Posted On:
    9/03/2007 8:45am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleidea
    http://www.charlydmiller.com/RA/restrasphyx01.html

What sort of medical & forensic training have you had? Just curious.

Maybe I should have stayed at Sherdog.:knob:
    Wow...one whole source...impressive, and wrong; I've personally witnessed chokes rendering unconsciousness much faster than 10 seconds. Yeah, maybe you should have stayed over there.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 9:27am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Triangles
    Well this is pretty fucked up...

Suspension IMO
    That comes to about 2 seconds from the time Mazagatti definatively signaled a stop. Not all that bad IMHO.

As others have pointed out, if Sobral stated after the fight "It was all the adrenaline, I was really worked up in this fight. I guess I shouldn't have held it so long", there would be no issue. He wouldn't have even had to say "I'm sorry".

The other factor is that for whatever reason, Sobral is not seen as such a great asset in the UFC. Chuck Liddel could have tapdanced on his corpse without a suspension.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 10:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi gymkata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow...one whole source...impressive, and wrong; I've personally witnessed chokes rendering unconsciousness much faster than 10 seconds. Yeah, maybe you should have stayed over there.
    If you could read you functionally illiterate troglodyte. I provided three seperate sources. And I have witnessed chokes at Judo tournaments rendering folks unconscious in less than 10 seconds. After age 30, even healthy carotid arteries have a small amount of plaque heavy compression of the neck can result in an embolous.
    I am not in favor of banning MMA, chokes, foot stomps, or anything else. However, Bablou was being a fucking 'roided out douche like many of the current MMA greats. Dave Heath was also being a DICK for giving him **** at the weigh in. That still doesnot justify choking someone after the tap. So STFU you piss ignorant pretender.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 10:32am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you could read you functionally illiterate troglodyte. I provided three seperate sources. And I have witnessed chokes at Judo tournaments rendering folks unconscious in less than 10 seconds. After age 30, even healthy carotid arteries have a small amount of plaque heavy compression of the neck can result in an embolous.
    - Ah the RCMP study. This was a good one but was more directed at the Medics that were arriving on scene and had less to do with the actual choke. If you have read that whole study you'll know that the bigger issue was the trauma the neck sustained when the choke was 'slapped' on (quite literally, the officer would be so jacked up on adrenaline that they'd cause blunt force trauma to the neck on the artery) this led to the artery spasming on the way from the scene and was leading to greater injury because no one knew what it was. This has been remedied by teaching LEO to apply chokes (like the 'shoulder hold' from PPCT) in a slow and controlled manner.

That said, there is cell death occurring after three minutes of O2 deprivation.

I am not in favor of banning MMA, chokes, foot stomps, or anything else. However, Bablou was being a fucking 'roided out douche like many of the current MMA greats. Dave Heath was also being a DICK for giving him **** at the weigh in. That still doesnot justify choking someone after the tap. So STFU you piss ignorant pretender.
    - Okay, first off don't call Babalu anything online that you wouldn't be willing to call him in person. I can't imagine it would take me, for example, more than a few phone calls or emails to find him. If you can't be nice then shut your mouth and maybe yes, go back to Sherdog and bod mouth fighters all you want.

Secondly, have you ever fought? I hate this argument but it is applicable here. I have and I don't let go until the ref shoves me off. Massagatti did a shitty job breaking up this fight and it is not the 'worst' level of ignoring a ref in recent memory.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one is disputing this dick move was in any way justified, but Heath wasn't out long enough for any lasting damage by a long shot.

All of the deaths cited in your sources were outside of competitive environments. The chokes were performed by and on people with little experience in them, and often the victims were intoxicated in some way. In over a hundred years of judo competition and practice there have been exactly zero deaths assotiated with shimewaza. Brain damage is also not an injury assotiated with judoka (there's no equivalent of boxing's 'punch drunk' for strangles).

I agree also that Heath's actions, if allegations are true, were out of order, and he should've been punished for bringing the sport into disrepute.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, first off don't call Babalu anything online that you wouldn't be willing to call him in person. I can't imagine it would take me, for example, more than a few phone calls or emails to find him. If you can't be nice then shut your mouth and maybe yes, go back to Sherdog and bod mouth fighters all you want.

Secondly, have you ever fought? I hate this argument but it is applicable here. I have and I don't let go until the ref shoves me off. Massagatti did a shitty job breaking up this fight and it is not the 'worst' level of ignoring a ref in recent memory.
    *yawn* I've fought a little. Go ahead and call the "big" Brazilian brute. I'm sure bumfights has got his number. *covers mouth & teehees*

Moreover, the fight should have been stopped over the cut. The blood could have gotten in either fighters and resulted in momentary blindness allowing someone a moemntary advantage.

And, I would gladly call him asshole in person. What's he gonna do beat me up? :laughing4

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:44pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *yawn* I've fought a little. Go ahead and call the "big" Brazilian brute. I'm sure bumfights has got his number. *covers mouth & teehees*

Moreover, the fight should have been stopped over the cut. The blood could have gotten in either fighters and resulted in momentary blindness allowing someone a moemntary advantage.

And, I would gladly call him asshole in person. What's he gonna do beat me up? :laughing4
    The cut was on the forehead and by the 'rules' it was let go.

If you'd call him that to his face that's fine by me. Wasn't a threat per say more of a suggestion of maintaining some level of etiquette. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone calling you an asshole behind your back and yet not to your face.

If you've fought then you know you don't let go till your stopped.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, I would gladly call him asshole in person. What's he gonna do beat me up?
    Well, recent evidence would suggest that he's not adverse to the idea of beating people up for being disrespectful, so yes he probably would smack you around a bit.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The cut was on the forehead and by the 'rules' it was let go.

If you'd call him that to his face that's fine by me. Wasn't a threat per say more of a suggestion of maintaining some level of etiquette. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone calling you an asshole behind your back and yet not to your face.

If you've fought then you know you don't let go till your stopped.

TKD
    Oh teach me great TKD master, perhaps I can learn teh axe kick or how to fight with my hands at my waiste while hopping like Peter Cottontail.

:evil:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, recent evidence would suggest that he's not adverse to the idea of beating people up for being disrespectful, so yes he probably would smack you around a bit.
    Oh well. The laws of my state have been fashioned so a law bidin' citizen like myself can carry a firearm and they add a nice stand your ground provision.

I doubt calling someone an asshole would justify assault and since I am a proverbial 98 lbs weakling I would have no choice but to defend myself. Even MMA stars are not immune to the laws of physics. :qleft6:
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast