232545 Bullies, 4467 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 11:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry
    If that wood is anything the likes of African ebony, Ipe, etc., then I wouldn't be surprised to see that wooden weapon actually sink in water.

That never even crossed my mind. I'm curious now. I'll have to try it out in the tub.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 12:11pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, I want one of those gunstock clubs from "Last of the Mohicans". Chingachgook FTW.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 1:53am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Fitts
    ****, I want one of those gunstock clubs from "Last of the Mohicans". Chingachgook FTW.
    Cold Steel recently started making one:
    http://www.coldsteel.com/92pgs.html
    Also, just for fun, watch this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-XfM8624OQ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 10:21am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    That never even crossed my mind. I'm curious now. I'll have to try it out in the tub.
    Yeah, it's a neat experiment you can try, just by wrapping it in some plastic, and then seeing if it sinks in water.

Only the densest woods can do this, such as Ipe, Lignum Vitae, etc.
    Last edited by chemistry; 9/07/2007 10:24am at .

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 4:37pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been thinking of buying a wooden pick handle (mattock?) and driving some of those huge 10 inch nails through it to make a ghetto morningstar. A HS bud of mine had an aluminum baseball bat with two holes drilled through it and rusty barbed wire ran through the holes and around the head of the bat. Hmmm, maybe I should just make one of those.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 10:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks authentic. Mine has the handle end roughed up tho, in a spiral pattern kinda like some really loose threading.
    I just got mine back from my dad, along with my blackthorn Shillelagh, and they were both dried out & the heads got cracked. Talk about a bummer...
    I've been thinking about soaking them in tung oil & hoping to everything that's holy that they just fix themselves. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm especially bummed since I don't know where I can get a real blackthorn Shillelagh thats cane length.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 9/07/2007 11:30pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 12:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Mine has the handle end roughed up tho, in a spiral pattern kinda like some really loose threading.

If there's anything I dislike about it, it's probably the handle. It's a little too smooth. If my hands were really wet or excessively dry, it would probably be tough to hold on to if I was swinging the hell out of it. If I wanted to make it more functional, I could wrap it with hockey tape or something. But why bother? It's not like I carry the thing to work or anything (although I wouldn't mind cracking a few heads sometimes.) And at home it's stored right next to a pistol, so it won't be seeing any home defense use anytime soon. It does make a cool conversation piece, though.

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 3:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get a bicycle tire tube and cut it to appropriate lengths and slide/roll it on. there's even a powder inside the tube which makes it easy. i did that with my ironwood arnis sticks and now they're practically rubberized. it's awesome.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    get a bicycle tire tube and cut it to appropriate lengths and slide/roll it on. there's even a powder inside the tube which makes it easy. i did that with my ironwood arnis sticks and now they're practically rubberized. it's awesome.

is it wrong that your post got me kinda randy? :confused4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 9:52am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    I just got mine back from my dad, along with my blackthorn Shillelagh, and they were both dried out & the heads got cracked. Talk about a bummer...
    I've been thinking about soaking them in tung oil & hoping to everything that's holy that they just fix themselves. Anyone have any suggestions?
    How badly are the heads cracked? If those cracks are just surface ones, then using polymerized tung oil can certainly help strengthen it. I'd start just by applying several coats over several days, giving it 2-3 days to cure between each coat.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast