Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a Bushmaster that I'm happy with. I've also heard good things about Colts.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had an Olympic Arms that was a POS.

Be an original and get an AK-74 5.45mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beretta Cx4 Storm or M&P 15...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GuiltySpark, yeah.

Southpaw, what model Bushmaster? They look nice.

SFGOON, for what reasons would you recommend the AK-74?

Teddy, they look alright, I'll have to look into those too.
    Last edited by Melkolmr; 8/29/2007 3:12pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody's ever brought it up before. I've never used one myself, but would guess that they combine the best of both the AR-15 and the AK-47 with the exception of range and stopping power.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkolmr
    It's very much a just-in-case thing.
    I fired an AR-15 last week and it was great.

However, for self-defence I would have to say Glock 21. Leave it loaded with .45ACP and tucked away (assuming you don't have kids) and there's no need to worry about a safety to release in times of excitement.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster. Man, I'm not sure who to buy from or what features to get. I don't really want anything too extravagant, especially because I have really limited experience. For starters, what barrel length should I get? I am well aware of the benefits of a shorter, carbine barrel, but are sub-1 MOA groups possible with that?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SKS,
    Accurate, cheap, solid as a rock, reliable, easy to take care of, nice round with great stopping power

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another vote for the AR-15 platform.

Colt rifles are nice, but I actually prefer Bushmaster's offerings. The reason being, is that I've had much better customer service from Bushmaster than Colt.

Right now, I have their no-frills XM15-E2S 16" carbine (A2 top), and it shoots great with Winchester 55 grain FMJ ammo (fragments in soft tissue). 800-1000 gets you a very nice Bushmaster rifle, and my next purchase will be a Bushmaster M4 (carbine, folding stock, 14.5" barrel + 2" permanently welded muzzle brake).

Magazines have always been plentiful, as I was still able to buy USGI 20 and 30 rounders for 20 bucks each (tops), despite the stupid Assault Weapons Ban back then.

The AR-15 platform is not too complex. Anyone who reads the manual should be able to do a thorough dissassembly-reassembly in a reasonable time.

I strongly urge you to get Kuleck and McKee's books regarding the AR15 platform.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Excellent detail, and it will teach you everything you need to know about the tried and true AR15.

They also make exceptionally nife rifles, by the way...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may also want to consider a Ruger MINI-14...You can get them in the same caliber as an AR-15, .223 or 5.56 NATO as they are commonly referred to. Back in the day you could buy them at Wal-Mart for around $550-$600...They are also known as "Ranch Rifles" for the pesky vermin that a rancher may encounter. You can also accessorize a MINI-14 with different stocks, barrels and clips.

Good Luck in your search !!!

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last