Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 8:30am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I can't front. The old UFCs were the best ones ever. I miss the style vs. style placards, the different outfits, the ugly ring girls, the surprise moves that noone had seen or understood before, the clueless commentators, the endless slew of slow realizations followed by subsequent adjustments to the rules, the mix of excellent fighters and clueless fools, the improvising of terminology to describe what was happening, the ignorance, the comedy, and the low budget-ness of it all.

Watching the UFC today is watching a sleek and evolved sport. Yeah it's great, but everything is known. Watching the old **** is seeing a scenario we'd only seen in video games and movies come to life. And noone knowing what was going to happen. Especially when you watch the old videos nowadays and know where everything is headed.

I wouldn't even call the old UFCs a sport, hell, some of the matches were not even competitive while others were inanne. But it was definitly a form of entertainment we'll never be able to recreate sincerely. In other words, the old UFCs were the best ones ever but I never wanna see that **** again.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 8:44am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the best moments were the sumo wrestler getting his teeth knocked out and the 40-minute-going-on-forever Shamrock v. Gracie match.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little birdie told me there's a torrent out there for UFC 1-7. I didn't use it, mind. That's illegal.

But yeah, I love the old ones. Gerard Gordeau dealing a quick dose of reality to Teila Tuli's face, seeing a boxer WITH ONE GLOVE ON(!) get double-legged, nobody (especially not the crowd, chanting "Bullshit! Bullshit!") understanding what a submission was, Royce going to Disneylaaand, Pat Smith virtually inventing the ground and pound on Scott Morris' face, Fred Ettish and his Fetal Fighting System, the thumping echoes of Remcoe Pardoel's elbows on Orlando Weit's head, a ninja winning UFC 3, Kimo and his cross, Random Task-er..Joe Son getting punched in the balls by Keith Hackney, Royce submitting a huge wrestler from his back after 15 minutes against the fence, Tank Abbott, the UFC's first bad boy, punching out and then mocking his opponents, Marco Ruas adding foot-stamping to the MMA arsenal....certainly there is much to enjoy.

But the best part? Bill Wallace belching during the UFC 1 introduction and then fucking up the name, calling it the "Ultimate Fighting Challenge".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:16am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAHAha those were all great moments. But to me the two best moments ever:

1) The commentator complaining the fight was boring, everybody saying Royce couldn't win, and finally the commentator saying "he's got nothing, nope, there's nothing there" as Royce is tightening the triangle around Dan Severn. Dan taps & Jim Brown flips out: "DONT YOU EVER SAY THAT ABOUT A GRAPPLER!"

2) Oleg Taktarov submitting Tank then collapsing and getting carried out in a stretcher. Seriously I almost cried. Never surrender...

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love watching the early ones...the dipshit announcing in the first one is the only thing I would change.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:41am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I love watching the early ones...the dipshit announcing in the first one is the only thing I would change.
    god your avatar is so disturbing... freakin indiana... you're probably up around gary too

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my favorite classic fights was the final match at UFC 7: Marco Ruas (no relation to Shogun Rua) vs Paul Varelans. Ruas was very well-rounded for his time, having both excellent striking and ground skills. The announcer commented over and over how Ruas had once fought Rickson Gracie to a draw (an increadibly huge deal at the time). Varelans was a big giant ox, with plenty of muscle but little technique.

During the match, Ruas was the more dominant of the two, landing plenty of good strikes and even taking Varelans down and attempting a few submissions. Throughout the entire match, Ruas landed ever-more-frequent leg kicks to Varelans's outer left thigh, which Varelans had absolutely no idea how to block. Toward the end of the match, Ruas's kicks become more frequent, with the camera getting a closeup of Varelans's thigh whenever Ruas lands a hard one. After an exceptionally hard kick, Varelans goes to his knees and is quickly floored with a haymaker from Ruas.

Awesome stuff that you'd only see in the early UFCs.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AbeVargas
    After an exceptionally hard kick, Varelans goes to his knees and is quickly floored with a haymaker from Ruas.

Awesome stuff that you'd only see in the early UFCs.
    BULLSHIT! How dare you forget about Bas!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzX_1Zcvcs
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by h_sh_m
    Sorry I can't front. The old UFCs were the best ones ever. I miss the style vs. style placards, the different outfits, the ugly ring girls, the surprise moves that noone had seen or understood before, the clueless commentators, the endless slew of slow realizations followed by subsequent adjustments to the rules, the mix of excellent fighters and clueless fools, the improvising of terminology to describe what was happening, the ignorance, the comedy, and the low budget-ness of it all.

Watching the UFC today is watching a sleek and evolved sport. Yeah it's great, but everything is known. Watching the old **** is seeing a scenario we'd only seen in video games and movies come to life. And noone knowing what was going to happen. Especially when you watch the old videos nowadays and know where everything is headed.

I wouldn't even call the old UFCs a sport, hell, some of the matches were not even competitive while others were inanne. But it was definitly a form of entertainment we'll never be able to recreate sincerely. In other words, the old UFCs were the best ones ever but I never wanna see that **** again.
    That made me laugh so much! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 11:23am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The older ones were very much not a sport. It was a spectacle, plain and simple. It used to be almost a guilty pleasure, like pro-wrestling. Nowadays, it still has its detractors who cling to the "human cockfighting" party line, but even they're dwindling.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast