Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 12:57pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'm a little late to the party. I searched the forums and can't pin down where this whole Wing Chun "anti-grapple" meme started up. I've recently read three books about Wing Chun from different time periods ('60s, '80s, '00s) and nowhere did I find any mention of grappling, "anti-grappling", or anything much having to do with "grappling." I don't consider that a flaw in the system. You don't see much mention of grappling in Muay Thai, Boxing, or Savate books either. I'm probably taking it all a little too seriously. But can someone please point me to a resource where I can get unbiased, non-snarky information on Wing Chun?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because there is no such thing as the anti-grapple. It surfaced in the mid to late 90's AFTER GJJ and the UFC slapped everyone in the face.

That is why you can't find it in a book it didn't exist. Are there take downs and sweeps in CMA? Yes. WC is not a ground grappling art. Notice the careful use of phrase.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford
    What style do you currently train?
    What style of Wing Chun do they practice?
    You would be surprised how effective a chunner can be in a clinch...
    Fixed that for you, Bradford.

And please,

use normal lettering,

and

check your spelling.

Your post stands out in this thread for not the good reasons...
    The icon linking to your school review is not working either...

Also, visit Newbietown and introduce yourself, if you don't mind.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    That's because there is no such thing as the anti-grapple. It surfaced in the mid to late 90's AFTER GJJ and the UFC slapped everyone in the face.

That is why you can't find it in a book it didn't exist. Are there take downs and sweeps in CMA? Yes. WC is not a ground grappling art. Notice the careful use of phrase.
    I appreciate the response. I understand your point. I guess my question is "Who said that?" Since neither grappling nor full-contact fighting were invented in 1993 I assume that if the style had those techniques they would be mentioned somewhere. I have a book on Wing Chun written in 2002 so I assume the author was at least somewhat aware of the existence of the Gracies and MMA. There is no mention of the style having superior grappling defense or even being ideal for MMA competition. Seems to me so far that the style is designed to end street fights as quickly as possible with things like throat strikes and finger jabs to the eyes. No, I'm not arguing that it's "too deadly" for the ring. But since there are so few techniques eliminating those does hamstring the style.

I apologize if I'm belaboring a point no one really cares to discuss. I've just read so many derisive Wing Chun screeds that I've decided to do the research and make an informed opinion. Can someone please provide me with a respected or certifiable book, website, or school that claims to teach "anti-grapple", "the REAL Wing Chun" or techniques "too deadly for the UFC"? I'm trying to keep this as academic as possible so please no links to posts by random trolls, internet tough guys, or bitter ex-students looking to settle a score. For some reason I've decided I care about this so my first step is to separate the truth from the numerous strawmen and red herrings I see paraded around these forums. I appreciate it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asking questions is what this forum is for IMO.

I'll see what I can dig up it'll take me awhile but I'll get you some info.

I doubt we can pinpoint who coined the phrase.

Oh and the use of phrase wasn't directed at you. I have had enough of semantics battles with chunners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really do appreciate any info you could provide

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The chun anti grapple as I know it was invented by Boztepe and EBMAS. You can look some of it up on youtube. Basically elbow strikes to the spine against the shoot, eye gouge as a mount defense, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 4:24pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still want to see how it goes when he meets the chunners, and spars them.

I'm wondering how things turn out for him.

And, if he indeed uses any information in this thread to counter the chun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 5:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    The chun anti grapple as I know it was invented by Boztepe and EBMAS. You can look some of it up on youtube. Basically elbow strikes to the spine against the shoot, eye gouge as a mount defense, etc.
    From the EBMAS Website (http://www.ebmas.net/europa/home.php)

"WT is the smartest self-defense system ever thought of by humankind"

Oy vey...

I was under the impression that the whole "anti-grapple" thing was supposed to be the Wing Chun silver bullet against a BJJ guy in a sport-fight situation. I'm kind of disappointed that it's eye-gouging and spine-striking. I don't know much about WC and that's what I would do in a street fight.

Since it appears that the majority of this site is dedicated to Sifu Emin masturbatory aides and includes about a half-dozen other Bullshido red flags I will thank you kindly for bringing it to my attention, take the information contained under advisement, and walk away with a better understanding of why people mock Wing Chun. I, however remain undaunted in my quest...

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 7:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair the anti-grapple is a specific chun name. It exists in many arts. I studied a shaolin derivative, chun, kempo, and a Korean art. Many of the crappling techniques are in these systems. The exact crap that is spewed from chun teachers is spewed by other styles of kung fu minus the name.
Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast