Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is why ChiSao sucks.

A friend of mine who is a JKD practitioner, Sean "Big Sean" Madigan, while in one of his more ornery moods, once said to me that a lot of the JKD world is about taking ideas, concepts, and drills from other styles, then proceeding to **** it up beyond all recognition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjhQ-0-uuFw

The above video says nothing whatsoever as to the two persons' martial abilities and whether they can express such martial skill and actually fight. However, there is so much wrong with the above video as an expression of ChiSao I can't get over the WTF factor to dissect it. If they think they are doing ChiSao, I say THEY CLEARLY ARE NOT. If this is their ChiSao, their use of the drill is an empty shell of a training method.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 8/29/2007 12:08pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 12:26pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are these two guys from a JKD school? It's interesting you bring that up because the whole MO of the Bruce Lee Foundation recently started up by Linda and Shannon Lee is to try to combat the idea that JKD just means throwing every style in a blender and hoping for the best. There's a pretty interesting book on the subject called "The Straight Lead" written by Teri Tom of the foundation. What was most enlightening about it is that Lee, who is so closely associated with Chinese kung fu in most people's minds, got much of his inspiration from western boxing and fencing. But I digress...

Tom would you mind posting a video of what you believe to be effective chi siao? I don't mean that as a challenge, but rather I'm just getting my feet wet with Wing Chun and cannot yet tell the difference between the good and the bad. Would you consider "good" chi siao to be simply a matter of sparring? Or is there a better way of "drilling" the technique that is displayed here?

poser

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:04pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, as a contrast, other Chi Sao I've seen was what can only bee described as a dynamic, flowing hand dance.

This just looks fucking weird.

But I know nothing about teh chun so who am I to judge?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Calling that crap is an insult to crap. What's with the larger guy's shaking hands?

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    ...there is so much wrong with the above video as an expression of ChiSao I can't get over the WTF factor to dissect it. If they think they are doing ChiSao, I say THEY CLEARLY ARE NOT. If this is their ChiSao, their use of the drill is an empty shell of a training method.
    Thank you, Tom.

For ruining my evening.

Where's the nearest social service to help that abused kid?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist
    ...I'm just getting my feet wet with Wing Chun and cannot yet tell the difference between the good and the bad. Would you consider "good" chi siao to be simply a matter of sparring? Or is there a better way of "drilling" the technique that is displayed here?
    The thing in the video is to chi sau as sitting in your bathtub is compared to olympic swimming. Both have you and the water. Period.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:37pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    The thing in the video is to chi sau as sitting in your bathtub is compared to olympic swimming. Both have you and the water. Period.
    Wow, Tonuzaba, that was deep.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    The above video says nothing whatsoever as to the two persons' martial abilities and whether they can express such martial skill and actually fight.
    If pretending to beat up a ten year old is a serious part of your training regime, I'd say it's safe to make some assumptions.

On the plus side, it looks like the guy on the left is Eric Freeman, and that can only mean one thing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:54pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why slap when you can punch? That is something I don't understand. So much energy is wasted playing patty cakes.

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 3:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom, that was criminally bad. Poor form, poor power generation. I've also never seen the shaking hands thing, must be the release of too much power.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast