Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shim Shin Do - Are these awards fake?

It seems like it is so hard to sort out the McDojos from the real McCoys and often I see instructors claiming all sorts of awards and titles from places and organizations I've never heard of.

Just out of curiosity I checked out 'Master' Sergio Barriga's Shim Shin Do website and it seems he is raking in awards faster than the 'Natural' is proving age isn't always an issue in the UFC.

OK, so I'm supposed to believe based on his press that 'Master' Barriga invented the only true American martial art. Now I'm supposed to believe he is being recognized by all these organizations as 'National and International Hall of Fame 2005 Grand Master of the Year' and 'Elite Head 2006 Founder of the Year.'

Does anyone know if any of these awards are close to being legit? Or is it as I suspect a bunch of fellow McDojo owners scratching his back in hopes of future returns?

You can see the awards on the home page of shimshindo.com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well it isn't until black belt that you develop practical fighting skills

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't copy the text because of their flashy interface, but if you go to the part about "the art", he says that sparring is bad because it makes you feel bad when you don't win, and thus sparring has been eliminated from the teaching curriculum. I think that says enough, in terms of measuring it against Bullshido's rubric of quality.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 8:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    I can't copy the text because of their flashy interface, but if you go to the part about "the art", he says that sparring is bad because it makes you feel bad when you don't win, and thus sparring has been eliminated from the teaching curriculum. I think that says enough, in terms of measuring it against Bullshido's rubric of quality.
    I realize that SSD is questionable at best based on having seen it first hand and the evidence on their own website.

My question is where do all these 'awards' come from? It seems like there are dozens of martial arts halls of fame. It's worse than the various boxing organizations.

This guy just happens to have a school in my area and seems to scream McDojo promoter.

When he claims to have won all these accolades it would be very interesting to be able to say 'bullshido.'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 9:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your answer is a 99.99999999% probability that yes, they're fake. I attended his school for two years... and from what I know of him...it's BS. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 9:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they are valid, then you're right. It's probably a circle-jerk.

Posted On:
    1/31/2011 3:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You bet they are!!! I am amazed that Grand Master "B" and his stolen art are still out there scamming people. Sad, very sad. This guy is no Grand Master and Shim Shin Do is no original art. Those of us that were there in the beginning know this to be true. Very few people stay around this guy long. Most figure him out pretty quickly. Watch out for this guy...he is ALL business! Its ALL about the money my friends. No honor, No integrity, No respect, and No limits to what this guy will do for money.