhythm I've found is essential, in breathing and pace. Get it right, it feels good and you can go on and on.

Weak

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    syberia - you can get an awesome workout from a treadmill if you know how to use it well.

I was a cross country runner so still prefer running outdoors but some days I'll just hit the treadmill.

Don't bother running like a hamster on the treadmill. Do things like minute intervals (you can keep the pace the same but alternate the incline, or you can keep the incline set at a mid level and alternate pace, sprint-jog-sprint). Really push yourself, don't be a wimp and up that incline.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 7:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks i will.
    I'd prefer running outside to, if there weren't so many damn people here.
    I really need to improve my cadio tho- and do more running + walking.
    Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in Jan!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 3:51am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running on a treadmill is also easier on your hamstrings because the floor moves under you. If your running for fitness a treadmill is acceptable but if your running to become better at running then the road is the only option.

Im not exactly sure of the fitness requirements of mountain climbing but might also want to look into GPP, HIIT and other forms of high intensity conditioning.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 3:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GPP and HIIT???
    I definatly think i'm going to have to hit the road...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 6:32am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GPP refers to General Physical Prepardness which is basically physical activity designed to increase your work capacity. HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. which is as the name would suggest high intensity work done in intervals. A search on google should get quite a few results but I strongly suggest buying Ross Enamits Infinite Intensity or Never Gymless. They both have a excellent conditioning programme. Even if you dont buy the books, read his articles and crusie the forums, there is alot of knowledge there.

www.rosstraining.com is the website
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast