232637 Bullies, 3983 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 9:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My War Club

I thought I'd post a few pics of this mutha'. I was on vacation with the wife a few years ago, and got roped into shopping one afternoon. There was about a mile long stretch of street lined with one overpriced specialty shop after another. I had the displeasure of visiting them all.

Anyway, one of the shops sold African antiques and imports. I found this club there and snatched it up. It was labeled as a Maasai War Club, and the tag said it was made from the root of some tree which I can't remember the name of. My GoogleFu has revealed that it's called a Rungu and is used for throwing and general beatings about the head, neck, and shoulders.

I don't know if it really came from Africa or was carved by some dude in Topeka. I don't know if it's an antique or not. And I don't know if it's made from the root of some African tree like the tag said. What I do know is that it's hard as hell and very heavy for it's size. And there's no doubt it's a vicious weapon. The force you can generate with this thing is unreal. I guess because all the weight is at one end and the length is just right. I can honestly say I think I'd rather get hit by a hammer or baseball bat than this thing. I don't know how rare they are. I'd be interested to hear from anybody else who's held one to see what they thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DigitalPics 048.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	8178  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DigitalPics 049.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	8179  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DigitalPics 050.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	8180  

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. My brother used to have a rungu. The color was different because it wasn't stained or anything, but it pretty much looked like that.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:46am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always wanted a mace, don't know why...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 3:56am

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I thought I'd post a few pics of this mutha'. I was on vacation with the wife a few years ago, and got roped into shopping one afternoon. There was about a mile long stretch of street lined with one overpriced specialty shop after another. I had the displeasure of visiting them all.

Anyway, one of the shops sold African antiques and imports. I found this club there and snatched it up. It was labeled as a Maasai War Club, and the tag said it was made from the root of some tree which I can't remember the name of. My GoogleFu has revealed that it's called a Rungu and is used for throwing and general beatings about the head, neck, and shoulders.

I don't know if it really came from Africa or was carved by some dude in Topeka. I don't know if it's an antique or not. And I don't know if it's made from the root of some African tree like the tag said. What I do know is that it's hard as hell and very heavy for it's size. And there's no doubt it's a vicious weapon. The force you can generate with this thing is unreal. I guess because all the weight is at one end and the length is just right. I can honestly say I think I'd rather get hit by a hammer or baseball bat than this thing. I don't know how rare they are. I'd be interested to hear from anybody else who's held one to see what they thought.
    I had a rungu once, I smashed a thick wine bottle with it . Careful to who you show it to though, because the resemblance it bears to a phallus could get you some weird looks from the less informed. Otherwise, yeah rungus are some painful fuckers. Especially if you hit someone in a joint with the pointy part of the ball. Though mine might've been a tad smaller then yours though. As to authenticity I doubt it, mine said made in vietnam.
    How the hell a masai war club is made in vietnam, don't know.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 7:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    I had a rungu once, I smashed a thick wine bottle with it . Careful to who you show it to though, because the resemblance it bears to a phallus could get you some weird looks from the less informed. Otherwise, yeah rungus are some painful fuckers. Especially if you hit someone in a joint with the pointy part of the ball. Though mine might've been a tad smaller then yours though. As to authenticity I doubt it, mine said made in vietnam.
    How the hell a masai war club is made in vietnam, don't know.

Yeah, like I said, I don't know about the authenticity. It doesn't have any markings like "made in Vietnam" or anything like that, though. It was definitely hand carved by somebody. And yes, it does resemble a phallus, except much smaller than my own.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 10:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a murder-myster book written by a local author (Michael Slade) in which some crazy guy kills a bunch of dudes with one of those things by clubbing them over the nead and caving in their skulls. I can't remember what the books title is, but I'll check for you when i get home.

That is exactly how i pictured it in my mind when the author described it.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Slade ; It's interesting in it's own right.

The book i'm talking about is titled "Zombie" here, but mine is titled "Evil Eye".

I recommend all the Slade books, if you're into murder-mystey novels. They're fun, and way better than anything on television.
    Last edited by Neildo; 9/04/2007 12:30pm at .

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I have a murder-myster book written by a local author (Michael Slade) in which some crazy guy kills a bunch of dudes with one of those things by clubbing them over the nead and caving in their skulls. I can't remember what the books title is, but I'll check for you when i get home.

That is exactly how i pictured it in my mind when the author described it.

Interesting. Thanks.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 2:35pm

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mines made of high impact polypropylene and made in the US

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 12:52pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I don't know if it really came from Africa or was carved by some dude in Topeka. I don't know if it's an antique or not. And I don't know if it's made from the root of some African tree like the tag said.
    Beautiful wood indeed.

There are all sorts of really hard, dense woods out there, that can make really fine weapons. If that wood is anything the likes of African ebony, Ipe, etc., then I wouldn't be surprised to see that wooden weapon actually sink in water.

The way I see it, it really shouldn't matter whether it actually came from Africa or not. You have yourself one fine wooden weapon, and should be proud of owning it.

God forbid, you ever have to use it, but I feel sorry for the poor sap whose head gets caved in with a single blow of that club.

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 9:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in South Africa last year - a JJ Tournament and Seminar - and we did some travelling. You could buy one of those things at "cultural workhops" along the Highway(s). African carvings, beads etc.

Looks to me like a genuine SA Knockberrie. Some of our group bought them.

Be careful with it down the pub.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast