Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 10:06pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pilates for Grapplers by Lloyd Irvin

So I got an email from Lloyd Irvin pushing his new flexibilty system and I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or has had any experiance with it. I have the Game Plan, which (although helpfull )was really over rated. Is this "mutant flexibility" stuff for real or would i be better off just buying a book on yoga?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Irvin is massively overrated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 6:37am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    but his marketing machine is truly a thing of wonder.

I was intrigued by the Pilates for Grapplers idea. Then I saw the price tag - what is it, close to $200?

You can find out about Pilates damn near anywhere. I'm guessing you can figure out what exercises are better for you/your grappling and keep your $200

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 6:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pilates is massively overrated.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 7:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Pilates is massively overrated.
    Yes and no. I've done Pilates and it was fantastic for my posture, core strength, reducing back pain and improving balance. At the time I wasn't active at all so I saw a big improvement in the first few weeks, and steady improvement thereafter.

Once I started boxing, I found it was a much MUCH tougher workout, and the stretching and toning of Pilates seemed a bit weak in comparison. As for it's application to grappling, I'd suggest that if you are stiff, lack full range of motion or have poor balance it would help, but if you are already in pretty good shape you might not see a ton of improvement.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd stay away from Lloyd Irvin, great grappling instructor from what I hear, but the info presented in his material can be obtained online for free; hell, on Bullshido. I believe he just packages it up in a nice little neat package for you. If it's cheap, that's one thing, from what I've heard...it's not!

yes....

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 12:23pm

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i recommend pilates if you're injured--this is what we do in ballet when we can't dance--or if you REALLY need to improve core strength.

otherwise, you're better off training in what you do and doing some yoga if you want to improve your flexibility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 4:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So while we're on this subject, how do I get amazing Ryan Hall-esque flexibility? I assume the first step is to stretch regularly separately from training but what kinds of stretches/exercises are good to get awesome lower body flexibility (my upper body is already pretty flexible so I'd like to focus on getting my hips/legs up to par). I'd join a Yoga or pilates class, as we have plenty of those in Boulder, but my schedule is already full and I need something I can do on my own time.
    Last edited by artard; 8/28/2007 4:14pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie Bravo's new book starts with a section on stretches for opening up the hips, with caveats and estimated times to become proficient. Pretty good ****.

On the subject of pilates: The real pilates is good ****. Unfortunately, the name has been watered down. Now you have DVDs and gym classes that teach either a good portion of pilates (which is good) or some mild mixture of yoga mixed a plank position and some breathing exercises. I guess that's better than nothing, but if you are already flexible or with a strong core, that won't help you.

Not everything name pilates is really pilates. Real pilates actually requires specific exercise equipment, or at the very least it has to be taught by a certified Pilates instructor.

Know what you get for your $$$... and no single DVD is worth $200, not unless its some sort of revolutionary encyclopedia with techniques cleanly broken down.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Irvin's marketing methods put most mcdojos to shame. He needs to get hit by a bus.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast