Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi gymkata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA FIghters/Pro Athletes...

I'm a new here. I am sure this will not be well recieved, but facts are facts. I am a fan of MMA, I have trained in Judo for several years, I wrestled in high school, I have flirted with am. boxing, and I hold a black belt in one of shoots of Kenpo/Kempo Karate. I have worked out with gentlemen trying to imitate the Dog Brothers and studied JKD through seminars. I have worked out a half dozen or so MMA gyms, but I have not fought MMA professionally.

After reading some of the comments here I have to ask, do you think the behavior of MMA fighters, which is rapidly coming on par with other pro athletes, is just another symptom of this ridiculous sense of entiltlement bestowed on pro & am athletes. As a father, with a son who wrestles and takes martial arts I am concerned not just with what I read in the news but with what I read here. Some people here seem to have no compunction with stooping to thuggish behavior to get what they want and some of you seem to admonish it!
    http://www.ultimate-fighter.ca/ufcnews.php?id=654
    http://www.loveufc.com/29/lee-murray...d-extradition/
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../24534514.html
    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10265381
    http://ufcmania.com/2007/07/21/video...ight-champion/

These are just a few examples...I found many more in local newspapers and news sources.

BJ Penn and a few others stand up and say "**** you to roiders!" Nevertheless, for every BJ Penn there are 3 0r 4 Baroni's.

This place is about fraud in the Martial Arts correct. Well, isn't juicing one of the biggest frauds? Is a fighter that tough or is it his or her chemical help?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 4:32pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Juicing is wrong. MA is about more than fighting, itís about respect, honor, integrity, etc. People who act like the news stories you linked should be ashamed of themselves.

:5dunce:

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 4:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mentioned Lee Murray...
    Long before he was a UFC/MMA fighter, he was pretty well-known for not being shy of a fight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi gymkata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm concerned not just as MA but as a father. My son is a huge fan of MMA and I see these guys acting like this and I think WTFH. I have to struggle with his seeing MMA fighters act like dicks and getting away with it.
    Of course it's not just MMA, boxing, football, baseball, and basketball have similar problems and it is not limited to "just a few bad apples." I was working the door at a club in college and had to keep to division 1 football players out of a club because they were underage.

I got three stitches in my eye for doing my fucking job. And I tried to be nice and explain to them that they were underage and that there was nothing I could do. The bigger of the two doe popped me. One of them was VP of the university's fellowship of Christian athletes.
    When the bar owner filed charges the university bailed them out and the coach of the team told me, "to watch my step." I took that as a threat, maybe I'm wrong but the majority of athletes are exalted like gods and are little more than thugs. IMHO

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 11:16pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like a typical football movie, with the cool, bad ass jocks running the show

shitty situation, I'm assuming u quit the job after that incident

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    You mentioned Lee Murray...
    Long before he was a UFC/MMA fighter, he was pretty well-known for not being shy of a fight.

or robbing a bank, lol

Lee is one of the most badass motherfuckers alive

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 1:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah lol, Lee is awesome. There's a man who isn't content with his lot in life.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 7:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wake up guys, the world is filled with disonerable people. money and fame dont change you, it just exposes who you realy are

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 10:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taiji, Chang Moo Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Lopan. People are notorious assholes, especially people we think of as heroes and role models. It is your responsibility as a father to explain to your kid why his favorite athlete is such a dick, cheater, dog fighter, drug user, wife-beater, etc. Better yet, teach him that his role models are people too and that people make mistakes, and when they make mistakes they have to suffer the consequences... though that last part is idealistic, some athletes these days are reaping what they sow, hopefully the trend will continue.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 10:14am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So has Lee Murray gone to trial yet?

Edit - Nevermind, apparently, he is still in Morocco avoiding extradition.
    Last edited by SpringHeeledJack; 9/04/2007 10:19am at .

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast