218301 Bullies, 9042 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 12:46pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin
    I use a simple test...is the inventor of the new guard or gymmic the only one that can pull that stuff off? How many people can do it ? Can you do it under competitive stress? Do you need some sort of freakish flexibility, strenght or something to pull it off?

If you need, then it's a gymmic..something to sell DVD's and semminars! That's what I think.
    If YOU can pull it off...kudos for you, you're way above the rest of us, simple mortals!
    Ok, that wasn't very simple.
    If something is NEW, not a lot of people will be able to do it, especially considering the fact that it takes THOUSANDS OF REPETITIONS to get a move down into your 'muscle memory'.

Obviously, I'm not advocating inventing five different moves a day, I'm just saying that your criteria aren't good.

If we followed your criteria, Eddie Bravo's rubber guard would have been considered bullshit at the time he defeated Renzo Gracie because it was a set of moves only he (Eddie Bravo) did. Also, it required some flexibility which others don't have, so some might have 'tried' it and, at first, failed.

A move is bullshit if it doesn't work against someone who has experience. Simple as that.

If you're flexible and a move works well for you, it's a move that works for flexible people. If something works well for you and you're strong, it's a move that works for strong people. If you're lengthy and the move works for you it's a move that works for lengthy people. You get the point.

A move isn't a 'gimmick' if only stronger/lengthier/leaner/flexible/etc. people use it. Likewise, a move isn't necessarily a 'gimmick' if only a few people use it.
    Last edited by krazy kaju; 10/28/2007 12:53pm at .

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 4:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we were talking about X-guard for MMA:

I was doing mma sparring with a purple belt who normally destroys me in BJJ sparring with x-guard. I have better striking and same level wrestling as him so after a few tussles, he ended up on his back and went to x-guard.

I based out and was able to land big shots (pulled of course) pretty much at will. Just my 2 cents.

Hi, guys

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    If something is NEW, not a lot of people will be able to do it, especially considering the fact that it takes THOUSANDS OF REPETITIONS to get a move down into your 'muscle memory'.

Obviously, I'm not advocating inventing five different moves a day, I'm just saying that your criteria aren't good.

If we followed your criteria, Eddie Bravo's rubber guard would have been considered bullshit at the time he defeated Renzo Gracie because it was a set of moves only he (Eddie Bravo) did. Also, it required some flexibility which others don't have, so some might have 'tried' it and, at first, failed.

A move is bullshit if it doesn't work against someone who has experience. Simple as that.

If you're flexible and a move works well for you, it's a move that works for flexible people. If something works well for you and you're strong, it's a move that works for strong people. If you're lengthy and the move works for you it's a move that works for lengthy people. You get the point.

A move isn't a 'gimmick' if only stronger/lengthier/leaner/flexible/etc. people use it. Likewise, a move isn't necessarily a 'gimmick' if only a few people use it.
    Royler.. Royler Gracie.

I swear you guys are doing this on purpose.
    More human than human is our motto.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456