Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 10:09pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still pissed off about the steroids thing.

But really, it's just like any other sport. Baseball anyone?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is ****. That was an awesome performance by Sobral, and Heath didn't get any brain damage. Fucking ***** regulation bullshit.

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 10:28pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    I thought this stemmed from Heath wearing a t-shirt with Sobral's mugshot to the weigh ins?
    there was no truth to it, just a rumor someone started, but got way outta hand

[RETRACTION]
    The original publication of this article included an inaccurate statement that David Heath wore a T-shirt with Sobralís mug shot on it in an effort to get under Sobralís skin. Heath DID NOT wear such a T-shirt. In fact, he was wearing a shirt representing his sponsor Warrior Wear and it had no reference whatsoever to Sobral. MMAWeekly would like to apologize to David Heath and his camp for the error and any unwarranted attention that it reflected upon David Heath.
    SOURCE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 2:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll throw my hat into the ring if anyone cares. I honestly think the biggest factor was the intent. By saying what he said after the fight, Sobral was communicating, "I knew the ref wanted me to stop, I completely disobeyed the rules." Plenty of times fighters are often extremely caught up in the moment and often don't realize the ref is calling for a stop right away, but that was not the case here. I know he did not cause brain damage, but the end doesn't justify the means. He put Heath in real danger. I know Sobral is an expert at what he does and most likely knew the amount of time he could reasonably hold the choke, but regardless what he did was both a betrayal of his contract and horrible for the public image of MMA.

That being said, I think he technically violated his contract by openly disobeying an important rule. I think the purse reduction was justifiable, a suspension is reasonable, and the all-out loss of contract was probably a bit too far. But it's Dana White's perogative, and he made his decision.

Dave

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 4:12am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the gif shown earlier was close to real time, then it looked like Renato kept that choke on for a bit too long.

One other fight that reminds me of this situation is the Martin Kampmann vs. Drew Mcfedries fight. I don't remember which UFC it was, but Kampmann put Mcfedries in an arm triangle, putting Mcfedries to sleep and unable to tap. Herb Dean checked Mcfedries' hand for a response and got none so he attempted to get Kampann to let go. Kampmann kept the choke in for a bit, but not purposefully because it would've been difficult for him to see the ref in relation to his head placement. Renato on the other hand could pretty much see Mazzaggatti (friggin spelling) the whole time.

Maybe White wanted to release him because of his arrest. At least Renato lost to some big names; Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson, Fedor, Jason Lambert (:happy4:)...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 4:50am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sobral got cheated with the contract release. Suspension, though, and monetary witholding, that would have been the best way to deal with it. Also, fining someone the moment they begin a verbal assault (calling Sobral a ************ at weighins) would have fixed this before the match, I think. Every match I've been in, the ref and promoter are VERY clear that verbal assault, intimidation, and the like will be kept clean and to a minimum before a match (no cursing, no slander, but 'psyching' a guy out in the backrooms is acceptable), but will not be tolerated at publicized events (weighins, interviews, or at the show itself). It's a purse deduction, point penalty, or forfeiture offense.

So why wasn't Heath fined and censured for it? Dana likes drama. But, like those who can dish it but can't take it, he is now going to act like Sobral is a bad guy and cut him. Look at the way they edit TUF episodes if you want to know what Dana thrives on. You think it's a coincidence he chooses coaches that hate each other, edits shows to look like fighters hate each other, or brings in Karo Parisyan, who makes fun of the younger Diaz brother right after beating the older one? But holding a choke for 3 seconds is going too far? It's politics, not safety. Fine him, suspend him, cost him purse money and sponsorship cash, but don't push him into retirement or make him search out small venues or K-1 to fight.

poser

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 8:33am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly. Dana knows his redneck meathead fans like the drama, but at the same time he knows that the other half of his audience would rather see people fight in a civilized fashion (lol). So he has to cater to both, which is damn tricky.

This is why I like the IFL better.

:)

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved Nate Diaz's comment about TUF..."I wouldn't recommend it".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 9:59am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty unbelievable to me that Dana would cut sobral like that. . .

There may be stuff going on that we don't know about, after all, that organization is freaking gigantic.

It may have something to do with Babalu's breaking the law but ..

One thing that crossed my mind was.. With Pride not really having any sort of established competition, and under the same handling as the UFC at this point, Dana white really doesn't have any worries about 'losing' fighters to any sort of competition now.. Unless it's K-1 or something, but that's still not MMA, and I still think the UFC has alot more money than they do. Maybe I am over thinking it, but I also read about Arlovski asking for more of a payday than he may be worth (People, including me, don't really care for how he's been fighting lately, and apparently he's asking for more money.) What's dana got to lose? Same way with Sobral, especially since the UFC lightheavyweight division is so stacked right now. I fear he may be trying to get rid of forest griffin, though I know he has alot of fans.. I just don't get that shogun thing ...

Again, that's all "What if what if" thinking, but I'm just throwing it out there.

And yeah, I agree, that type of stuff does not look good at all to people who are looking to make some political case about MMA being some kind of super dangerous spectacle.

If that was Dana's thinking in firing him, I almost don't blame him, as much as I liked Sobral. You really really can't play around with that stuff. just from that little gif earlier in this thread, that's enough evidence right there for some **** head to start some uprising about how MMA should be outlawed. I guess White may have felt like he had to come down real hard, harder than the fans may have wanted to really show people that this kind of thing can't and will not go on. Also, maybe to show other fighters that the drama can really only go so far..

That or Dana likes making an angry face and goin, "YOU'RE FIRED"

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 10:08am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to this:
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8816
    Babalu says he had his eyes closed while choking Heath, wich would explain the delayed reaction somewhat.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast