Posted On:
    9/01/2007 5:09am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Babalu Sobral cut from UFC - {Now with VID!!!}

NSAC Withholds Sobral's Win BonusFriday, August 31, 2007
    by Sherdog.com Staff

The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Friday voted unanimously to withhold
    Renato Sobral's (Pictures) $25,000 win bonus following the Brazilian's actions last Saturday during his submission victory over David Heath (Pictures) at UFC 74.

Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the NSAC, stated at Friday's hearing in Las Vegas that he would not seek a suspension against the 31-year-old Rio de Janeiro native, though a formal disciplinary complaint has been filed. Sobral faces additional fines and a suspension pending a review by the commission.

During a preliminary bout at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on Aug. 25, Sobral rendered Heath unconscious after locking the Tulsa, Okla. light heavyweight's neck in an anaconda choke and refusing to acknowledge a tap. Referee Steve Mazzagatti reacted by attempting to forcibly unlock Sobral's arms from the unconscious fighter until the hold was released some three seconds after the initial tap.

Following the fight, Sobral told UFC's Joe Rogan he intentionally held onto the choke because Heath, also 31, called him a "motherf---er" at Friday's weigh-in.

On Thursday the UFC announced in a teleconference with media that it had taken the unprecedented step of releasing Sobral due to his actions inside the octagon.

Appearing in front of the NSAC on Friday with his manager and attorney Richard Wilner, Sobral issued a short apology to Heath, and expressed remorse for hurting mixed martial arts in any way.

So he's gone for refusing to acknowledge the tap it seems. Certainly warranted some kind of penalty but ending his career? Not sure. Pretty low thing to do, no matter how bad you hate the guy but maybe just cutting his purse was enough. Brazilian ego FTL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 7:28am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems as though they are making an example out of him. Zero-tolerance for the sake of the sports as a whole. At least no one will think of trying this from now on.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:33am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is complete bullshit. I've seen several guys hold on to chokes too long and face no punishment whatsoever. I don't know if the bloody nature of this match just made it look a lot worse or what, but this is just ridiculous.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:40am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    I think this is complete bullshit. I've seen several guys hold on to chokes too long and face no punishment whatsoever. I don't know if the bloody nature of this match just made it look a lot worse or what, but this is just ridiculous.
    After watching the video I have to agree. The choke was not held on beyond reasonable, just enough to make him go night night: 2 to 3 seconds after the tap.

poser

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:41am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    It was the deliberate and malicious intent, which he admits.

It's good that they're making an example of someone. Although the guy who called him a ************ at the weigh-in should have gotten a penalty as well.

:)

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bullshit was him not recognizing the tap, and releasing the hold at the ref's request.....there's a lot at stake for mma, right now. The fighters who can't abide by the rules, especially ones like that (respecting the tap) where brain damage/limb breakage can happen, shouldn't be in the game. The UFC didn't end his fighting career, but he sure as hell ended his own UFC career. With lawmakers trying to ban the whole sport, who needs his bullshit? no one does, so though I enjoyed watching his fights, I'd rather him gone, than give some douche in Washington an excuse.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I agree with the consensus that we don't need this kind of **** in order to make the sport more legit, we have to take into consideration the double standard shown in here, not a while ago BJ Penn held a choke on Pulver for a little longer even though the reff try to stop him, and I bet like that are many other examples of that happening. So IMHO I think it was a little harsh to kick his ass out of the UFC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 10:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    Though I agree with the consensus that we don't need this kind of **** in order to make the sport more legit, we have to take into consideration the double standard shown in here, not a while ago BJ Penn held a choke on Pulver for a little longer even though the reff try to stop him, and I bet like that are many other examples of that happening. So IMHO I think it was a little harsh to kick his ass out of the UFC.

Yup.:new_cussi

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 10:09am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at. The fact that it was done with (admitted) malicious intent maybe deserves some form of punshment, but I think nothing more than fines or maybe a suspension. Kicking the guy out is taking it way too far.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

:)

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think BJ Penn, then said he did it because Pulver talked ****. If he had, he'd be setting himself up for the same treatment. Fighters don't always want to stop, that's understandable to most.... but anyone foolish enough to say they meant to hold on, just sucks for the sport.

The UFC did what they felt they had to, after he put himself out on the PA. In a fighting sport, the stakes are higher than most competitions. Refusing to heed the tap, is the most dangerous thing in the sport (the opponent is, by definition, already beaten and relatively defenseless). It was a business decision, and one I agree with.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast