Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 8:36pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only problem with stuff like this, is that it kind of seems to bounce between entertainment value for people, over some down to earth really good, respectable fight footage that I could watch and maybe try to pick up something, or at least understand what's going on there.

now, this is 100% my fault for looking for such things on a televised event, but it's still fighting.. I can't help myself.

I just think some exercised flexible rules would do the thing good, the list above comes to mind.

We really outta try to get it to C-Nor Sensei somehow.

poser

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 8:55pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An e-mail probably wouldn't get higher than a customer service rep, and a letter probably wouldn't get past a general manager. There's really no way to call the execs on the phone, either.

I guess the best way would be to post it in a really obvious place. Does the WCL have a webforum or something? Maybe like send this list to the news org that published the original article as a follow-up or something.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 10:39am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of these are going to be new ideas. Chuck is being a stubborn ass and he is going to lose his money because of it. He wants what HE likes to become popular. It is clearly not a case of make standup popular or he would have used different rules from the beginning.

I know the WCL will fail because they won't change. If they get bought out or something I'd love to see them keep that goofy ring and go to straight K-1 rules.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the WCL for a couple reasons:
    -The rules are set up to encourage flashy techniques and aggressive fights. I like this, because flashy techniques and aggressive fights are generally more fun to watch. I saw one guy (I believe it was Raymond Daniels) throw a high roundhouse, stagger his opponent, and flow right into a spinning hook kick for the KO. That made my day.
    -The pants and kick boots are a blast from the past.
    -I like the team format, as lower weight classes seem to get more exposure that way. I find that the little guys tend to be more athletic and more fun to watch than the heavyweights. I also like that each team has a female fighter, because it's fun to watch women kick each other in the head.
    -I think the ropeless ring is neat. It makes for a bit of a change from the traditional boxing ring, and keeps people from getting cought in the corner.

According to wikipedia*, they're getting rid of the kick boots. I agree that leg kicks should be made a bigger part of the game. I also feel like that, at the very minimum, karate-style footsweeps should be allowed, if not full blown San Shou style throws. Watching people getting taken down is fun, and takedowns are fairly significant part of traditional karate competitions.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Combat_League

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 11:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with that guy who said let's steal the rules from Sanshou and make it style vs. style. As liking flashy techniques, have you seen those crazy leg scissor takedowns SS allows? I spit Mountain Dew all over the place the first time one of those went flying across my TV. And let's get some capoeira guys in there.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 11:57am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    -The rules are set up to encourage flashy techniques and aggressive fights. I like this, because flashy techniques and aggressive fights are generally more fun to watch. I saw one guy (I believe it was Raymond Daniels) throw a high roundhouse, stagger his opponent, and flow right into a spinning hook kick for the KO. That made my day.

The fighters get bonuses based on performance too. I know they get a big bonus for a head-kick KO.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big WCL nutrider because of the flashy moves, fast pace and loads of KOs. It has it's flaws to be sure. However, fighters can (and do) use circular footwork, evasion and counter-punching. Leg kicks and knees are allowed. The rules have evolved so that now, you can grab/clinch to knee but must release after, and leg kicks must be part of a combination but they can now end on a leg kick without following it with another technique.

Here's the deal, though. I have watched K1 and don't like some if it for these reasons... Many times they devolve (expecially in later rounds when the fighters get tired) into the fighters clinched, up against the ropes throwing weak knees at each other's thighs. And many times they slow waaaayyy down while the fighters feel each other out with the action limited to the fighters throwing leg kicks from the outside. Booooorrrrring. And, IMO, no more "realistic" than any other combat sport.

Chuck Norris wants to avoid those problems, and additionaly he wants to avoid a lot of blood to keep it "family friendly." How can you do that? Well you have to severely limit clinching, and push the fighters to stay on the attack. Hence the short, seperated rounds (it's really two 3 minute fights, rather than 1 fight with split rounds), and the penalties for clinching and running away (aka passivity). Then you pad the hands, hence the 12oz gloves and not the 4oz. You pad the feet, hence the shin/instep guards (they got rid of the booties). And then limit elbows and knees. All of which helps reduce cuts. So you get your action relatively blood free.

It's not a perfect formula by any means. But I like it, and think it can catch on with the more "traditional" Martial Arts crowd. It's also a nice transition for going from point karate to full contact, and I think it is a great way for your average hobbyist to get in some full contact in a "safer" ruleset. I'd love to see McDojos everywhere implement this kind of fighting.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:01pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish Chuck would stop referring to himself as a 6-time world champion. Alll the big karate tournaments where called world championships but where just reqular non-contact karate tournaments. Since he did a few kickboxing movies (ie. A Force of One, etc), people think he was champion like Wallace and Lewis in kickboxing. So he is false advetising himself....

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS. They way the WCL supports female fighters is also way cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 2:05pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hated the WCL. I watched four of the shows and was bored out of my mind. The guys fighting all looked like they came from point karate systems and rarely committed to any punch or kick, they just threw them as fast as they could. This looked more like a bitch slap fight to me than a real stand-up fight. That's pretty much the sum conclusion I drew up, it was a place for TKD'ers and other point-system fighters to claim that they did the real deal too.

To be sure, it's a huge step over the traditional point karate stuff, but it's so far down on the scale from Muay Thai, boxing, San Shou, or other matches which are more exciting to me. (Personal opinion, some may think the multiple rounds are boring because they encourage fighters to save their energy.) Pants, kick shoes, ungodly rule sets, just not my cup of tea.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast