Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 4:10pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some times you have weak spots- could you do 10 squats with a bar that weighs the same as you, and deadlift 1.5 x times your bodyweight on a bar ( in other words, if you weigh 150, can you deadlift 225 ten times). I got these standards from Stadion.com. The guy was the Polish judo champ, so these standards should be pretty good. Go on that site and see how you stack up. Still, it is a combat sport, and your opponent is trying to slam you, so, you are always risking an injury.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i broke my hand doing bjj two weeks ago...

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 4:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the students start on their knees and they're not all raw whitebelts then most likely BJJ will be easier on your body.

Where I train there are many older Judoka who now train BJJ because their bodies can no longer tolerate being slammed to the mat on a regular basis.

Ultimately, any art that regularly trains at close to full contact speeds is going to see its' fair share of injuries.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 5:17pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had my share of injuries doing bjj, but doing ocasional judo practice, watching a lot of highlights of judo comps e knowing a lot of judo bums...I would call judo as the more injury orientated. I'm a big guy, my knees are like jello sometimes so I thank god most of my practice starts midway to the ground!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 12:05am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it all boils down to what level your training to. If you're competing seriously, you'll see more injuries. If just recreational, then you might get the freak accident every now and then. Just figure out who's who in the class. Don't work with a spaz, work with the technicians.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 9:47am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    Kevin:

Think about joining a club that does both and administer them acc to your capabilities :)

I coach judo at BMAA once a week (Fridays 6:30-8), and there's BJJ at least 4 nights a week.
    Email me (tomasdrgon@hotmail.com).

Lookie here:
    http://www.baltimorejudo.mysite.com/cgi-bin/blog

Tomas

I wondered when they were finally going to tap you for some Judo classes.

I've really been thinking a lot about this the past couple of days and I've decided to just suck it up and keep training. Life is too short to stop doing things you love just to avoid possible injury. Hell, my Father-In-Law screwed up his back by sneezing. When we're old you and I can develop wheel chair Judo.

All this thinking about BJJ has really motivated me to add it to my training. You know my ground game is, um...well...

Anyway, I just need to figure out which club to join. I like the idea of going to BMAA because I already know you, Mike and Gary, but they do contracts which I have a problem with. I need to do a little more research.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started out doing Judo and went into BJJ once it was available where I lived.

Judo can create some spectacular injuries and day-to-day it is a bit rougher. BJJ's main issue is that people will mistakenly stress your joints.

I've never had a major injury from either, thankfully, but if I had to pick one, I'd say BJJ is the one less likely to cause a major injury.

I was also a heavier judoka, during my most active years in competition judo, I was 6'3 and 200ish. Nowadays both judo and bjj are done in a no-gi, mma context, which makes them both slightly different sports, but I think they are both less "dangerous" without the gi then with it. Apologies to Karo.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12