233521 Bullies, 3677 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yoga For Fighters

So I'm at the gym reading through Tapout magazine and I find an article on Phil Migliarese where he talks about his "Yoga For Fighters" video and also advertises his school and website. So I go there (www.jiujitsumatrix.com) as well as the Yoga page (www.yogaforfighters.com). Unfortunately, it looks very Lloyd Irin-ish with the "give me your email address, get stuff in your inbox...blah, blah, blah". I decided I would ask the lovely folks here and see if anyone has any experience with the program, videos, etc, etc and get your take on it. Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:06pm

Style: Peace

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah I haven't even heard of it before. What most people recommend is to take power yoga classes near you. Much like martial arts you don't get the full effect of it just learning from videos and books, classes are very helpfull if you have the time.

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:14pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard a lot of people talk about how Yoga has improved their game simply on the flexability aspect (plus a little focus, mind over body sort of stuff but I was more focused on flexability). While just stretching can pro'lly do the same thing, yoga just seems like it can only help and not hurt a person's game to me. (If you can afford the time and money, that is)

Still, video yoga sounds as dumb as video-learn-anything and I bet there's a good risk of people pushing themselves too hard or doing something wrong and over-extending themselves or popping something out.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    I've heard a lot of people talk about how Yoga has improved their game simply on the flexability aspect (plus a little focus, mind over body sort of stuff but I was more focused on flexability). While just stretching can pro'lly do the same thing, yoga just seems like it can only help and not hurt a person's game to me. (If you can afford the time and money, that is)

Still, video yoga sounds as dumb as video-learn-anything and I bet there's a good risk of people pushing themselves too hard or doing something wrong and over-extending themselves or popping something out.
    Well, I've learned alot from videos with regards to grappling but that's because I take the information and see if it actually works and not at face value.

I do a lot of stretching with Bob Anderson's "Stretching" book. Great book by the way. I've increased my flexibility a lot since using it consistently.

Also, we will have a Yoga instructor starting this month (I believe) and depending on the class times, I should be able to make it. I've heard those things as well but figured having a video with a decided focus on the fight game would be helpful. I tend to use my video library more as a reference for helpful tips and little hints and helping my overall game. The exception to this rule will probably be Eddie Bravo's "Mastering The Rubber Guard" DVD that is soon to be released. I'm pretty sure I will be learning from that for years to come.

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 2:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see videos adding to what you know and stuff like that, but that assumes you already know at least the basics on your own. Trying to pick up Yoga from a video cold is just a little risky IMO (If you're bringing in a teacher and then supplimenting it, well, by all means go ahead).

I learned a lot from Karo's No-Gi Judo vids and like referring to the Kosen Judo Google Video clips a lot before and after class, but if I didn't already know Judo to a limited degree first I would be just as bad as those kids who do Ashida Kim **** in their rooms or one of those Tapout goons who think that "practicing" moves they see in the UFC in their backyards is equivelant to going out and finding a gym.

And I feel that teacherless Yoga could be even worse than that because of all the wierd positions one takes in it and all the potential strain one can put on their joints and back from it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 8:50am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use this DVD, seems ok but i just don't seem to get the same out of it as i would in a class.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Conditi...8741021&sr=8-1

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on whether or not it meets during my Judo classes (Oh God, it's going to feel so good going back, I think I jizzed in my pants a little just now) I might start going to Yoga at the school gym once or twice week. Flexability... Girls... .... Girls... I mean, what's there not to like?

I tried last year but after the first class my back got injured and I said "**** this" and bugged out, but I think if I just take it easier then I'd enjoy it more.

^ Also the reason why I am against unsupervised Yoga. If that happened to me in class (I mean my back fucking HURT) then by yourself just seems dumb.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 3:05pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I jizzed in my pants a little just now

Yeah...

?

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife does Ashtanga yoga six days a week. In the yoga world, Ashtanga is the "macho" style for lack of a better term. I've done it a bit and it's quite difficult and physically challenging. I think it's a great addition to one's overall fitness plan. Caveat: Ashtanga probably needs to be done w/ an instructor or someone with some knowledge; it would be very, very easy to get hurt.
    d

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 8:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried last year but after the first class my back got injured and I said "**** this" and bugged out, but I think if I just take it easier then I'd enjoy it more.

^ Also the reason why I am against unsupervised Yoga. If that happened to me in class (I mean my back fucking HURT) then by yourself just seems dumb.
    Like all things there are good yoga classes and there are bad yoga classes. Largely it depends on the teacher and the style (some of them smell just as bad as the martial arts we discuss here). If the teacher is more interested in the class flowing along at a correct pace (we must get all of the poses done in an hour) than the people in the class getting into the correct position (which according to my cousin is fairly common) then the chances of injures go way up (and the position you get into may do nothing for you). There are also a number of yoga style which claim to have various spiritual or mystical claims...

Ashtanga yoga seems to have the best reputation.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast