Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 5:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Christopher Gerlitz and MAFC in Calgary, Canada

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this guy. It looks like he pretty much wrote his own Wikipedia page for "Mo Woye Fat Kung Fu" (or maybe one of his students did), he sued a guy for whiplash and won $100 000 after his car was hit from behind at 5 kilometers an hour, and he claims to have "spent many years overseas", bringing back "Mo Woye Fat Kung Fu" to Canada.

I'm not saying he's not legit, but I am looking for a place to train here and I don't know much about him. Does anyone know what this guy's deal is? Do you have any experience with him? I couldn't find any info on him or his school on Bullshido so I'm postin' here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 6:16pm

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ?????
    Can you please provide some references, links, websites etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 11:20pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://calgaryfitness.org/default.html

From reading the site looks like just a glorified Tae Bo gym....

Our newest and most exciting program here at MAFC. This one of a kind workout is 3 workouts in 1.

The class starts out by warming the body up using the routines and techniqes that are part of the Chinese System of Energy Flow called; Qi Qong or Chi Kung. Other movements contained in the ever popular , Tai Chi Training are also used and in no time the body is ready to go. After getting the body's energy flowing the pace is stepped up and the Martial Arts Workout begins.

Punches, Kicks and Various Combinations are used to get the heart pumping and elevate the Cardio Conditioning of the participant. The movements are explained in detail so even the newest beginner can have a great workout. After lots of sweat pouring reps andMartial Arts Yells ( Kia) you are then ready for part 3.

In the final component of this workout the focus is on the spiritual, meditative state of the mind and body. As our heartrate comes down we concentrate on our breathing and body awareness. Any number of Meditation Techniques are used to relax, clear the mind and remove energy blocks in the body. Chakra work on the body's 7 Main Energy Centres is also used.

Also offers a bunch of Cardio kick boxing and such.

No history on where this guy trained or who he was trained by.

may be a good place to get in shape but so far nothing pointing to quality self defense or such.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 8:41am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the accident award is true:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...8dd75a6&k=9620

But the accident appears to have been about 6 years ago, so he is probably completely recovered by now. Canadian judges are very stingy with awarding damages and the article says that most of the money was for lost wages.

Something rings a bell about this guy, I'll have to do some research. We should start with an email to him asking what he does though.

To the OP: what are you looking for in a Martial Art?
    Last edited by Askari; 9/01/2007 9:04am at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 12:52pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in CowTown. Perchance I can find the motivation to poke my head in should there be a need.

TKD

PS - Would that earn me a special Bully Badge?

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 1:34pm

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From The Calgary Herald Oct 1, 1996

They are two fiercely proud martial artists who would crawl on broken glass to defend their honor and reputation.

Mike Miles and Christopher Gerlitz have never been formally introduced, but they want to become better acquainted -- by exchanging bone-rattling punches and flying kicks in a ring.

For now, the sparring over an alleged decade-old confrontation that may or may not have taken place is done from a distance of seven city blocks.

On 11th Avenue S.W., Miles, who sells himself as the two-time world pro kickboxing champion, sneers and clenches a fist while discussing his challenge to Gerlitz, a man he barely knows.

In the cluttered office of his Mike Miles National Kickboxing Corporation, Miles is surrounded by numerous trophies and plaques commemorating his 29 years as a competitor and instructor.

But, at 38, he yearns for at least one more day in the sun.

``He doesn't have the guts to fight me,'' the fighting trim Miles bitterly taunts his counterpart.

Down the street on 10th Avenue, Gerlitz is sporting a black belt and a self-assertive grin at his club, the Martial Fitness Centre.

``I'll go with him,'' calmly counter-punches the barrel-chested 30-year-old. ``He's pushing someone who won't take it. The buck stops here.''

The dispute stems from an alleged confrontation between the two about 10 years ago. Miles says that, if Gerlitz doesn't meet him in the ring, he plans to proceed with a lawsuit.

Miles alleges Gerlitz has been telling people in martial-arts circles that he knocked out or knocked down Miles in the alleged confrontation.

Fighting Words

In fact, Miles says the alleged confrontation never even took place and recently signed a statutory declaration stating that the allegation he was defeated by Gerlitz is false and entirely without merit.

``Does this guy think I'm punch drunk because I'm a fighter?'' says Miles. ``I wouldn't forget something like that. Well, he's got his chance now. I invite him to try and knock me out.''

``If he chooses not to remember, fine,'' counters Gerlitz.

Gerlitz alleges he ``knocked down'' Miles at the latter's dojo 10 years ago in a dispute involving a third party.

In June, Miles ended a two-year retirement and has since been in rigorous training for a proposed showdown with Gerlitz in an eight-round kickboxing duel using Japanese rules which allow leg kicks.

Miles has aggressively pursued a match, but the two have sparred over dates, locations, choice of charities, fight officials and rules. Miles initiated the challenge in June by confronting Gerlitz face-to-face at the latter's dojo.

Miles's latest proposal is for a November duel at the 700-seat Sarcee Seven Chiefs Sportsplex on the Tsuu T'ina Reserve beyond the jurisdiction of the Calgary Boxing and Wrestling Commission.

Setting a Deadline

He has set an Oct. 7 deadline for contracts to be signed. But he says booking problems at the Sportsplex may result in moving the proposed fight to Balzac or High River.

Gerlitz says he may not be able to fight until next year due to commitments at his new fitness-centre location.

``I want this fight in a central location where everyone could see it, everyone in martial arts,'' said Gerlitz.

But Calgary Boxing and Wrestling Commission chairman Laurie Mills adamantly rules out such a match within city limits because ``it sounds like a revenge kind of thing.''

Although neither has competed in the past two years, the martial-arts community is buzzing over the proposed duel.

The 177-pound Miles, who lists his record at 61-6-1, gives away eight years and 43 pounds to his six-foot, 220-pound foe.

Gerlitz holds high-level black belts in kenpo karate and tae kwon-do and a high-level sash in kung-fu. In recent years, he has competed in major events in the Orient, including the International full-contact kung-fu championships and the World Karate Games.

Both are Calgary natives who gravitated towards martial arts in their youth to deal with school-yard bullies.

``This is the old, traditional way that people like Bill Wallace (a martial-arts master) settle disputes,'' says Miles. ``You go to a dojo and put your honor at stake in an exchange of techniques.

``I know this is stupid and maybe I should practise a little more humility, but pride makes people do stupid things. You want to prove a point to uphold your reputation and honor.''

``I consider Mike Miles a bully,'' says Gerlitz. ``If I don't fight him, people will say, `he wouldn't fight Mike Miles. He's a sissy.' ''

``There's always somebody hanging on your coat-tails,'' quips Miles. ``Gerlitz will be yacking until the day he dies. I'm not a young man. I don't want him coming after me when I'm 60. If I don't shut him up, he'll be sitting on my coat-tails for the rest of my life.''

With or without Gerlitz, Miles's comeback is full steam ahead. Originally, he tried to book Gerlitz for Sunday's card at Seven Chiefs Sportsplex but, when it couldn't be arranged, he opted to fight American Dwight Lawrence on that day in what is being billed as a world pro light-heavyweight Muay Thai title match.

Proceeds from the card will go to Victims of Violence, a children's charity.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    From The Calgary Herald Oct 1, 1996

The dispute stems from an alleged confrontation between the two about 10 years ago. Miles says that, if Gerlitz doesn't meet him in the ring, he plans to proceed with a lawsuit.

Miles alleges Gerlitz has been telling people in martial-arts circles that he knocked out or knocked down Miles in the alleged confrontation.
    AndrewA, with the Research-Jitsu Black Belt once again.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 3:10pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** when those two are done jerking each other off can we talk about Martial Arts please?

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 7:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    **** when those two are done jerking each other off can we talk about Martial Arts please?
    Just because you have a user name that includes TKD, you think you can lull people into this false sense of security. Your tricks wont work on me, I wont suddenly call Gong Sau and lie in wait with a 2X4 behind a tree.

Though it was an early-in-life error in judgement that forced you to train in the art with more chicks.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I follow Rickson's advice.

"My best self defense tool is my Rueger." (Can't remember the source exactly but I think it was a Tatame a few years back)

Anywho. I've sent in an email to these guys looking for info. Will relate what I find out.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast