233416 Bullies, 3583 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    I'unno, it doesn't look like a really effective system... and why the Hell do they put their hands behind their heads while elbowing?

But as long as they're not claiming anything false, let them do head-grab elbows.
    I don't know about the elbowing part, but planting your hands on the forehead near the top of the head and then moving them back towards the back of the head to block punches is a component of crazy monkey boxing, a Rodney King specialty.

If you watch "Rampage" Jackson fight, when shots are thrown at him, he performs this motion to effectively block strikes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You beat me to the punch, re the Crazy Monkey defense ... same basic tactic pops up in some variants of the 52 Blocks as well. I don't know much about Keysi except that I thought it was a good choice for the fight choreography in the Batman movie. Based on that demo., though, I'd say that the guard is a good general cover for the head and neck and it's a strong mechanical support for powerful elbow/forearm strikes.

The capoeira-type kicks are a bit disconcerting but it looks as if they mostly use the kicks as a cover while they're getting up off the ground.

There's a bit more footage here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uka0tPCFqQ

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 1:38am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now my knowledge of striking comes from basic fandom and friends who are strikers (and lurking on Strikestan) so my comments don't hold much weight but...
    While the defense may bear a striking resemblance to Crazy Monkey (which I personally like) the over-all look of the style seemed pretty... well... bad.

The demos (and I know it'ss just demos but hear me out) looks scarily a lot like Wing Chun but replace "CENTERLINE AND CHAIN PUNCHING" with crazy "PROTECT MY FUCKING HEAD" and "ELBOWS! A FLURRY OF ELBOWS!". And this also made it seem a little under-developed at least.

Their ground work didn't seem to have any real form and every attack was the basic "I lunge punch you" or something of that nature. Now it could be that the promo vid's drama annoyed me or that I really hate their "THIS WAS BORN ON T3H STR33T BRRRRWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!" but I just can't see anything really positive here. Just a bunch of spazzing elbows and jerky demo reels.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 6:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    I'unno, it doesn't look like a really effective system... and why the Hell do they put their hands behind their heads while elbowing?

But as long as they're not claiming anything false, let them do head-grab elbows.
    I think its called the something like Thinking Man position, or something in Keysi. I thought of Crazy Monkey too when I saw it.

Keysi looks like it all about getting in close and doing damage with headbutts and elbows. Which is pretty good. What I didn't like on the promo vid was they seem comfortable exposing their back to their opponent without doing anything solid. Example the was apart were the guy enters an spins around, which looks like he is headbutting, then claws the guys face. I don't think that would go over too well in actual application.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 9:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok two things:

im not so interested what an actor or movie director have to say about KFM, unless they practise some ma its not so relevant.

the video of the students, it was a bit slow and static with horrible rhytm, but what i noticed most was that they're showing their own weak spot (of their style): look at it again and see how easy it is to break guard (hands/arms) when the guy raises his elbows in defense postition, his body is open.
    you don't even have to break through his defense because there practically isnt any.

it looks like this style thinks there is only short range fighting in da str33tz, which isnt true at all.
    When one student threw the other one he could get in quite easily, now im not sure if i was looking at a fight, a demo, or sparring, but i hope for them it was a demo (my sound was off).

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I loved that music in the first video. I'm going to have to start listening to breaker.
    It's kind of hard to tell how good their training is based just on demos. Do they actually glove up and hit eachother, or is it all just "stand still while I hit you" type stuff?

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pensador, I think its called, Asia.

And while it looks a lot like the Rodney King "crazy monkey" boxing guard, my beef with this stuff is that the guard they're using isn't loose and mobile its still very static. Plus, they're striking with the elbows using, I guess, their trunks to generate the power. That's what it looks like from the video.

Also, on watching second tape, both the footwork and the elbow stuff looks like its mostly taken from Filipino and indonesian martial arts. Most of that stuff looks like Djurus from traditional silat and the low-line striking looks a bit like some of the filipino empty hand stuff I've seen.

I've trained the silat stuff before, and as usual, its not trained live, but the footwork and the stepping around behind the opponent and also the footwork in which you're stepping around your opponent with your whole body (I don't know if that makes sense.) is very common in silat.
    Last edited by JP; 9/04/2007 2:53pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 4:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    ... my beef with this stuff is that the guard they're using isn't loose and mobile its still very static...
    Everything they do seems to be static according the videos they release. Which to me equals not functional when the pressure is on.

After reading the "Art" and "Philosophy" sections on their website http://www.keysikfm.com/en/philosophy.php they don't state that their way of fighting is effective. They say (in my understanding) that it's about developing/growing as a human being with MA being the vehicle.:eusa_eh:

That's a nice out for not being practical IMO.

Are there any people who have done or are doing KFM that would like to put there .02 cents on the subject?

poser

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 5:57pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It almost looks like it was designed solely for movies. Hence why they're using it in a Batman flick?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must of missed the memo. Fighting like a ninja...Out. Fighting like Batman...In

A new MA that helps fulfill the fantasy of the socially inept.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast