228216 Bullies, 4624 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artard
    So while we're on this subject, how do I get amazing Ryan Hall-esque flexibility? I assume the first step is to stretch regularly separately from training but what kinds of stretches/exercises are good to get awesome lower body flexibility (my upper body is already pretty flexible so I'd like to focus on getting my hips/legs up to par). I'd join a Yoga or pilates class, as we have plenty of those in Boulder, but my schedule is already full and I need something I can do on my own time.
    Yup, Eddie's book is the way to go as well as Bob Anderson's Stretching book. Lots of stretches broken down into detail, along with how to and how NOT to do the stretch. It also contains several routines you can do depending on the type of sport and/or activity you do. There are even stretching routines you can do while sitting at a desk, talking on the phone, watching tv, etc, etc, etc.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    9/08/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Irvin's marketing methods put most mcdojos to shame. He needs to get hit by a bus.
    -Rolling with him is like getting hit by a bus...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 3:41am

Style: BJJ, TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought the Game Plan, and it has helped a lot for it's intended purpose, but the Pilates is a bit high for me. My instructor just got back from Irvin's place between going to Hilo with BJ and Charuto for a week and the Mundials and I was hoping he would have some good juicy info about Loyd's hype programs, but he just said he was there for some good hard training.
    I have Thom Kurz's Streching Scientifically book, but was wondering what you guys would recommend. When I work on my legs for a while I can get my hamstrings stretched out pretty well, but have problems with opening my hips and lateral bent leg knee flexion increases.
    I have Eddie Bravo's old book, and the new one sounds like it would be a good start but are the any other reccomendations or undiluted Pilates DVDs you know of?
    thx

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 3:55am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a side note, but to anyone interested in the "Grappling Game Plan" you might want to try "Total Mind Body Training: A Guide to Peak Athlectic Performance" by Jacob H. Jordan, M.D.

I have just started reading it and it reminds me alot of the Grappling Game Plan. Similar strategies and exercises, but for alot less. It only cost me $10! Compare that to Lloyds product which can cost anywhere from $70 to $199.

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 6:50am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -Rolling with him is like getting hit by a bus...
    I finally met the guy awhile back. He's a lot bigger than I realized.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Buzz
    I have Thom Kurz's Streching Scientifically book, but was wondering what you guys would recommend. When I work on my legs for a while I can get my hamstrings stretched out pretty well, but have problems with opening my hips and lateral bent leg knee flexion increases.
    I have Eddie Bravo's old book, and the new one sounds like it would be a good start but are the any other reccomendations or undiluted Pilates DVDs you know of?
    thx
    Eddie's new book has a nice sequence of stretches. Very fucking challenging, but gold nonetheless.

For videos, I'd recommend Karen Voigh's dvds. She has a good mix of yoga and pilates. Stay away from Ashtanga videos. They are good, but Ashtanga is hard core (for lack of a better term). It will make you strong and flexible, but you can easily **** yourself up without proper instruction.

Thing that helped me with my hips and hamstrings was actual Bikram Yoga classes. I had yoga videos already, but it wasn't until I actually did yoga with an instructor that I could actually understand the exercises in those videos. If you are interested in getting started with hip flexibility, try going to a Bikram/Hot or Iyengar yoga class. 2-3 weeks of it, 2-3 classes a week will do wonders to your hips.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what, everyone is always so quick to disregard Lloyd's **** because he comes across as a hustler even though he's produced a considerable amount of legitimate Champs, but I was checking out some of the "Pilates for Grapples" **** on youtube, and it looks like he has Ryan Hall running the program, and it was pretty impressive.

Here's a couple video's of Dr. Ryanangles "Pilates for Grapplers" that display some interesting D'Arce/Brabo Counter-Attacks that work great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al13E_EL9w4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1CC3kHc0BQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SboYwjOBw44

it actually got me a little interested... even though Irviin may possibly be the closest thing to a McDojo in BJJ, and I'm already abnormally flexible.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 9/22/2007 6:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 10:25am

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Eddie's new book has a nice sequence of stretches. Very fucking challenging, but gold nonetheless.

For videos, I'd recommend Karen Voigh's dvds. She has a good mix of yoga and pilates. Stay away from Ashtanga videos. They are good, but Ashtanga is hard core (for lack of a better term). It will make you strong and flexible, but you can easily **** yourself up without proper instruction.

Thing that helped me with my hips and hamstrings was actual Bikram Yoga classes. I had yoga videos already, but it wasn't until I actually did yoga with an instructor that I could actually understand the exercises in those videos. If you are interested in getting started with hip flexibility, try going to a Bikram/Hot or Iyengar yoga class. 2-3 weeks of it, 2-3 classes a week will do wonders to your hips.
    Very good point (as always from you) I did tapes and even the Namaste Yoga on the fit tv channel and didn't really start getting benefits until I started going to a Vinyasana yoga class. Unfortunately I have only been able to go once a week but the tapes and tivo'd copies of the show on the fit tv are a good supplement.

Also once you've done a few classes and have an idea of what to do, you can incorporate yoga poses into a series that are a good warm up as well as stretching.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12