Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 12:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Street submission wrestle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need info on a guy called "The MMA Professor - Charlie Ward" claiming over 150 pro

Claiming over 150 pro fights and having a championship title as well. Any one?
    I don't even want to say who he is with you'll know when you look.
    I am just amased I haven't heard of him with over 150 fights.
    Here is his myspace profile here
    http://www.myspace.com/charlie_warhammer
    or http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=104737074

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this link that had an interview with him. Looks like he gets the name MMA Professor, due to him actually teaching a MMA college course! From the article mentioned above:

The Polytechnic Campus of Arizona State University hosts what Ward believes is the first of its kind: a program he designed himself to give college students class credit for learning how to fight. ďIíve done a full year of MMA for college credit so far,Ē he explained. ďDuring one semester, I taught an introduction to Muay Thai and Western boxing and an intro to submission grappling.
    I did a check on ASU's wepage and found the following:

http://www.poly.asu.edu/reccenter/Combatsports.html

I wish my school offered an MMA course for credit!

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    I found this link that had an interview with him. Looks like he gets the name MMA Professor, due to him actually teaching a MMA college course! From the article mentioned above:

I did a check on ASU's wepage and found the following:

http://www.poly.asu.edu/reccenter/Combatsports.html

I wish my school offered an MMA course for credit!
    The best we have is Fencing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 2:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Street submission wrestle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just think it is weird that on his myspace site he is claiming to have fought over 150 fights. I mean hell even if he lost them all he would be pretty well known for some thing. Idk I just thought with that many fights some one would scoop you up, ya know?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankey
    I just think it is weird that on his myspace site he is claiming to have fought over 150 fights. I mean hell even if he lost them all he would be pretty well known for some thing. Idk I just thought with that many fights some one would scoop you up, ya know?
    Well, does he specificly say he had 150 fights, or 150 MMA bouts? I can't view Myspace at work so I'm not sure what it says on the site, but he could be talking about wrestling tournaments, boxing matches, MMA fights, Kickboxing matches, TKD matches, etc. and lumping all those together. Or he could be pulling Rickson and claiming every street fight and brawl in his total , or maybe he's like Dan Severn and has just had an insane amount of fights.

Perhaps someone should send him a polite message linking this thread and inquire about his fight record.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 4:37pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been living and training in Arizona since 1996 and I've never heard of this guy. He's apparently associated with "Team Apocolypse" and seeing how the owner of "Team Apocolypse" is Dallas Cordts and her fictitious 18-0 record I'm a bit skeptical of Charlie Ward's claims of 150 fights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 11:04pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He does show up here on the US Muay Thai Association website http://www.usmta.com/Trainers-and%20...ctors-MAIN.htm

However, I don't know how much background research they do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 1:31am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has no fight record I can find. He's been practicing since he was 4. 150 fights can mean anything. Smokers, streetfights, amateur, professional or spats with girlfriends. If he actually has 150 fights though I doubt any of them are full legit fights. Also it doesn't point out a win lose record so it's not like he's making himself ungodly or anything. Bottom line why doesn't anybody in the are go check him out?

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 2:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the classes/programs listed on the ASU Polytechnic Sun Devil Combat Sports Program web page is a style called "Tai'kor":
    Taiíkor (a system of Close Quarter Combat) is an educational and complete martial art style. It is complete in that Taiíkor covers all the fighting distances: Stand-Up Fighting, Grappling and Ground-Fighting, and Weapons Training. Techniques such as punching, kicking, blocking, throwing, pressure points, joint locks, submission tactics, weapon disarming, etc. are all studied by a practitioner of Taiíkor. It is also complete in that Taiíkor can be taught to anyone, despite age, sex, disabilities, etc. The very backbone of Taiíkor is the principle of adaptability. Hence, the system of Taiíkor itself can be adapted to anyone. With its wide variety of techniques and tactics, it is a combat art form that can easily be customized to suit any person of any size and strength. Thus, the student receives a totally adaptable martial arts education that prepares him/her for real-life combat in the best possible way. This martial art; based on methods of angles, distance, timing, and rhythm, is like inserting a key into a lock. Every attack or counter defense of this art flows with absolute authority into the next. The transition time between any change in technique should be continuously minimized in order to have economy of motion. The art of Taiíkor, like other effective combat martial arts, all have this type of efficiency and fluidity. Furthermore, what makes Taiíkor so effective in combat is its ability to fight with or without a weapon, without a change in cadence or rhythm. If you should lose your weapon or become disarmed; your hands, feet, elbows, knees, forehead, etc. will automatically take their place without a pause. This dynamic flow allows one to attack an opponent from limb to limb if necessary, offering severe destruction of the opponent and ensuring your survival. Fancy and flashy techniques are not used or practiced. Straight-forward, practical techniques are mastered; techniques that anyone can use in real-life situations where they must work. Taiíkor is a devastatingly effective martial art, meant for No Holds Barred combat. The word ďTaiíkorĒ means ďThe Complete Way.Ē
    I couldn't find any info on this style through Google. Anyone know if Tai'kor is a historical art or not? I would assume that this is just an arbitrary name for Mr. Ward's own personal MMA system to give it a more "exotic" flavor(?). Nothing necessarily wrong with that, although it does seem kinda funky that it's listed underneath MMA, Muay Thai, Western Boxing, and Submission Grappling as a separate system. The picture of a guy doing a flashy jumping roundhouse kick also seems a bit much, but I know more than a few MMA schools aren't above posting overly flashy techniques on their websites to garner attention.

Overall, I don't see anything TOO alarming about this guy... he is certified in Muay Thai and CQC by (what seem to be) a legit organizations, and he does have a fight team. However, only two of his fighters (Roy Mitros and Dan Freitas) appear to have verifiable fight records, and Mr. Ward doesn't have any submission grappling credentials listed on his USMTA profile.

Hmm.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 2:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take back what I said about not being too alarmed by this guy. The more I read about Charlie Ward, the more suspicious I get. His USMTA profile claims that he has "been a professional NHB fighter for many years in the U.S. and overseas." His description also states that he "retired from competition as an NHB champion, with over 150 fights, and more than 70 knockouts." You'd think a guy with that kind of record would be well-known among MMA fans and would have fought in the big organizations like Pride and the UFC.

Another online profile goes into more detail on Mr. Ward's fight record:
    I was a professional MMA / NHB bare-knuckle freestyle fighter for twelve years in the U.S. and overseas. I retired from professional competition as the 5-time undefeated world champion of the IFCQC. I retired with a professional NHB record of 89 - 0, 76 K.O., and an overall MMA / NHB record of 153 - 5. Back in the day, it was common to fight multiple times in one night, and to compete in several events of that nature per year. I now dedicate my time to teaching my craft to others. I believe in providing the most complete and comprehensive martial arts and fitness education possible to my students and clients.
    I've had no luck finding any fight record for this guy, or any information regarding an organization called "IFCQC." With a professional record of 89-0 with 76 KOs, one would assume that there'd be plenty of info on this guy all over the web. Anyone else here have better luck than me?
Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast