Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Gracie vs Delucia
    Bah! History answers nothing.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 6:02pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Dana White should get hit by a bus.
    So long as the Bus lets go after Dana taps......

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 6:16pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all fun and games until some Congressman makes it his pet project to crack down on "Human Cock-Fighting." Oh wait, that's already happening. At least Bablu didn't use stem-cells for his training.

Bottom line is that the UFC is the public face of MMA and has to keep it's nose clean. A class act like Randy Couture is easy to sell to the public. But if people hear that choke holds can cause brain damage and that a fighter was taking out a grudge on an opponent in the octagon, that's bad. That gets the attention of the wrong people who may hold sway over the NSAC and other state licensing commisions. Last thing we need are the state and federal governments taking a serious interest in MMA. Especially since next year is an election year.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he has been treated harshly, but just because other people have done it in the past is no excuse. Perhaps the UFC have decided to finally draw a line and put a stop to things like this?

The acid test will be when the next guy does it, if the UFC don't kick him out then Babalu will have a case for being treated unfairly.

poser

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 6:54pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point, Lu Tze. Now the UFC set a ridiculous precedent, so every time a fighter acts up they'll have to kick him out.

It's kind of like how in the U.S. sex offenders spend less time in prison than marijuana dealers, despite the fact that sex crimes are a tad bit worse than selling pot. Fucking precedent.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well this is pretty fucked up...

Suspension IMO

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A suspension for this would be totally justified; possibly an outright release is too much, though in Babalu's case I'm sure his recent arrest, though probably not known to the general public, wouldn't help. If Penn, Mir, or whoever held on that long before then they should have been suspended too, though I guess karma took care of Mir.

Having said that, Mazzagatti looked pretty pathetic in trying to get Babalu to let go. If a fighter holds on after the ref tells him to get it off, which the ref. should immediately after the tap, the ref should be breaking the grip, not giving the fighter a little push like he's trying to wake him up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:02pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    there was a video interview where I believe Penn admitted that he held the choke with malicious intent
    ...and also spent the weeks before the fight telling every interviewer that he was going to ignore the ref and Pulvers' tapping to teach Pulver a lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    in Babalu's case I'm sure his recent arrest, though probably not known to the general public, wouldn't help.
    Good point. However, didn't Penn plead guilty to punching a cop?

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:54pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this stemmed from Heath wearing a t-shirt with Sobral's mugshot to the weigh ins? As far as the human cockfighting, I thought McCain said that in 97 and it was a major reason in the push for unified rules. If that is the case, then the "Washington is just looking for an excuse" argument is blown out of the water.

However, Sobral did need to be made an example of from a PR perspective. He needed to be thrown under the bus to divert attention from the steroid issue. I believe Jeremy Horn this week said in an interview that at least 85% of top guys use performance enhancers. Add to that Jeff Monson's admissions of previous usage and no less than three former UFC champions being known users and you have a PR nightmare. White needs to look in control and, for lack of a better term, draconic. I'm looking forward to seeing Babalu tearing up other promotions for a year or two and then coming back to Vegas and doing well in the UFC.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast