Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 11:28pm

Style: Man-ho Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    You just have to remember, 90% of the fight game is half mental
    Haha, that is gold, I liked it so much I just put it in my sig.

In the early UFC's, ground game, specifically BJJ was the unknown skill in most fighters, so if

Is the clinch, and Greco/Roman the new unknown x factor skill?

I know a 'MMA' (read MT and BJJ) school in Brisbane have recently got a Greco Roman instructor. Will these people start popping up everywhere now?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 11:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't take credit for it, attribute it to Yogi Berra, legendary Yankees baseball player who also gave us such gems as "Why don't you pair'em up in threes" and Q. "What time is it?"
    Berra "You mean right now?"
    And yes, it does seem that the clinch-fighters, especially the Greco-Roman wrestlers (Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, et all) are finally having their day in the sun.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Fedor has beat people with better wrestling.
    Actually, the only person with better wrestling credentials that Fedor has beaten is Lindland, who wrestled at 167 lbs. Against everyone else with wrestling credentials even close to Randy's (Coleman, Randleman, etc) Fedor ended up on the bottom very quickly. He was able to be effective from the bottom versus those fighters, but it's pretty evident that none of them are anywhere near Randy as far as well roundedness, sub defense, or striking, so a Fedor/Randy matchup is still very unpredictable in terms of who does what to whom.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:06am

Style: Man-ho Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    . Against everyone else with wrestling credentials even close to Randy's (Coleman, Randleman, etc) Fedor ended up on the bottom very quickly.

He was able to be effective from the bottom versus those fighters, but it's pretty evident that none of them are anywhere near Randy as far as well roundedness, sub defense, or striking, so a Fedor/Randy matchup is still very unpredictable in terms of who does what to whom.
    I would agree, in every Fedor highlight reel, is him getting slammed by Randleman, then somehow recovering in the next minute and whacking on the Kimura.

Fedor has championship conditioning and is a smart tactician, which I think Randy is also.

I still feel that Fedor if he ever fights Randy is going to make pretty short work of him. Fedor is a relentless striker, just keeps going and going, doesn't allow people to recover, that is how Randy lost to Chuck both times, I think if Gonzaga would have pushed the point he may have won this fight, Randy looked pretty rocked 2-3 times.

I think Fedor is the better striker, and would rock Randy, and then finish the job very quickly, let me call it TKO strikes 2:30 of the first round.

In saying that I wouldn't care who wins, this would be a worldclass match-up. (I'm sure they could get a Rocky v Ivan Drago cold war theme going as well, to suck in the part-time fans.)

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

:P
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:32am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Randy gets brutally KTFO in career-ending style during his next fight, will people still be talking about him like he is some kind of god?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 4:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More importantly, will they keep wasting my time by posting stupid Chuck Norris jokes over and over? Try something funnier, like parents burying their children.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 4:53am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Thread chaff aside, this is Mr. Couture's genius distilled. He studies his opponent. Then Randy develops a fightplan that neutralizes his opponent's strengths so that said opponent is forced to fight outside his comfort zone.

I believe that Randy is currently the most talented fight strategist in the business.
    Ah, so he's not Captain America. He's Batman.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Actually, the only person with better wrestling credentials that Fedor has beaten is Lindland, who wrestled at 167 lbs. Against everyone else with wrestling credentials even close to Randy's (Coleman, Randleman, etc) Fedor ended up on the bottom very quickly. He was able to be effective from the bottom versus those fighters, but it's pretty evident that none of them are anywhere near Randy as far as well roundedness, sub defense, or striking, so a Fedor/Randy matchup is still very unpredictable in terms of who does what to whom.
    So he's beaten better and comparable wrestlers. Coleman also competed in an Olympics, which Randy never did, and did so close to his current weight. Roidleman's collegiate career is enough to argue he was at least at the level of an Olympic alternate. So the answer is still, yes, Fedor has.

Regardless, my point remains that it isn't just wrestling ability that is the key to Randy's success. You ignored the relevant point of my post. While drunk I was asked by some guys I was sitting near who would win the fight: my answer was Randy, because he always has the correct gameplan and know how to apply it.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 6:45am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    If Randy gets brutally KTFO in career-ending style during his next fight, will people still be talking about him like he is some kind of god?
    Thread chaff aside, I believe so. A career is taken as a whole, the Michael Jordan example is very similar, though I personally dont think Jordan's come back was as spectacular as Couture.
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    More importantly, will they keep wasting my time by posting stupid Chuck Norris jokes over and over? Try something funnier, like parents burying their children.
    Hey, I've been making the combined ones up myself, not just replacing one name with another. Even though you suggest it, there arent any dead children within a mile of Randy Couture anymore anyway. They've all been resurrected by Chuck Norris.

We've been talking gameplan as Randy's key to these last two fights. I think the year off also had something to do about it. Injuries add up and a year of healing can only help.

The game plan vs Tim had to do with Tim's desire not to lose and Tim's caution in striking as a result. The game plan vs Napao looked to me as Randy's effort to assert the dominance of the clinch in order to negate the striking and ground game advantages of Napao.

Randy, and those working with him, are obviously also the masters of tape study - finding the weaknesses of his opponents. As this game continues its incredibly fast evolution, this aspect at the high level is going to become incredibly important.

We will have to wait and see if the fighters working out with Randy can learn enough from him to be able to develop and execute their own game plans in such a way as to make this a factor for them as well. I think this will show up in Karo Parysian's next fight for example. Whomever Parysian faces will have been studied and the Extreme Couture Camp will have mapped out any weakness.
    Last edited by Askari; 8/29/2007 6:48am at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast