Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 4:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Zero

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Diet

was wondering how diet effects your performance when it comes to grappling and mixed martial arts. What would a good diet be? Right now my diet consists of lean meats (turkey, chicken and tuna), wheat, fruits and veggies.
    What kinds of foods are to be avoided and what kinds of foods are recommended?

poser

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 4:59pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your diet makes a huge difference. Even in people with sedentary lifestyles, a proper diet will make a world of difference. I know this firsthand.

The modern theory is that eating 4-5 small meals a day will keep your metabolism high while still providing enough nutrition. Apparently staying on a consistent eating schedule helps as well, although I haven't delved into my own diet enough to confirm or deny this.

According to T-Nation, you should aim for between 10 and 15 servings of fruits (not fruit juice. legit, fresh fruit.) and vegetables a day if you're reasonably active (i.e. 5-7.5 cups of fruit). With the exception of your fruit intake, high-glycemic carbs like white bread should be avoided, and replaced with complex carbs such as those in whole grains. Fat balance is also important. Saturated fats, while necessary, should be avoided as a general rule. Sources of "good" fats include fish oil, nuts, and certain oils. Note that cooking food can alter its nutritional content: steaming vegetables causes nutrients to drain out into the water, and the fat balance in oils change when heated.

Basically, eat a hearty breakfast (MUY IMPORTANTE), don't snack between meals because "snack foods" tend to be bad for you (if you're eating 5 meals a day you won't want to anyway), and make sure that each meal is balanced. It takes a lot more discipline than you'd think. The easiest way to do it is to just throw out all the junk food in your house so you're not tempted.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.