1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 10:50am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    That depends 100% on the individual.
    - I'd say this more depends on the person's team. Some teams won't let you fight till you're almost ready for a Pro fight whereas other team believe in Ring Time. Just hope you aren't the guy getting 'ring time' against a guy who's ready to turn pro.....

Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    Generally it's amateurs who don't cut weight, or cut very little. Pretty much all the pros cut, so I don't see why this caveat would affect anything.
    - A few years ago this would have been an accurate statement but I was just cornering a guy in his first ammy fight (note: we're the team that makes guys wait) and 99% of the guys where cutting 10+ lbs for their fights.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    minimal 2 years IMO....

An American Hero!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 11:47pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever you feel like it is the correct answer.

6 months is the minimum in my opinion with no prior training. The only thing is you just have to train hard and find someone who is around your experience too. Remember, when you join a sport like wrestling in high school, they don't train your for 2 years and then let you wrestle. You train for 2-3 months then the meets start.

Its just a matter of finding similar skilled guys and getting in good condition.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186

6 months is the minimum in my opinion with no prior training. The only thing is you just have to train hard and find someone who is around your experience too. Remember, when you join a sport like wrestling in high school, they don't train your for 2 years and then let you wrestle. You train for 2-3 months then the meets start.

Its just a matter of finding similar skilled guys and getting in good condition.

if you're talking about Amatuer then that's fine. It's good to get as much experience as possible as soon as possible. I agree.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 3:14am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    - A few years ago this would have been an accurate statement but I was just cornering a guy in his first ammy fight (note: we're the team that makes guys wait) and 99% of the guys where cutting 10+ lbs for their fights.

TKD
    Yeah, I know most amateurs cut weight too. I was just saying that practically all pros cut and if you're going to run into anyone fighting that doesn't cut, it will most likely be an amateur.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 6:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Physical Therapy 4 Ankle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the responses.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 8:51am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a Muay Thai fight I would say a year of straight Muay Thai, witht he additional six weekes before the fight. If it is MMA I would say 1 to 1 1/2 years, with the six weeks trainnig for that opponent...

Stillness is death

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 2:36am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally make my guys wait a year if they came to me to train to fight...even if they have prior training. But, it all depends. If they have lots of prior training, but no prior fights (grappling, MT, kickboxing, whatever), they wait and work their way up with some sambo, grappling, KB, combat sambo, events first. If they have prior fights and come to our gym with experience, it is when I feel they are ready and can offer up a solid fight with a real chance of winning.

IMO, too many people jump into the cage/ring too soon. Too many people want to be a fighter without putting in the time and sweat it takes. Likewise, there are too many coaches who just want to say they put guys in the cage and do so before the fighter is ready. I have seen guys with only 6 months training getting into the cage and having their ass handed to them. This happens at just about every amateur show I go to. Every amateur show I go to I end up thinking to myself about at least half of the fighters..."who is this guy's coach and why is he in a cage? He is nowhere near ready".

I will not put a guy in the cage until he has demonstrated solid skills and I am confident in him and his ability to win and/or adequately defend himself. I will never put a guy in the cage just to "get experience". It served no benefit IMO.

My advice is not to rush it. Talk to your coach. Set a game plan and work towards it patiently.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujitsudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is the best advice, I would say, although I have never been in a fight myself.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 8:05pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186

I'd say that's a pretty safe spot to go off of, as when I was in STL, my boxing coach refused to even let me spar until I'd been there 6 months.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast