Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can get a standing armtriangle and CANNOT get a takedown from it, you fail at grappling. Miserably.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okies. I will explain this choke. I use it all the time. It is a simple half cross choke. Nothing particularly special. Like most techniques the trick is in the set up. The pictures from my training log are from the Dallas International Judo circa 1995-96.

First of all I am a hip throw guy. I use O Goshi, Harai O Goshi, and Uchimata. I throw a lot of guys like this. I have a few grips I like. Most Judoka know when they are getting set up for one of the SIMPLE throws. Doesn't mean they can stop them - but it definately focuses their attention. THAT IS THE SET UP! They think they are going to be thrown.

Now on to the technique:

First you need to get a high grip. Thumb on the back collar. Right at the spine. Grip hard and shake thier ass around making them worry about the Uchi Mata. In my case I use my RIGHT HAND.

Next I place my LEFT HAND on thier LEFT collar. Deep. Really deep.

There is no choke. You simply have double control. Some Judo referees will penalize you if you keep this grip very long. Luckily you won't have to.

KEY STEP: My right arm swings OVER thier head while keeping the high grip (palm down still). The left hand is on thier opposite collar and you are in position for a great X choke.

Now most people don't really mind the X choke nowadays. They think they can run around and pass your guard or whatever in the time it takes to choke. Honestly X chokes are white belt moves, right? You can nut up and flex your neck for a few seconds and resist long enough to escape.

WRONG. That right arm swinging over the head and immediately being thrust back into the neck is real powerful. You will be suprised.

This guy thought he could get break the grip easily. But I pulled him in real tight for the choke. He then thinks he can get a quick leg grab takedown. Negative. Too late. He tries to break the grip again. Probably should have tapped instead. This was kinda funny.

This technique set up can be used in the guard, standing, sitting. Wherever. Be creative.

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nicely done. Thanks for the explanation. I think I will play around with that tonight.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question, before you bring your right arm over their head are both your arms on their left side?

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 3:42pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oooooooohhhh. NICE! Major props, I like the choke and use it in Newaza but standing is just freaking awsome. Will play around at open session next class. Danke-shen.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Quick question, before you bring your right arm over their head are both your arms on their left side?
    Yes.

I was thinking about my explanation after I posted. The right hand is gripping behind the collar, but your forearm is basically smashing into the left side of thier head. This is how many people set thier Uchimata. People usually try to disengage thier right arm furiously because once you get control of that arm you usually send them over the top with the throw. So as they yank thier arm back thier left lapel is close and exposed. Your left arm goes across the body to grip thier left side lapel really deep. When you loop that right arm over thier head you have to be moving. I usually push/pull and angle off to the side just like I would be doing for the Uchimata.

BTW this technique usually only works ONCE on the person you are doing it to. They get wise real quick. Mainly from the humiliation factor. Having to tap out or pass out while standing is humbling.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    If you can get a standing armtriangle and CANNOT get a takedown from it, you fail at grappling. Miserably.
    QFT :5bullwhip
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12